DSL40CR- Help dialing the amp in - Tone questions

• Thread starter Whizzinby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matttornado

Reaction score
I Use my DSL 40CR Live and my settings are like this:

Clean red channel gain & volume: 5-6
OD 1 green: gain 7-8
volume: 5-6
treble: 3
Mid: 4-5
bass -3
presence: 2-3
resonance 3-5
Power = 40 watt
master volume: depends on the gig but usually around 1/2 way up between 4-6.

RU Experienced

Reaction score
I Use my DSL 40CR Live and my settings are like this:

Clean red channel gain & volume: 5-6
OD 1 green: gain 7-8
volume: 5-6
treble: 3
Mid: 4-5
bass -3
presence: 2-3
resonance 3-5
Power = 40 watt
master volume: depends on the gig but usually around 1/2 way up between 4-6.

I'm pretty new to this amp and have been working with some of the suggested settings in this thread. I have what is probably a stupid quetion (which I suppose could apply to any amp). When describing ones settings--i.e. volume 5, bass 9, etc. Do these numbers reflect the face of a clock, or the numbered position of the knob which goes from zero to 10? There's a big difference between 9 o'clock and 9 on the dial. Adding to the confusion, I see some describe putting a setting at "noon".

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this amp and have been working with some of the suggested settings in this thread. I have what is probably a stupid quetion (which I suppose could apply to any amp). When describing ones settings--i.e. volume 5, bass 9, etc. Do these numbers reflect the face of a clock, or the numbered position of the knob which goes from zero to 10? There's a big difference between 9 o'clock and 9 on the dial. Adding to the confusion, I see some describe putting a setting at "noon".
"Noon" means pointing straight up. Unless the word "o'clock" is used, start by assuming that the numbers refer to the numbers on the panel.

I think we had a thread discussion of what should be the convention for posting settings a while ago. I don't think the thread resulted in a consensus, but it makes most sense to me to use the numbers/markers on the panel, unless the amp has no markers whatsoever. I think it is fine to refer to 5 as "noon" as a shortcut. I assume everyone knows what that means.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
When ever someone asks for settings, mine are on the dial otherwise as seventh son said, the O’clock will come into play,.
Cheers to getting your amp in the place you are searching for...

Mitch

GregM

Reaction score
I just read this whole thread, dunno why, I was at work so meh, I got paid for it anyhow, as I only have a baby dsl but....
Noone has really mentioned the guitar settings, I remember the OP said he had played acoustic for 10 years previously and forked out an bought an LP
The tonal changes you can get on just your guitar are amazing. I rarely twiddle with my amp for tone changes apart from switching channels, I always fiddle with guitar more.
P. S. I should add the attack on the guitar changes the tone heaps, I watched some Rhett skull video I think ( he bores me but the old dude he skyped with was cool and put on a great demo, I'll see if I can find it

Last edited:

GregM

Reaction score
Bah can't find it, Tim Peirce talked about keeping the guitar volumes low and the amp dialled up to play both clean and dirty just by different attacks you use on the guitar, was a really good watch and I've used it since, I still suck, but I can suck in lots of different ways now :)

RU Experienced

Reaction score
well I just figured out that if using the DSL "emulated out", the MVs and FX loop are AWOL. I have a lot to learn about amp circuits I guess, but it seems if one wanted to utilize the emulated out, those controls would be nice to have.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
How is it? Actually since I got the SV I've been thinking I might change my handle to littleplexi then you can be purpleplexi....

RU Experienced

Reaction score
The em out is a line level to go into another amp so it can only be at a fixed level.

Well, that's interesting. From the Owners Manual:

".......
Emulated line level output for headphones or connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording."

So, the effects in the loop are not factored in when going for 'best possible tone'. Using my headphones for practice, I'll just need to run all effects into the front I guess.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
well I just figured out that if using the DSL "emulated out", the MVs and FX loop are AWOL. I have a lot to learn about amp circuits I guess, but it seems if one wanted to utilize the emulated out, those controls would be nice to have.
I thought the FX Loop was before the E/out?
I'm sure I did a check and my conclusion for the DSL40CR was:

Channel Gain > Channel Volume > EQ & Tone Shift > FX Send > FX Return > Reverb > E/Out > Presence & Resonance > MVs

Someone correct me if that's wrong!

RU Experienced

Reaction score
I thought the FX Loop was before the E/out?
I'm sure I did a check and my conclusion for the DSL40CR was:

Channel Gain > Channel Volume > EQ & Tone Shift > FX Send > FX Return > Reverb > E/Out > Presence & Resonance > MVs

Someone correct me if that's wrong!

I stand CORRECTED. FX indeed ARE included in the EM Out. I've been using the 6 position foot controller and must have stepped on one too many switches. Sorry for the confusion folks. I'm new and learning as I go. Appreciate all the help

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Well, that's interesting. From the Owners Manual:

".......
Emulated line level output for headphones or connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording."/QUOTE]

As much as I like Marshall the truth is it sounds shit.

