Late 60s JMP 100 - pics

• Thread starter XF2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XF2

Reaction score
First post here. Thought I would share a few pictures of an early Super Lead - mid 1968 I believe.

12_1.jpg

Early 12,000 range serial - as I understand it, these and the equivalent 50w 1987 were the first "lead" voiced amps that deviated significantly from the JTM/Bass circuit.

12_2.jpg

It's not exactly the same as the '69 spec that you'd find in the 1959HW for example - seems they were still experimenting at this time. I don't think there's anything unusual about this particular amp though.

12_3.jpg

I admit the whole VH association was part of the reason I got it, but I've found that it's a nice bridge between the earlier and later amps. It can get pretty distorted, but isn't quite as aggressive as a metal panel.

At some point I'd like to find an original gold logo for it, but might end up modifying a new one to fit.

neikeel

Reaction score
Very nice
Typical early 68
I had two of these that were 104xx serials (chassis dual drilled for the earlier Drake 132 OT but those holes not used for the Dagnall C1998OT.

TAZIN

Reaction score
It looks like George over at Metro-Amp may have had his hands inside this amp at one point...

Ned B

Reaction score
I suspect originally a shared cathode.

• Haha
Reactions: TM1

Joethebh

Reaction score
Nice piece! I have an early 10xxx series. The guys on this forum are wonderful and helpful

tomsvintage

Reaction score

XF2

Reaction score
It looks like George over at Metro-Amp may have had his hands inside this amp at one point...

Correct :) Guessing the bias pot gave it away - I remember he mentioned coming up with a way to use a PCB mount pot that worked quite well.

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
That looks like it will sound good. I think 68/69 super leads are the best for certain sounds.

Those mg logos do not fit a lot of the early cabs. Pre mid 68 in time period. They all never fit pinstripe cab at Least in my experience . I would just keep it without a logo but that’s just me.

shakti

Reaction score
Extremely well kept amp. Not too often you see ones that are so little futzed with, and the stuff that has been done is very nicely done and is there for a reason.

XF2

Reaction score
Extremely well kept amp. Not too often you see ones that are so little futzed with, and the stuff that has been done is very nicely done and is there for a reason.

I recognize that username (Ultra GP here)

I recall it was stock with the exception of a pre-PI MV when I got it. The polarity switch was relocated to the back (unfortunately leaving an extra hole) but luckily the MV itself was fairly non-invasive.

looks great! With a name like XF2 and an amp like that you will fit in well here!

Thanks :) It's currently fitted with those (Siemens/RFT in the photo - also very nice)

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
No that thing apart from small stuff with filters. Looking quickly to me looks like a stock early super lead el34 loaded originally.

Thats a sweet amp for sure wish I could find one in similar condition . I have been looking for one of those . These get nice and gainy . Great lead playing amp

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
I recognize that username (Ultra GP here)

I recall it was stock with the exception of a pre-PI MV when I got it. The polarity switch was relocated to the back (unfortunately leaving an extra hole) but luckily the MV itself was fairly non-invasive.

Thanks :) It's currently fitted with those (Siemens/RFT in the photo - also very nice)
RFT are strong tubes and sound great! Been watching this for a while...

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
Those logos above seem to fit cabs and amps from around this period perfectly. Basketweave cabs and that era head fits correctly. Should work

Not so much on the earlier pinstripe stuff. I have a couple of those logos above never used and if you’re from U.S.A .I would charge you half of what they do .

Those period amps are great As I mentioned before I like to lift one leg of bright cap and put 100k negative feedback resistor . Then run into a 8 ohm tap/cab. Plus it’s cool you can plug just straight into 120. Marshall really had it down Pat around this time period.

I would love to hear some clips of it sometime.

Last edited:

XF2

Reaction score
RFT are strong tubes and sound great! Been watching this for a while...

Thanks, and yep - big fan of their ECC83s in the 2203/2204.

Those logos above seem to fit cabs and amps from around this period perfectly. Basketweave cabs and that era head fits correctly. Should work

Not so much on the earlier pinstripe stuff. I have a couple of those logos above never used and if you’re from U.S.A .I would charge you half of what they do .

Those period amps are great As I mentioned before I like to lift one leg of bright cap and put 100k negative feedback resistor . Then run into a 8 ohm tap/cab. Plus it’s cool you can plug just straight into 120. Marshall really had it down Pat around this time period.

I would love to hear some clips of it sometime.

I seem to recall the bright cap was disconnected when I got it. Might not be for everyone, but I feel like it's part of the sound - especially with how it cleans up with the guitar's volume control.

I'll post next time I record something with it. It's more of a big sustaining sound - easy to get feedback from, but still controllable

TAZIN

Reaction score
Correct :) Guessing the bias pot gave it away - I remember he mentioned coming up with a way to use a PCB mount pot that worked quite well.
Yes, the bias pot and the way the AC cord was done.