• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

KT66 & Cathode Bias?

• Thread starter Gene Ballzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
Maybe consider the 290MAEX PT https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/290MAEX.pdf
That gives a lot of flexibility, HT voltage can be tweaked via the use of alternative taps on the HT winding / the use of alternative rectifier types (including the 3A heater of the 5U4).
Perhaps aim for an idle HT in the range 400-450V with KT66, 350-400V with 6V6.
If using matched valve pairs, then a shared 270-300ohm cathode bias resistor should be a reasonable starting point for either.
I suggest to include a bias supply and a cathode-fixed bias switch, just so you can be sure that cathode bias is the best option (lots of ideas I obsess over end up being a bit naff when I actually try them out :rolleyes:).

Just reviewed post #1, and it’s worth noting that regular fixed bias JTM45 are lucky to manage 30W at clipping with Chinese KT66.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Being the unstoppable, undeterred detective (much like a dog with a bone) I identified those resistors, in a video where they show Astoria circuit boards passing through the wave solder machine! :D They are indeed, as mentioned by @Spanngitter , TT/Welwyn W23 series, 10.5 watt, 680R. If I can find the plate/B+ voltage for the Astoria, I'll have a better idea of what I'm shooting for and I can start planning!

So far, it is looking good for using a GZ34 and separate cathode resistors/caps and the simply swap the rectifier to a 5Y3 and put a separate shared 250R/25u-50 volt cathode on a switch for 6V6 use! Looks pretty easy/peasy! :D My final concern may surround whether both tube models will be happy with the same value screen resistors?

I've already got an email in to Michael at Modulus, with condesned questions that have become more informed, due to everyone's help!

Thanks Again For Playing Along!
Gene

Last edited:

Spanngitter

Reaction score
If I can find the plate/B+ voltage for the Astoria, I'll have a better idea of what I'm shooting for and I can start planning!
A per Steve D the Plate Voltage with a GZ34 in an Astoria Classic is 400Vdc...luckily they did not go as high as in a Vintage Modern where 510Vdc torture the plates...
One more thing: Steve D also stated that the rectifier in the Astorias is a hybrid bridge comprising two solid state diodes with the GZ34 providing the other two diode sections.

Clanger1

Reaction score
Studying this may answer a few questions about cathode bias with relatively high B+

Latest posts