Marshall SV20h - How do I dial in Van Halen tone?

mAx___

Reaction score
IME component values make much less of a difference than speaker types. I'd bet money that connecting any Marshall-type amp to one of EVH's cabs would get any decent player closer to his tone than connecting Eddie's very own Superlead head to the wrong cabinet.
If I was chasing this tone I would just listen to what Jim Gaustad and Pete Thorn are doing.

What?

Reaction score
IME component values make much less of a difference than speaker types. I'd bet money that connecting any Marshall-type amp to one of EVH's cabs would get any decent player closer to his tone than connecting Eddie's very own Superlead head to the wrong cabinet.
If I was chasing this tone I would just listen to what Jim Gaustad and Pete Thorn are doing.

I think they are both running vintage speakers. Celestion EVH's might be ok paired with JBL's, but JBL's are $ these days. Weber makes the alnico California that some people say does a similar thing to the JBL's but not the same.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
Gaustad's demo of the Metroplex II is one factor that caused me to order it. That's as close as I have heard.

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
I think they are both running vintage speakers. Celestion EVH's might be ok paired with JBL's, but JBL's are $ these days. Weber makes the alnico California that some people say does a similar thing to the JBL's but not the same.
Like this? I have a Celestion G12M 20 too.
IMG_7981.jpeg

Latest posts