CBenson89

Reaction score
How do you guys set the amp up so it doesn't sound fuzzy? I have a new DSL40CR and I feel like if I turn the gain up to high or the treble it starts to sound really fuzzy there is too much treble. I use a 2009 gibson sg standard and a 2019 Gibson LP Standard 60's edition. I literally took the first amp back to the store because I thought it was broken and now the same issues still happen. I just feel like I can't get a good tone or if I get a good tone there isn't any gain. Thank you so much!

Doug63

Reaction score
I bought a Marshall DSL40CR about a month ago, was looking for some advice on dialing it in and some answers to how each knob/switch impacts tone. TBH I can get an ok clean tone, which I’m then using as a pedal platform, but I cannot get a high gain distortion tone I like with any of the higher gain channels (Clean Crunch, OD1, or OD2) OD2 provides plenty of saturation but no clarity or articulation, and the other channels a bit too mid-rangy and not enough bite. Anyways would love some feedback...

1. For those that have the amp, what settings do you use for the various EQ’s and switches
  2. For those that don’t, what is your general method of dialing in a Marshall amp?
  3. Channel volume vs Master Volume, what are they affecting within the amp? I’ve operated under the assumption the channel volume would be driving the preamp and master would be power amp. Trying to determine where best to set these.
  4. Presence and Resonance. I get that these are tone settings at the power amp stage, unlike the three band eq which is done at the preamp stage. But, generally speaking how are these used? Let’s say you have too much bass, would you first back off the Bass knob or the Resonance? Let’s say you want more treble or high end, would you start with Presence or the Treble knob? Also, is noon the “neutral” setting for these, or are they cumulative, meaning at zero they aren’t affecting tone from the preamp eq and turning them up only adds to the tone?
  5. Tone shift button. The manual states selecting this reconfigures the preamp EQ to add new tone shaping. Also they note for Mids, controls are accentuated with tone shift enabled. To my ears enabling tone shift slightly scoops and compressed the overall sound. Which I find oddly improves the tone somewhat on higher gain channels, even though I hate scooped sounds. What accentuation is occurring with the mid knob with tone shift enabled?
what is the difference between the C and the CR? I have the DSL 40C its decent

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The CR has better a stock speaker in the V-Type, and two Master (Master?) Volumes.
There is also the option of MIDI switching (all channel modes, MVs, and FX Loop ON/OFF).
And all modes, MVs, and FX Loop can be switched via the PEDL-91016 footswitch (costs extra).
The overall tone of the 40CR is slightly darker than the 40C, so no bright cap mod needed!

Last edited:

CosmoKramer

Reaction score
How do you guys set the amp up so it doesn't sound fuzzy? I have a new DSL40CR and I feel like if I turn the gain up to high or the treble it starts to sound really fuzzy there is too much treble. I use a 2009 gibson sg standard and a 2019 Gibson LP Standard 60's edition. I literally took the first amp back to the store because I thought it was broken and now the same issues still happen. I just feel like I can't get a good tone or if I get a good tone there isn't any gain. Thank you so much!

Check your output tube bias man. I noticed my 40CR was sounding kinda fuzzy and the low end was flubby at high gain. Checked the tubes and they were biased at 30mV and 32MV; I pushed both up to around 38mV and it sounds perfect now, more full sounding and less hairy on the top end, and way more low end thump. Sounds like a Marshall's supposed to sound now. Maybe they're set low from the factory for longer tube life but I think the amp sounds better with the tubes running on higher voltage. Keep in mind Marshalls are pretty harsh sounding to cut through a mix and this is a loud amp. If you want good bedroom sound level tone playing without other instruments a pedal is really a better bet. I've had great luck running a Plexitone in front, sounds incredible at any volume. A good reverb in the loop helps too.

CBenson89

Reaction score
So I just got a multimemter in and biased my amp. I can't play right now becasue my daughter is asleep but both inputs read 40 and 41 MV when the optimum number is 35. What effect will this have on my amp now that I have it in the correct range. Thank you!

tincbtrar

Reaction score
Agree completely. My plate voltage with the bias turned down was like 435, so I shot for 65 percent @ 38mv.

35mv and below sounded thin and cold. Much happier with the amp now. Ill also note that it was set to 37.6 from factory, both tubes.

Check your output tube bias man. I noticed my 40CR was sounding kinda fuzzy and the low end was flubby at high gain. Checked the tubes and they were biased at 30mV and 32MV; I pushed both up to around 38mV and it sounds perfect now, more full sounding and less hairy on the top end, and way more low end thump. Sounds like a Marshall's supposed to sound now. Maybe they're set low from the factory for longer tube life but I think the amp sounds better with the tubes running on higher voltage. Keep in mind Marshalls are pretty harsh sounding to cut through a mix and this is a loud amp. If you want good bedroom sound level tone playing without other instruments a pedal is really a better bet. I've had great luck running a Plexitone in front, sounds incredible at any volume. A good reverb in the loop helps too.

Latest posts