JVM+Boss GX100 - issues, questions, exchange of experience

• Thread starter going7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

going7

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
new to this forum and hope you guys can help!

I own a JVM 410H and just recently got a Boss GX-100. Main goal is to keep the natural sound of my amp as real as possible and use the GX for effects, a bit of noise reduction (in HighGain channels) and recording. No need for amp/cab sims.

After tweaking around for a few days and reading through dozens of forum entries, I finally got it to sound quite good - but some issues remain.

1) When using the HighGain-Channels of my JVM (OD1/OD2, orange & red) I get substantially more (ground) noise WITH the GX-100 then without. WITH the GX, the noise is similar to that if you crank the mastervolume (only that it sits at 1/10). WITHOUT the GX, I only get a little bit of ground noise at the same volume. Is that normal, or is there anything to do BESIDES using noise gates in the effects chain? I managed to get rid of this noise by using two noise gates of the GX, one before the Send/Return and one after. However, the latter must be totally cranked (80/100) in order to get the amp silent, including unwanted effects on my tone. Therefore, I would prefer a way to minimize noise in the first place, and only kill the remaining fractions with the gates.

2) If using two noise-gates is the only solution, are there any JVM users (or other experts) here to help me optimize my noise gates? When touching the strings gently, the remaining "noise" I get sounds flickering/trembling (I assume that is the gates closing/opening). I have 0 prior experience with noise gates, so I'm not sure if that is just normal - but to me, its really annoying. Is there a way to fix that? I played around with the threshould/release parameters a lot, but cant get it much better.

3) Is that a JVM / GX-100 specific issue and would another multi-FX perform better?

4) Any owners of this specific setup that want to exchange some general experiences?

Background info:
- connected the GX-100 with the FX Loop of my JVM410H via 4CM
- adjusted input/output settings correctly
- use -10dB switch at my amp and 100% wet setting for the loop
- I use only moderate volumes at the moment (home-use).
- I use brand-new instrument cables (Fender professional series)
- watched all Boss and Youtube videos on settings

Super thankful for any replies!
Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
new to this forum and hope you guys can help!

I own a JVM 410H and just recently got a Boss GX-100. Main goal is to keep the natural sound of my amp as real as possible and use the GX for effects, a bit of noise reduction (in HighGain channels) and recording. No need for amp/cab sims.

After tweaking around for a few days and reading through dozens of forum entries, I finally got it to sound quite good - but some issues remain.

1) When using the HighGain-Channels of my JVM (OD1/OD2, orange & red) I get substantially more (ground) noise WITH the GX-100 then without. WITH the GX, the noise is similar to that if you crank the mastervolume (only that it sits at 1/10). WITHOUT the GX, I only get a little bit of ground noise at the same volume. Is that normal, or is there anything to do BESIDES using noise gates in the effects chain? I managed to get rid of this noise by using two noise gates of the GX, one before the Send/Return and one after. However, the latter must be totally cranked (80/100) in order to get the amp silent, including unwanted effects on my tone. Therefore, I would prefer a way to minimize noise in the first place, and only kill the remaining fractions with the gates.

2) If using two noise-gates is the only solution, are there any JVM users (or other experts) here to help me optimize my noise gates? When touching the strings gently, the remaining "noise" I get sounds flickering/trembling (I assume that is the gates closing/opening). I have 0 prior experience with noise gates, so I'm not sure if that is just normal - but to me, its really annoying. Is there a way to fix that? I played around with the threshould/release parameters a lot, but cant get it much better.

3) Is that a JVM / GX-100 specific issue and would another multi-FX perform better?

4) Any owners of this specific setup that want to exchange some general experiences?

Background info:
- connected the GX-100 with the FX Loop of my JVM410H via 4CM
- adjusted input/output settings correctly
- use -10dB switch at my amp and 100% wet setting for the loop
- I use only moderate volumes at the moment (home-use).
- I use brand-new instrument cables (Fender professional series)
- watched all Boss and Youtube videos on settings

Super thankful for any replies!
Cheers
Sorry you're having trouble. I don't own a GX100, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. In my experience, almost anything that completely digitizes your signal is running your signal through a load of circuitry, and is bound to add enough noise to be noticeable through a high-gain preamp. You're probably already doing this, but make sure you have input gain set as high as possible without distortion, and the output only high enough for unity gain. Maybe it would be worthwhile to find a way to bypass the GX100 in front of the JVM when not using its before-preamp algorithms? I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions on how to do that. Good luck!

