Just sat down with my favorite Strat and a small pile of my favorite Marshalls to "try the tone"!

• Thread starter Goober23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
This thread is worth reviving !

In fact, I'm surprised there isn't a Marshall/Strat thread that doesn't just run forever and ever.

There could even be a Super Strat thread, but that could get ugly.

Also, no offense to the Les Paul crowd. I cut my teeth on a Les Paul and still drag one out now and then, but over time found the Strat to get me where I'm going.

The SV20h and a Strat might be my final stop, but I have been cheating with an EMG SSA installed pickguard. It's an older version with an active mid-boost/sustain and not the one with the eq cut thing, even though that appeals to me as well. For me, the SSA gives the Strat the balls I need to get into the harder side of aggressive rock-blues without going full humbucker. Never go full humbucker on a Strat ( - :

The SSA can do the jangle thing if needed and the the 2 and 4 position on the selector can get that well known quackie tone. The neck pickup is fantastic and I really don't use 2 and 4 very much because of it.

Ironically, I don't chase Gilmour tones or anyone really and usually just sound like me. Good or bad, the SSA's allow me to still sound like me and not some clone. I also know active EMG's are not so popular anymore, but there are still some who get it. This also fixes the too bright thing when running Strats into Plexi type Marshalls. Just my 2 cents or less.

On a non-active, non-noiseless, nothing special OEM factory bridge pickup, it's going to be a bit ice picky with a SV20 (IMO) but you can lower and tilt the pickup to roll off some of that ice or just replace the pickup. Pickups with pole piece hex screws will further reduce the distance. YMMV.

Mainly I just wanted to post my 2 cents and maybe revive the Marshall/Strat topic or maybe there is one already.

After typing all these words, I kind of want a Super Strat again and with a wanker bar.

Oh the heresy !

cjs42079

Reaction score
This thread is worth reviving !

In fact, I'm surprised there isn't a Marshall/Strat thread that doesn't just run forever and ever.

There could even be a Super Strat thread, but that could get ugly.

Also, no offense to the Les Paul crowd. I cut my teeth on a Les Paul and still drag one out now and then, but over time found the Strat to get me where I'm going.

The SV20h and a Strat might be my final stop, but I have been cheating with an EMG SSA installed pickguard. It's an older version with an active mid-boost/sustain and not the one with the eq cut thing, even though that appeals to me as well. For me, the SSA gives the Strat the balls I need to get into the harder side of aggressive rock-blues without going full humbucker. Never go full humbucker on a Strat ( - :

The SSA can do the jangle thing if needed and the the 2 and 4 position on the selector can get that well known quackie tone. The neck pickup is fantastic and I really don't use 2 and 4 very much because of it.

Ironically, I don't chase Gilmour tones or anyone really and usually just sound like me. Good or bad, the SSA's allow me to still sound like me and not some clone. I also know active EMG's are not so popular anymore, but there are still some who get it. This also fixes the too bright thing when running Strats into Plexi type Marshalls. Just my 2 cents or less.

On a non-active, non-noiseless, nothing special OEM factory bridge pickup, it's going to be a bit ice picky with a SV20 (IMO) but you can lower and tilt the pickup to roll off some of that ice or just replace the pickup. Pickups with pole piece hex screws will further reduce the distance. YMMV.

Mainly I just wanted to post my 2 cents and maybe revive the Marshall/Strat topic or maybe there is one already.

After typing all these words, I kind of want a Super Strat again and with a wanker bar.

Oh the heresy !
I have EMGs in my ‘97 Strat Plus and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Also not chasing Gilmour tones.

LCW

Reaction score
My AO 50s Strat and DSL40CR make a great pair. FZ-1W, EHX triangle Big Muff (reissue), MXR M77 OD and Boss DS-1 all work great with it. As does the CE-2W in CE-1 mode.

Running though crunch channel with gain about half.

77451973-014B-4B1B-AEC4-8C6394A06CBF.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts