Kit build using Bugera or a TSL 60?

• Thread starter wallythacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wallythacker

Reaction score
I can't find an 800 series head I like for a price that jives with the head value.

I see beaten up horrid looking pieces of crap and the owner, when asked about service history, tells me he's owned it 15 years and it's never been into the shop but it screams and he only wants $1,500.

Then there's the guy who has a head with pots that are frozen because he uses it every other year for 2 minutes to windmill and although it's spotless and mint I'd be seriously worried about component failure when placed under extreme stress. And he wants $1,500 too.

Lastly, there's the guy who gigs a bit with his head, takes it into the shop every third year for a look-see and tune-up but he wants $2,250. At least he keeps all the bills to prove the work. Oh, and his head is great except for the big gouge when it was pulled off the stack and stage dived.

There's always the unaffordable reissue 800 2203 from Marshall which in theory is a 2203 but when opened up it's not the same.

So, I've decided the only way I'm getting an 800 2203 is if I build one. I own a TSL 60 that I got cheap, total cost to me is $300 when it's said and done. I'm worried that in 15-20 years un-modded TSL 60's have become very desirable and very expensive. You never know.

I'd use it for a conversion if the transformers are suitable, otherwise I can buy a Bugera 1960 for $300 and there's my woodwork, transformers, chassis, knobs, jacks and what not for less money than buying individual parts for a build.

Of course, this may all be nothing more than good intentions and never get done.

Any thoughts

wallythacker

Reaction score
JCM

or

Granger Amplification - 2204 Plexi valve amplifier

If you're going to go through the trouble to build one, I would start with a Ceriatone kit. If you can shell out 15 bills, buy the Granger.

15 bills will net me a clean 2203 with service history if I can WAIT

The ceriatone seems pretty cool but then I still need a cabinet and I suppose my tsl 60 would do, saving me the $210 or so from the, can't recall the name head cabinet guys.

I buy a Bugera 1960 for $300 and see what's inside. It sounds Ok on the internet and there's enough mods for it and I thought I saw a p-to-p project page as well.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
you should trade or sell me that tsl 60. :D

it likely won't be worth much though (but please don't mod it. I would give it a good pampered home and studio to work in) they have a poor rep on build and people are often scared to buy them (myself included) but I miss owning a marshall and the tsl was one of the first I owned. mutilate a bugera not the tsl.... that's just MY opinion though but again I would happily trade you something for it. or several somethings...

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
Hi all,

yeah - I would not want to mod the TSL either. Also remember that either amps have pcb boards in them so they are not nice to rebuild so the pcb boards have to come out - basically you will need to gut quite a lot. The Bugera is a cheaper basis to start with but the trafos are non-Marshall by design and may not give you a Marshall tone afterwards... There's lots of snobbery amonsgt the Marshall elitists...

Lol! Cheers Brett

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Get an old Laney AOR Pro Tube 100 and build from there. The six-knob version is pretty much a hot-rodded 2203 and they have massive iron. They are made in England and around the same price as the Bugera. You might even like it as-is.

Ken

Reaction score
Forget the value of the TSL. If you're not using it, flip it for $4-500.

Building an amp would be lots of fun and unless you build them all the time, a learning experience too. I can't quite get my head around the 'either/or' though. Building an amp will take a while and your time is not free even if you don't bill yourself!

The fun of a build not withstanding, if I were you I'd buy the 800 that just sat and then have my tech go through it. You'd still be well under $2k with new caps. tubes, a bias. And you'll have the amp you want.

Ken

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I have been thinking along the same lines as you...my thoughts are to get an old Traynor to modify. And also, I've seen busted 3210's on EBAY for cheap which would take care of the knobs, chassis and headshell, some pots etc...

wallythacker

Reaction score
An old Traynor. Now why didn't I think of that? They are so common around here people use them to park their dirtbikes on.

I also like the Laney idea. That sounds great. In my budget range.

Well then the TSL 60 gets flogged. I'll put some proper preamp tubes in, bias her up and say goodbye. Watch, I'll probably find a tone in her I've been chasing forever and then I can't sell her.

wallythacker

Reaction score
I knew it would happen.

I dropped the new EH preamps into my TSL 60 and used the same 99 03 Svetlana output tubes. Good lord. It now roars like a fire breathing dragon. I found a really sweet tone on the lead channel with my Squier Jag that I dig.

I also lucked out and within the week got a Bug 1960 and a Laney AOR 100 Series II for reasonable money. I figure I better snag the amps as I see them. I can flog off those I don't like later.

But I'm liking the Laney. Not as much as my TSL 60 nor more than the Bug but the potential to do mods has me excited as all get out.

In the grand scheme I think my TSL 100 will hit the road. It's 9.9/10 mint so will bring a good $$$. I can use the proceeds to start modding the Laney and/or finding a Traynor to mod.

I'm still well under $1000 for the TSL 60, the Laney and Bugera 1960.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an idea... you could get a JCM800 2203HW board from Ceriatone and use the Laney PT, OT and choke.

bc12B.jpg

+1 on those Svetlana EL34's. They are the same ones being sold today under the =C= brand. They sounded great in my DSL50.

wallythacker

Reaction score
The Ceriatone board with the Laney parts is a great idea. I'm ordering one today.

Thanks for that.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem. I really like their stuff. A friend has a Ceriatone 1987 that sounds as good as any Marshall I've heard. Be sure and let us know how it turns out! :thumb:

wallythacker

Reaction score
Well, a Ceriatone board is out. By the time I buy it, pay the ridiculous freight (ships out @2.5kg. Really? an 8 ounce board and 8 ounces of parts needs 5lbs. of shipping material?), add the anal raping from UPS, the anal raping from duties and a final anal raping to convert it to my currency it's now a $275 purchase.

Nope. That's 25% of the landed cost of a Weber 100 plexi kit.

I certainly have enough raw material now to fashion my own PTP 2203 build. I have virtually nothing in the Windsor head, having picked it up with a 1936 cheap and selling the 1936 to cover nearly all the cost. There's my starting point.

It will be interesting to compare it to my 2203RI when it's done.

Latest posts