Lace sensors?

• Thread starter GregM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fearnpol

Reaction score
Any besides Clapton had much experience with them? I'm kinda wanting these for a diy Strat I'm going to start soon, they look Freakin awesome and not worth an arm and a leg ( only a kidney and a few fingers and toes)
The golds look cool but they do a red blue burgundy set I think which look amazing, I'm even almost thinking of red blue red just to try it out!
Don Mare from Don Mare pickups used to work for Don Lace and he told me there was zero quality control as they were just throwing g them out the door to try and lip with Fenders production targets.
Don occasionally makes some and rewinds them and says he personally loves them but they need to be made correctly and most were not.
Take from that what you will.
I personally never liked the sound of them.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Any besides Clapton had much experience with them? I'm kinda wanting these for a diy Strat I'm going to start soon, they look Freakin awesome and not worth an arm and a leg ( only a kidney and a few fingers and toes)
The golds look cool but they do a red blue burgundy set I think which look amazing, I'm even almost thinking of red blue red just to try it out!
If you like a straight up vintage set, the golds deliver. When I worked at a GC in 92 I kept a Strat Plus handy to wank on; very nice. Never directly compared it directly to my family's '56 strat but that's my yardstick for strat tone - nice pickups. But they aren't humbuckers so I don't get the point, except the technology allows a lot of sounds with one construction. I have a friend who swears by the Red, Gold, Blue set, and he gets great sounds. I'd try a silver, gold, gold combo - Fender said it was like a 1/4 ponder.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
They don’t sound all that Strat-like to my ears. But they can sound good, for sure.

I agree with the comment above, saying that the tone is more compressed. I’d also say “smoother” than your classic Strat.

Still not sure I want to replace mine (3 gold) just yet. But then, the majority of my playing is with humbuckers, so I just might not care enough about the truly legit Strat tones...

Neil S

Reaction score
This is my Strat Plus from around 1988 with a silver Lace Sensor in the neck, It came with a blue in the bridge and the two silvers.
I put a Seymour Duncan full shred in the bridge many years ago.

This is the neck pickup into a 1959 SLP with a Rockcrusher on max attenuation the guitar volume was on 5.5

Last edited: