JVM410H Series/Parallel FX Loop vs Power Amp Insert Series Loop

• Thread starter Dude705
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dude705

Reaction score
According to the JVM410H manual, the power amp insert serial loop can also be used as an effects loop. Aside from the obvious differences between the 2 loops (dry/wet knob, -10db/4db switch and the insert loop bypass/active switch), has anyone tried both for effects and what was your experience, likes, dislikes, etc. between the 2 loops? I plan on trying it but thought I’d ask in advance to see what the responses are.

I use this amp in 4 cable method.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I have a stock 410H. I mainly use the series/parallel fx loop with my devices. For the last few years, I run either multi-effects systems or rack effects systems in this loop, with the results being very good.
I've used the power amp insert/serial loop in the past in different way, but it just wasn't for me. In power amp insert/serial loop, I've used preamps, multi-effects, and rack systems. For example, I've used Axe-FX 2, Helix, HD500X, HD500, Alesis Quadraverb, G-System, G-major, TC Electronic 2290, Eventide H3000 & H9000, ADA MP1, Roland sde-3000 delay; these are a mix of old & newer systems. All these systems have high headroom capability, which makes them suitable for the line level signal requirement of the JVM's power amp insert/serial loop (but they can also be used in series/parallel fx loop, too). None of these devices sounded terrible in the power amp insert/serial loop, but I still prefer using them in the series/parallel fx loop instead.

Using these devices in the series/parallel fx loop gives me great switching options via MIDI. I can program the series/parallel fx loop via MIDI so that make a variety of changes to the amp AND the fx unit at the same time by setting up a preset on my MIDI footcontroller. Because the power amp insert/serial loop is a passive system that is triggered by a bypass/active switch, I would have to run over to the back of the amp and hit the switch every time (sometimes mid song). Thankfully, most of the fx devices I used are well-designed, allowing for use in either loop of the JVM.

That's how I do things. I encourage you to find what works best for you.