TheKman76

Reaction score
Not the same setup here, but I have a GT-1000 and DSL40CR, so not a million miles away. Also with 4CM.

First, I have a very noisy space to begin with which may account for having never noticed the extra noise in front. That said the only other person I've come across with a similar experience also had a GX100. Maybe there's something different about this unit, but I believe the GT-1000 and GX-100 are largely the same, at least sonically.

Regarding the noise gate, you should have only one placed after the preamp - in the effects loop, if you will - and set it to trigger on 'input'. The idea being that it looks for a trigger level at the GX input, but applies the noise gate in the effects loop, after your preamp.

Finally, I do have slightly more noise with the GT and higher gain settings, though I don't really use what metal players consider high gain. The three ways to combat this for me are:
1) Apply a high cut in the global EQ. Downside to this is some cleans loose shimmer and reverbs can sound a little dull.
2) Employ an EQ block before the loop block with a high-cut. Downside here may be that the noise in introduced by the ADC from the GX, so it may not help.
3) Employ an EQ block after the preamp, or last in the chain with a high cut. This will likely be to most flexible as you only need one for the high gain patches and you can leave the cleans alone to shimmer all they like.

Let me know how you get on.

going7

Reaction score
Not the same setup here, but I have a GT-1000 and DSL40CR, so not a million miles away. Also with 4CM.

First, I have a very noisy space to begin with which may account for having never noticed the extra noise in front. That said the only other person I've come across with a similar experience also had a GX100. Maybe there's something different about this unit, but I believe the GT-1000 and GX-100 are largely the same, at least sonically.

Regarding the noise gate, you should have only one placed after the preamp - in the effects loop, if you will - and set it to trigger on 'input'. The idea being that it looks for a trigger level at the GX input, but applies the noise gate in the effects loop, after your preamp.

Finally, I do have slightly more noise with the GT and higher gain settings, though I don't really use what metal players consider high gain. The three ways to combat this for me are:
1) Apply a high cut in the global EQ. Downside to this is some cleans loose shimmer and reverbs can sound a little dull.
2) Employ an EQ block before the loop block with a high-cut. Downside here may be that the noise in introduced by the ADC from the GX, so it may not help.
3) Employ an EQ block after the preamp, or last in the chain with a high cut. This will likely be to most flexible as you only need one for the high gain patches and you can leave the cleans alone to shimmer all they like.

Let me know how you get on.
Thank you, for your time and the suggestions! I tried out your ideas regarding putting only one NS in the chain, but the result is still not satisfying to me. I already experimented with an EQ block for cutting low/high frequencies. Meanwhile, I compared the Boss unit with pedal noise gates (ISP Decimator G-String II and TC Sentry) and have to conclude, that they perform far better than the GX - at least in combination with my rig. Hence, I won't follow the multi-fx path any further and will continue old school with pedals. Anyway, thanks again for your time and ideas! Cheers

TheKman76

Reaction score
My experience with Boss MFX is that you need to invest some time to get the best from them. I reckon I spent two months with the GT before I was confident getting it to do what I want, predictably.

It's not fer everyone. Good luck. :)

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have a DSL40CR in MIDI 4CM to a GT-100 and really don't get any of the same problems.
I do use the two gates pre and post preamp on the Ultra channels, but I have adjusted the post set for a sharper cut-off, with no flickering.

The main difference I am reading from your initial post is that you seem to be getting all your Gain from the JVM.
If so, this could be the reason for your extra noise.
I have my DSL gain settings for the Ultra channels high-ish, but below a point where preamp noise is apparent.
Then I use the GT-100 ODs to push the amp over into High Gain territory.

giblesp

Reaction score
Have you tried programming the JVM foot switch to switch the FX loop on and off?

I'm not sure if you can do this directly and haven't tried. But you could have a couple of identical tones saved, one with FX loop on, the other will FX loop off.

That way when you don't need effects, you can go back to the pure tone of your amp.

But if you are really not happy with the sound you are getting with the BOSS on in the loop, maybe it's not the gear for you.

I'm very fussy with tonesuck, and currently only use a couple of pedals. I'll probably try a loop switcher in future, for multiple pedals.

Last edited:

Latest posts