Jvm410 Tones Vs Jvm210/205 Tones

Federico Valle

Reaction score
I was told that the OD Channel of the 205 is the OD2 of the 410 (higain tones with scooped / shift middles to 500Hz instead of the classic 650Hz that Marshall has). But comparing the descriptions of the Owner Manual of both amps, the OD channel match the description with the OD1.
I guess that the first two modes of the OD of 210 are OD1 tones and the red mode is a OD2 tone for metal stuff.
Can anybody tell me how the JVM2 match with the JVM4?
Thanks!!!IMG-20160822-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I had a JVM210H. I liked it so much I bought the JVM410C. I liked that so much I got the JVM410HJS. I like the 4 series a lot more than the two series. Channel 1 and 2 (Clean and Crunch) on the standard 410 are great. I stay there mostly and go to OD channel for leads...but rarely . On the 410HJS I mosty play on channel 2. I like the clean on the original better because it has more grit. The clean on the Satriani version has a lot more head room before it distorts. You wont regret holding out for a 410.

BTW, the speaker combination on the 410C is amazing. The combo really cant produce a bad tone.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Just saw your added table.

Channel one red mode on the JVM410 is one of my favorites. I can dial in a vintage Marshall crunch tone perfect for classic 70s hard rock. Too me....it's a must have. I play this channel and mode all the time.

Same for channel two red mode. A must have. These two modes missing on 2 series JVM is why the 4 series is the way to go.

I don't play the OD channels much. The real discriminator are the clean and crunch channels on the JVM410.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
On my JVM210H, CHANNEL ONE red mode did not seem to have the balls of channel two red mode on my 410C and that mode seems a bit hotter on the satriani. It might have been the amp but I had it retubed and biased properly. The 410 definitely has more of everything.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
On my JVM210H, CHANNEL ONE red mode did not seem to have the balls of channel two red mode on my 410C and that mode seems a bit hotter on the satriani. It might have been the amp but I had it retubed and biased properly. The 410 definitely has more of everything.
I totally agree. The red mode on clean and crunch channels are killer. Sounds nice a punchy. More open sounding than od1 mode. But for fully saturated fat compressed marshall midrange, od1 orange and red cant be beat. Od2 is more in the Boogie territory. It definitely has its place, but I rarely use it. Yes, go for the 410. My favorite amp for sure...just make sure to heat up the cold factory bias..Mine was running at an ice cold 42ma.. I turned her up to 78ma and WOW! What a difference. Great master volume as deep purple stated. I can get fat tones at bedroom volumes...but once that master gets up to 4 or so, man it really opens up.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@Federico Valle :
If you are trying to decide between any JVM2 or JVM4, it's best to go down to the store and demo each. Both can be pricey, so for that reason alone it's good to play them in person.

Also, think of all the ways in which you will use the JVM (gigs, practice, recording), the kind of music you play, the number of channels/modes you will probably use most, and the kind of effects you are planning to use. If you put some good thought into it, I think you'll be much happier with the choice you make in the end.

Best of luck with your decision.

Federico Valle

Reaction score
@MonstersOfTheMidway
I already bought a 205H used (I have to look for it on Saturday).
I am a bedroom player, I play classic rock and hard rock, some blues... I like the sound of Angus, Slash, Hendrix,...
I think I wouldn't find significant differences between both amps, if I had a band probably I would go for the 410H, but for a hobby purpose, It's enough the 205H.
Thank you very much for your time!

Federico Valle

Reaction score
I have a Marshall HZ112 with a Celestion Marquee G12T66 or G12-66.
In the future I think I will go for a JVM212 Cab or a 1936 2x12... I am forced to wait in order to avoid that my wife hungs me! Hehehe!!!

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I have a Marshall HZ112 with a Celestion Marquee G12T66 or G12-66.
In the future I think I will go for a JVM212 Cab or a 1936 2x12... Otherwise my wife will hung me! Hehehe!!!

The cab is huge!! You will definitely want to upgrade!

The JVM212 cab is awesome and your amp will roar. Two words of caution. First, they are pricey......new they are about 900 dollars. More important they are not as wide as your head. They are the same width and depth as the JVM212 combos. But no doubt the amp will sound great.

I matched my JVMs to Celestion G12M Greenbacks (great), Vintage 30s ( good),G12T-75s (again very good) and G12-65 ( great). Go 2x12.... sound will be bigger with better bottom end. Any of the greenback will work great. Satriani uses 75s and like i said they sound good. V30s will cut in a band setting.

The Marshall 1936 is great and you can find a used on for 400 dollars. If brand is less important to you, Avatar and Carvin make high quality cabs at much lower price points.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@Federico Valle:
Glad to hear you have your 205H. I've used the 210H and 205H at different times with bands-I've learned that both sound great when paired with an excellent cab that fits your preferences.

I own a stock 410H that I bought brand new many years ago; it's still going strong with no problems and sounds as good as it did on day one. Love the JVM series, but I'll always be partial towards the JVM410H.

Hope you are enjoying your 205H down in beautiful Argentina, and that you are enjoying your time here on this forum.

Federico Valle

Reaction score
The cab is huge!! You will definitely want to upgrade!

The JVM212 cab is awesome and your amp will roar. Two words of caution. First, they are pricey......new they are about 900 dollars. More important they are not as wide as your head. They are the same width and depth as the JVM212 combos. But no doubt the amp will sound great.

I matched my JVMs to Celestion G12M Greenbacks (great), Vintage 30s ( good),G12T-75s (again very good) and G12-65 ( great). Go 2x12.... sound will be bigger with better bottom end. Any of the greenback will work great. Satriani uses 75s and like i said they sound good. V30s will cut in a band setting.

The Marshall 1936 is great and you can find a used on for 400 dollars. If brand is less important to you, Avatar and Carvin make high quality cabs at much lower price points.

@Deep Purple fan
Oh! Yes, Thanks! I noted that the JVM212 they are not as wide as the head... so I will go for a 1936 or a 1936V.
I a one shot investment... I will go to a Marshall unless I get a very good oportunity in a other brand cab 2x12!

Federico Valle

Reaction score
Guys
The deal for the 205 failed, apparently the pedal fs is not working well, botoms 1, 3 and 4 aren't responding properly, so unless we find a new one (here in Argentina, you can't buy only the pedal fs, or find the way to fix it) the transaction is down. It's a shame, it would be a good deal if everything was fine.
I'm still looking for a JVM, so may be I can go for the 410! In fact I'm gonna bid for one... hope I can get a good price, otherwise I'll keep searching for a 205h.

Last edited:

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Guys
The deal for the 205 failed, apparently the pedal fs is not working well, botoms 1, 3 and 4 aren't responding properly, so unless we find a new one (here in Argentina, you can't buy only the pedal fs, or find the way to fix it) the transaction is down. It's a shame, it would be a good deal if everything was fine.
I'm still looking for a JVM, so may be I can go for the 410! In fact I'm gonna bid for one... hope I can get a good price, otherwise I'll keep searching for a 205h.
Man I'm telling u...get the 410. Skip the 210. You'll be much happier.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys

Why couldn't you just buy a separate footswitch? I did that with my JVM 210. I bought a 410 footswitch used from eBay, and it works great with the 210.

Federico Valle

Reaction score
I have a deal for a 410h, tomorrow I'm going to see it, if everything is OK... Habemus JVM410H... and then the question will be... is it dangerous to take out a pair of valves to get a power of 50w instead of 100w? and of course, I guess there is a lot of information about that!

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I have a deal for a 410h, tomorrow I'm going to see it, if everything is OK... Habemus JVM410H... and then the question will be... is it dangerous to take out a pair of valves to get a power of 50w instead of 100w? and of course, I guess there is a lot of information about that!

I can't answer this completely. I believe it is ok to do that BUT you have to half the impedance. In other words 4 tubes running into a 16 ohm cabinet you would use the 16 ohm tap. If you pull 2 tubes and run into a 16 ohm cabinet you would use the 8 ohm tap.

Latest posts