Marshall SV20h - How do I dial in Van Halen tone?

mAx___

Reaction score
IME component values make much less of a difference than speaker types. I'd bet money that connecting any Marshall-type amp to one of EVH's cabs would get any decent player closer to his tone than connecting Eddie's very own Superlead head to the wrong cabinet.
If I was chasing this tone I would just listen to what Jim Gaustad and Pete Thorn are doing.

What?

Reaction score
IME component values make much less of a difference than speaker types. I'd bet money that connecting any Marshall-type amp to one of EVH's cabs would get any decent player closer to his tone than connecting Eddie's very own Superlead head to the wrong cabinet.
If I was chasing this tone I would just listen to what Jim Gaustad and Pete Thorn are doing.

I think they are both running vintage speakers. Celestion EVH's might be ok paired with JBL's, but JBL's are $ these days. Weber makes the alnico California that some people say does a similar thing to the JBL's but not the same.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
Gaustad's demo of the Metroplex II is one factor that caused me to order it. That's as close as I have heard.

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
I think they are both running vintage speakers. Celestion EVH's might be ok paired with JBL's, but JBL's are $ these days. Weber makes the alnico California that some people say does a similar thing to the JBL's but not the same.
Like this? I have a Celestion G12M 20 too.
IMG_7981.jpeg

Corey343

Reaction score
Wanted to update everyone:

I’m running an EVH Wolfgang through a Boss GE-7 EQ into the SV20H, I’ve got the mids boosted on the EQ (upside down smiley face shape), amp dimed (except bass on 6), running through a torpedo captor, I have green back sim with an SM57 on the cone.

Also using the sunset studio reverb. Something with my tone is missing and I just wanted to see if anyone could help pinpoint what it is.

Here is a link to my current tone with all of the above mentioned:

Compared to the isolated EVH:

cyberpunk409

Reaction score
Wanted to update everyone:

I’m running an EVH Wolfgang through a Boss GE-7 EQ into the SV20H, I’ve got the mids boosted on the EQ (upside down smiley face shape), amp dimed (except bass on 6), running through a torpedo captor, I have green back sim with an SM57 on the cone.

Also using the sunset studio reverb. Something with my tone is missing and I just wanted to see if anyone could help pinpoint what it is.

Here is a link to my current tone with all of the above mentioned:

Compared to the isolated EVH:

That's some wicked playing!!!

I would say you've got a tad too much compression and need slightly more treble (use the GE-7) and then see how that compares??

Or you might be able to achieve both these things by rolling the normal channel volume down to 9?

Corey343

Reaction score
I
That's some wicked playing!!!

I would say you've got a tad too much compression and need slightly more treble (use the GE-7) and then see how that compares??

Or you might be able to achieve both these things by rolling the normal channel volume down to 9?
I appreciate it!! I just adjusted EQ in post after i made this post. Spent a while dialing it in.. let me know what you think? (don't mind the playing)

cyberpunk409

Reaction score
That's about as close as I'll be able to hear using my shitty made in China phone with its shitty speaker. Sounds much closer than your first clip. Great playing. I think you'll need someone with a better speaker/headphones to get you closer, sounds 95% of the way there for me