Just scored a 2553 Silver Jubilee!

• Thread starter growboxguy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

growboxguy

Reaction score
I just snagged a 1987 2553 Silver Jubilee and am looking for some tips and input.

What tubes would you recommend, I play mainly newer rock with some classic mixed in so maybe some higher gain preamp tubes?

Is there a way to add a second gain knob so each channel has its own? It appears they share the same knob :(

What footswitch do I need for this model?

How transparent is the FX Loop?

I was thinking channel one would be my clean channel with channel two being my dirty (while using an eq in the fx loop for a lead boost) although I see they call the second channel "lead", is it voiced differently than channel one?

Also I heard there is a minor mod so I can activate the clean/rhythm switch with a footswitch, true? And in a live situation when using a footswitch what does one do about the volume decrease when changing from clean to rhythm?

I have only heard one of these amps before and it frickn' rocked so I am willing to work around some of this amps issues.

Thanks for the hand!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I just snagged a 1987 2553 Silver Jubilee and am looking for some tips and input.

What tubes would you recommend, I play mainly newer rock with some classic mixed in so maybe some higher gain preamp tubes?

Is there a way to add a second gain knob so each channel has its own? It appears they share the same knob :(

I was thinking channel one would be my clean channel with channel two being my dirty (while using an eq in the fx loop for a lead boost) although I see they call the second channel "lead", is it voiced differently than channel one?

Also I heard there is a minor mod so I can activate the clean/rhythm switch with a footswitch, true? And in a live situation when using a footswitch what does one do about the volume decrease when changing from clean to rhythm?

I have only heard one of these amps before and it frickn' rocked so I am willing to work around some of this amps issues.

Thanks for the hand!
I have a 2558 combo otherwise the same. I would use clean for clean or crunch and lead for dirty, boost for solos. The master volume will allow you to set the difference between both channels. The shared gain is a bit of a pain but such a great sounding amp. Ompromise, set gain at 5 ish, back off guitar volume a little and it's cleanish, set master for volume and then use lead volume tp match levels. When you switch channels ( any single button footswitch BTW) you'll have more than enough grit. You do not need to mod it to use a footswitch. I know nothing of trying to mod it for 2 gains, why don't you put an OD pedal in front and use it to add dirt to the clean channel, can also pull out the rhythm clip knob and get dirt on the clean channel although the overall volume drops.
The OD pedal will give you a 3rd voicing. I use vintage tubes, it is a very dark sounding amp, if you want more highs use an old GE or Philips or Amperex in V1 slot. I use an old RCA in V1 and a GE in V2. Try it as is and see how much you like it first, it's very personal. It's worth trying various things as workarounds rather than modding. FX loop is OK, I find it loses a touch of balls....Hope this helps, welcome to the club!!

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
A Marshall P801 channel footswitch is what you need.

The LEAD MASTER acts as a gain/volume for the LEAD channel.

The RYTHYM channel is used for cleaner playing.

Set the preamp GAIN and RYTHYM CLIP the way you like your clean sound and then set the LEAD MASTER to match or be a little louder when switched to LEAD channel.

The effects loop works fine. Place any other OD, distortion, boost and other effects in the loop to control the rest.

You can move things around in the signal chain as you wish to get the desired setup and sound.

I would not modify it to get something that pedals or effects can do outboard.

Here is the handbook if you need it.
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2550manual.pdf

Add
Yes the RYTHYM channel is totally different than the LEAD channel.

Last edited:

stilllifer

Reaction score

Thanks for the hand!

What cab r u going to run it thru? That will also make a difference with different drivers - I think they came with cabs loaded with G12T-75's but it will sound different with different drivers...try a few of them out along with various preamp and power amp tubes before modding...

growboxguy

Reaction score
Jubilees are not seen all that often in good condition. If you have any concerns about retaining value I would stay away from modding it.......

After reading the responses to my post I agree, my goal is not to mod this beauty, thanks for the input.

growboxguy

Reaction score
What cab r u going to run it thru? That will also make a difference with different drivers - I think they came with cabs loaded with G12T-75's but it will sound different with different drivers...try a few of them out along with various preamp and power amp tubes before modding...

I will be running it through my 1960AV cab.

growboxguy

Reaction score
I have a pretty good selection of preamp tubes to play with, this should be fun.

By the way I paid $1050 to my door, was this a fair deal or did I over pay?

growboxguy

Reaction score
That is a great deal if in good condition.

:photos:

The 1960AV should sound awesome with it. It loves Vintage speakers.

Photos coming as soon as it arrives, it just shipped out today.

I can also get the matching 2x12 cabinet (not vintage 30's) for $400 to my door, opinions on buying that also?

growboxguy

Reaction score
A little dirty and the pots are gritty but its here! Trying it out on my Orange with a vintage 30, cant wait to hear it in action!

20140606_123007.jpg

20140606_123032.jpg

20140606_123105.jpg