Layout needed for extra preamp tube (2204 / 2203)

• Thread starter TommyVonVoigt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TommyVonVoigt

Reaction score
Hey all! I have a 77 2204 that is a complete disaster of crazy looking mods. I'm aiming to take it back to stock. However, it does have an extra preamp tube installed. Knowing what a gain maniac I am, I think it would be cool to keep that. So, a stock 77 2204, plus an added tube gain stage.

I don't really have the technical expertise to puzzle it out from nothing, but I can follow step by step guides and layouts with no problems. I've done several builds and refurbs that way, and it helps me learn. I found this layout for an extra stage mod in a thread from another forum from 10 years ago. It's for a 2203, but I can adapt it to a 2204. It looks just like the SDM layouts, but I don't see it in any of the SDM layout folders I've grabbed. It's very low resolution, and I can't make out the values once I zoom in. Does anyone have this layout in high resolution? Or perhaps another one I could use? I don't want it to be switchable, either. I just want more tube gain on tap.

I don't trust just studying the way the added tube is currently wired up in the head. The work that was done to this thing is downright scary looking, and I really don't trust it. Actually, I don't even understand it.

One other thing - as best I can tell, this puts it at the very beginning, which will hit the whole preamp even harder, just like a boost. I know that there is another way to do it, which puts it a little further in, and I believe would behave just like the Hot Mod / Lynch Mod / Mr. Scary Mod does. Any particular advantage / disadvantage to one method over the other?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 7.37.35 AM.png

herbvis

Reaction score
The question is how does rhe amp sound as is?

jagrenet

Reaction score
I
Hey all! I have a 77 2204 that is a complete disaster of crazy looking mods. I'm aiming to take it back to stock. However, it does have an extra preamp tube installed. Knowing what a gain maniac I am, I think it would be cool to keep that. So, a stock 77 2204, plus an added tube gain stage.

I don't really have the technical expertise to puzzle it out from nothing, but I can follow step by step guides and layouts with no problems. I've done several builds and refurbs that way, and it helps me learn. I found this layout for an extra stage mod in a thread from another forum from 10 years ago. It's for a 2203, but I can adapt it to a 2204. It looks just like the SDM layouts, but I don't see it in any of the SDM layout folders I've grabbed. It's very low resolution, and I can't make out the values once I zoom in. Does anyone have this layout in high resolution? Or perhaps another one I could use? I don't want it to be switchable, either. I just want more tube gain on tap.

I don't trust just studying the way the added tube is currently wired up in the head. The work that was done to this thing is downright scary looking, and I really don't trust it. Actually, I don't even understand it.

One other thing - as best I can tell, this puts it at the very beginning, which will hit the whole preamp even harder, just like a boost. I know that there is another way to do it, which puts it a little further in, and I believe would behave just like the Hot Mod / Lynch Mod / Mr. Scary Mod does. Any particular advantage / disadvantage to one method over the other?

Thanks!

View attachment 129063
If you find a better/clearer version of this layout, I would definitely be interested in having a copy.

Latest posts