Just picked this up : 4x12

• Thread starter Trouble Free
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble Free

Reaction score
I just picked this up, I don't know anything about marshall cabs but this was with an amp so I own it.

It had a cheap piece of plywood on the back so I ordered a new one to install. Still need to get the support block and hardware.

I think it is possibly a 79', and the speakers aren't original? maybe someone could tell me what they are?

This tag was on the previous panel so I was wondering if it looks like the correct tag for cabinet?
If so I will attach it to the new panel. a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure
tempImageQtnl7B.jpg

tempImagegZnGRw.jpg
tempImagevxvwgZ.jpg
tempImagec8opQu.jpg
tempImageIwsT4M.jpg
speakers.jpg
tempImage25Yh05.jpg
tempImagehVu735.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble Free

Reaction score
yes that part is obvious, Would the tag be correct? for 79? speakers being from 79 suggests they could be original or were changed out shortly after the cabinet was sold.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they never were consistent with the badges. You'll see incorrect badges until the mid '80's. Very common.
Those are very sought after speakers though so this is a great score.
It appears to be all original. Small check cloth is out of production. Rivets on the handle would have to be drilled out to replace the baffle cloth so that's unlikely. Very few people would put rivets back.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire cabinet is made of plywood.

Was the back damaged? I know you said "cheap plywood" but if it has the original badge on it then the rear baffle is original too. It would be nice to keep it all together and original.

Later versions would use MDF for the rear but the rest remains baltic birch plywood.

Trouble Free

Reaction score
thanks guys not what I expecting to hear, as far as the back panel Its a piece of T1-11 siding I'll be really surprised to hear marshall used this ha ha There was only 4 screws holding it on so the cabinet vibrated so bad I couldn't use it. I did test it with a floor jack already so I would be heartbroken to know it was original. New one looks a lot better
back T1.jpg

Tatzmann

Reaction score
These cabs came with MDF backpanels.
Cheapskates at Marshalls said so.
Now the funpart. This uber intelligent person didn't like MDF backs, because he heard from a guy that said that a wooden back will give the woody tone. And now this dumbass, the cheapskate that he is, replaces the back with those pesky woodpanels afixed with 4 screws.

Everyone here knows that tone is in the screws anyways.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks guys not what I expecting to hear, as far as the back panel Its a piece of T1-11 siding I'll be really surprised to hear marshall used this ha ha There was only 4 screws holding it on so the cabinet vibrated so bad I couldn't use it. I did test it with a floor jack already so I would be heartbroken to know it was original. New one looks a lot better
oh my god that's atrocious! Just when you think you've seen it all... haha. Yeah in that case the new one is absolutely an improvement! I would try and transplant the badge but I just like to keep all the little things intact if possible, even if at the time they weren't even labelling them right. I'm sure you could sell it too. Hell, I could use the badge for one of my 100W cabs that's missing.

I would have just come on here and told everyone that rear panel came off the side of Jim Marshall's garden shed. They just had to keep those production numbers up!

Trouble Free

Reaction score
I don't know what happened to the original cover I assumed someone liked open back cabs and lost it. I didn't notice it till after I brought it home. Here is the new one, MDF came later? Doesn't matter cause I'm using this one I still have to drill some holes waiting on hardware.
Any advice on the missing support block? looks like these were just a square piece of wood directly to the back panel with out pad.
Are the support blocks originally pine?

back panel.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
you can just use a cut from a 2x4...

that's how the early cab's were. The 2x2 blocks, usually have a mounting piece for the front...

old style: (notched 2x4)

original.jpg

newer:

1726281267148.png

Latest posts