JVM410H OD1 and OD2 with the gain at max

wonderingape

Reaction score
I tried to search for audio and video demos of JVM410H OD2 with the gain at max but I only found one which is in Thai. Many people said it was too noisy and non-usable. Have to watch and see some demos of OD1 and OD2 with the gain at max before getting one.

What's the difference between OD1 and OD2? Is it the gain?

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I tried to search for audio and video demos of JVM410H OD2 with the gain at max but I only found one which is in Thai. Many people said it was too noisy and non-usable. Have to watch and see some demos of OD1 and OD2 with the gain at max before getting one.

One main difference between OD1 and OD2 on the JVM4 amps is that OD2 uses a design feature where the mids are lower than OD1, which puts the low and high frequencies outfront and is easier to dial in a "scooped mids" sound.

In my experience with the JVM4 amps, setting the gain control at full on any mode of OD2 makes things a little tricky. First, you'll be battling "hiss" on almost any mode of OD2. Next, you might be battling feedback (this will depend a lot on where you set your channel volume control and master volume control). Third, the tone controls might not seem as effective because the gain is so overwhelming at maximum setting.

Both OD1 and OD2 have insane amounts of gain, but the hottest modes will always be red on either OD1 and OD2. You can probably get away with full gain on green modes of OD1 and OD2. Full gain on orange mode of OD1 and OD2 might be where things kinda get tricky.

You also need to make sure you have very quiet preamp tubes and power amp tubes to push the gain in a high gain amp like the JVM4 and JVM2 amps. Good quality pickups help; shielding of the guitar wiring helps; good quality cables help; noise gate might help.

I have owned my stock 410H for over 14 years, and in those 14 years I don't regularly set the gain to maximum (I think I did once out of curiosity). With what I need, the gain set low on red modes is a lot.

Bottom line is that all high gain amps will produce some noise, but how you deal with it will really depend on your choice of settings and the quality of your components.

Try out a few JVM4 and JVM2 amps yourself to see what you think.

wonderingape

Reaction score
In my experience with the JVM4 amps, setting the gain control at full on any mode of OD2 makes things a little tricky. First, you'll be battling "hiss" on almost any mode of OD2. Next, you might be battling feedback (this will depend a lot on where you set your channel volume control and master volume control). Third, the tone controls might not seem as effective because the gain is so overwhelming at maximum setting.
Is it like this? We can see he set the gain at max.

MoonKnighter

Reaction score
Probably is slightly Off Topic, but, at the end of the above considerations, do you think that the two Od channels may be respectively fit for different pickups?
I mean: the OD1 gain and tonal structure is, basically at least, best suited for single coils or humbuckers or P90s? And according to you all, what about OD2??

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

I dont think anybody would put gain on max, on any amp it would sound horrible, you'd have a ton of noise and muddiness, the tone would fall apart and be unusable.

67mike

Reaction score
Why would you set the gain at max on those hiss filled channels?

wonderingape

Reaction score
I dont think anybody would put gain on max, on any amp it would sound horrible, you'd have a ton of noise and muddiness, the tone would fall apart and be unusable.
Why would you set the gain at max on those hiss filled channels

Lately, I've been experimenting with this genre called harsh noise. You can hear what harsh noise sounds like on Youtube. For some it is an art, but for most people it is an utter sh*t. Many harsh noise artists utilized really brutal distortions, hence my question of "what did JVM410H sounds like when the gain on the OD2 channel at max".

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
..... Italian talking in typical Roman Slang :flex:, but playing pretty good and with good control of the gain ... to me
Yeah, there's definitely some hiss there, and the guitar starts feeding back at the end as soon as he stops playing. You'll notice in the video that he never really stops playing or tries holding any long chords or single notes for sustain; I think if he were to do any of those common playing techniques, then there would be lots of noise/feedback/etc. I also can't see where his channel volume is set or where the master volume is set, which would also have an impact on tone.

Again, there's way to control noise like hiss and some feedback. Noise gate would help a little. Also, buying preamp tubes with a lower gain factor would help and could actually make it easier to max out the gain and volume controls if that is the goal.

Redguitar

Reaction score
Lately, I've been experimenting with this genre called harsh noise. You can hear what harsh noise sounds like on Youtube. For some it is an art, but for most people it is an utter sh*t. Many harsh noise artists utilized really brutal distortions, hence my question of "what did JVM410H sounds like when the gain on the OD2 channel at max".
I read a long time ago that John Lennon ran his signal through a board input @ max trim & out to another input repeating that gain structure, maybe using a dozen or so channels. For the recording of Revolution.