Jvm410hjs

• Thread starter lovehifi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Honeymoon is over but my love for this amp continues. I do not see myself buying another amp for a long time. Whether playing my R7 Les Paul or Jeff Beck Stratocaster I am so pleased with the tones I get out of the HJS! I settled on two 4 x12 cabs. A 90s built 1960TV with British Greenbacks and a 1960A with GT12-75s. Sometimes just use one or the other but most the time use both at the same time. So in short I could not be happier deciding on the HJS. That's all. :applause:

Jackdan

Reaction score
Honeymoon is over but my love for this amp continues. I do not see myself buying another amp for a long time. Whether playing my R7 Les Paul or Jeff Beck Stratocaster I am so pleased with the tones I get out of the HJS! I settled on two 4 x12 cabs. A 90s built 1960TV with British Greenbacks and a 1960A with GT12-75s. Sometimes just use one or the other but most the time use both at the same time. So in short I could not be happier deciding on the HJS. That's all. :applause:

Yeah I hear you, although I find the strat a bit fizzy with the hjs while dropping the gain down makes it sounds thin. I find my YJM much better suited with the strat. Any tone tips?

I love it with the super strat and the ESP I've got.

Btw I have a 1960 cab loaded with 75's - how do they compare to the greenbacks with the hjs?

Marker

Reaction score
The HJS is one of those amps that you can never make it sound bad / harsh. The tone is very well balanced and the EQ isn't extreme so, altough you can dial different tones on the same channel/mode, you never get too much away from the basic voicing.

Mine has become my giging amp over the TSL 100 for versatility, even tough I miss the punchiness and more complex tones of the TSL / Jubilee. The HJS has more quantity, sustain and gain at a price of pure tone richness.

The HJS records ok as well, even tough it lacks the midrange attack to stand out in the mix like a traditional Marshall.

I pretty much live on the crunch yellow/red and OD yellow.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Yeah I hear you, although I find the strat a bit fizzy with the hjs while dropping the gain down makes it sounds thin. I find my YJM much better suited with the strat. Any tone tips?

I love it with the super strat and the ESP I've got.

Btw I have a 1960 cab loaded with 75's - how do they compare to the greenbacks with the hjs?

My JB Strat with the Hot noiseless PUs did kind of the same thing. I dropped the Strat tone knob on the bridge PU down to about 5-6 and that seemed to help. The greenbacks sound great. I only wanted one cab and found the GBs just were not doing it for me on some of the extreme highs and lows. Almost harsh. The GT12-75s didn't do that but didn't have the mids I like. Therefore I use both cabinets and it sounds great to me. You know how that goes though. Tone is subjective. If I had to choose one cabinet or the other I would probably put the GT12-75s in my 1960TV cabinet and call it a day.

johnfv

Reaction score
It's interesting, I find the clean and crunch channels a bit on the dark side. It's great for my Strats but when I'm using humbuckers I really crank the mids and highs. The crunch channel is not nearly as bright as a 2204 for example. Regardless I'm a big fan of the JS. So many great tones at the push of a button from a single head.

richedie

Reaction score
Congrats, I actually prefer the stock one better. In the end, I am more of a Mesa and Bogner guy, but I also am in love with PWE amps as well. I still want at least one Marshall to kick around.

dreyn77

Reaction score
You guys have just confirmed what I thought.
the strat problem exposes the amp as too what it's actually doing.

nkay

Reaction score
The HJS has more quantity, sustain and gain at a price of pure tone richness.

The HJS records ok as well, even tough it lacks the midrange attack to stand out in the mix like a traditional Marshall.

I sold my old stock JVM and a 2205 to help fund the HJS. I really love it, basically a JCM 800 with a ton of gain, noise gate, and awesome switching features, but I have occasioanlly noticed what you mean about the midrange attack. It is definitely a darker, smoother amp. It's cuts well of course when I'm up against any other non-Marshall brand amp, but one time I took it over to the guy who bought my old 2205, and when we played them together, the 2205 just sliced and diced through my HJS. It made me miss it! I mean, the tone was similar of course, but the 2205 was just much more immediate and in your face.

dreyn77

Reaction score
No it's a L O N G way away from any 800. the 'ton of gain' tells you it's not the same and never will be!
Yep, it's a switching product.
you need to have a new sound adjusting technique with the HJS.