Lead 12/lead 20 combo?

• Thread starter LessPol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LessPol

Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm pretty interested in picking up an old Lead 12 combo amp as I would like that "jcm800 sound" without the price or size of an actual jcm800 and have read tons of positive reviews of the Lead 12 combo.

While researching/searching for a Lead 12 combo, i have stumbled across a few others i am interested in/curious about. I've seen the slightly different Lead 12 combos, I've seen Lead 15 combos, Lead 20 combos and a Reverb 12 combo.

Are the Lead 15/Lead 20 combos essentially a slightly more powerful/slightly larger Lead 12? Or completely different amps?

Is the Reverb 12 combo essentially a Lead 12 PLUS reverb? Or completely different amp?

If looking for that specific Lead 12 sound, should I absolutely stick to finding a Lead 12, or would the Lead 15/20 or Reverb 12 sound the same?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm pretty interested in picking up an old Lead 12 combo amp as I would like that "jcm800 sound" without the price or size of an actual jcm800 and have read tons of positive reviews of the Lead 12 combo.

While researching/searching for a Lead 12 combo, i have stumbled across a few others i am interested in/curious about. I've seen the slightly different Lead 12 combos, I've seen Lead 15 combos, Lead 20 combos and a Reverb 12 combo.

Are the Lead 15/Lead 20 combos essentially a slightly more powerful/slightly larger Lead 12? Or completely different amps?

Is the Reverb 12 combo essentially a Lead 12 PLUS reverb? Or completely different amp?

If looking for that specific Lead 12 sound, should I absolutely stick to finding a Lead 12, or would the Lead 15/20 or Reverb 12 sound the same?
The Lead20 is essentially the more powerful version of the Lead12.
The Lead15 (G15RCD in a combo) is different, and IMO, a better amp.
Gain 1, Gain 2, MV and reverb on the Lead15, killer classic JCM800 tones in a little SS amp.
I've had the G15MS & a Lead20.
Sold the 20 when I got the Master Lead 30 (another option).
Keep an eye out for the G215RCD - stereo Lead15 with chorus built in - sold the MS & kept that one...

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Having owned them all, the Lead 20 is just a more powerful Lead 12. It's nearly identical other than having a more powerful output stage.

And let's remember, JCM800 is a SERIES, not a MODEL. There were at least a dozen JCM800 series models of tube amps, plus a fair number of solid state amps as well. Several of which are basically the exact same models as they were in the JMP era, just with updated cosmetics. There IS no "JCM800 sound". The sound you are hearing is associated with specific models that just happened to carry the JCM800 series logo.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
The trouble with this site is there is always someone who says anything Marshall is great.
I saw this on ebay,
did some research on this site,
then I HAD to buy it.
Has not arrived yet but I am excited.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've never played any of these Lead series, I wonder how they compare to the MG series, the original MG amps were really good.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
MGs are generally higher gain, more modern sounding amps, while the Lead series has a considerably more vintage type tone.
It's not unfair to call a Lead series amp a solid state Plexi kind of thing, while an MG is more of a solid state DSL.

My Lead Series amps do have a tonal range that really is reminescent of my JMP Marshalls, and I have an MG15MSII microstack which
does a really fun high gain metal thing. It's kind of a one dimensional amp but it's good for that. I also had an MG100 for a little while and it was actually pretty cool. A lot of younger players would be playing that thing to death!

Gutch220

Reaction score
You should get a head, and not a combo in my opinion because you can use bigger 12-inch speakers. I've always wanted a Lead 12 head for this reason. If you really want to be sold on one, look at Johan Segeborn's Youtube videos on the Lead 12. You'll buy one today.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lead 12 / 20 / 30 are all proper Marshalls ...get em all ,if you can . The cat's outa the bag now , so there's probably no more $99 deals
Lead 12 Combo needs a better speaker . The absolute BEST speaker that I've found for a Lead 12 combo IS..........a Fender Eminence V 10-30, the ceramic 10" that came in the Pro Junior in the later 90s /2000's
Bass 12 is not bad either ....but you gotta really crank it . It came with a good speaker (although it might be the bass version) G 10L 35

I've used a Lead 12 (and Bass 12 for backup) on the road with The Dirty Knobs last fall & past Spring

Last edited:

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned a Reverb 12, a Lead 12 (currently) and a Lead 30.

The Reverb 12 and Lead 12 are basically the same amp, but the Reverb 12 has a very small real spring reverb tank. These have 10” speakers.

A few years an ago I picked up a Lead 30 (forgot the model number) for cheap, It had a 12” G12-M70 speaker inside. I felt with a good OD pedal that it was a gigable amp.

All pretty good sounding amps, but the Lead 12, is still basically a small practice amp.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
MGs are generally higher gain, more modern sounding amps, while the Lead series has a considerably more vintage type tone.
It's not unfair to call a Lead series amp a solid state Plexi kind of thing, while an MG is more of a solid state DSL.

My Lead Series amps do have a tonal range that really is reminescent of my JMP Marshalls, and I have an MG15MSII microstack which
does a really fun high gain metal thing. It's kind of a one dimensional amp but it's good for that. I also had an MG100 for a little while and it was actually pretty cool. A lot of younger players would be playing that thing to death!
MG100DFX half stack was my very first Marshall so I'm very familiar with them it was my main amp for 4 years I liked it very much and almost had sellers remorse when I sold it. At which point I went to a DSL50 which was a terrible amp in comparison, the only similarity between the MG and DSL was functionality, tonality the MG was superior, I struggled 2 years trying to get the DSL to work for me and sold it for a 2204 which was the tone I was looking for. Back to the Lead Series, I've never found one to try and hope to some day, if it's vintage toned I suspect I'll like it.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have two Lead 12s, and I need to complete repairs on one of them. I got it missing all its pots. When I get it back up and running I will probably want to sell one of them off. Not for a whole lot. I modify combo style Lead 12s to add speaker jacks to them, a shortcoming of them in stock condition.
Interestingly, look at Lead 12s in both combo and head versions. You'll see that the control layouts, and the chassis themselves, are upside down relative to each other.

There are also both metal face and plexi type front panel versions, of the same model Lead 12. Interesting.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they make a head version of the Reverb 12, or was it just a combo?

I have never seen a Reverb 12 in a head box. I don't believe it exists

The combos function great as a head with the addition of a speaker jack

Gutch220

Reaction score
I have never seen a Reverb 12 in a head box. I don't believe it exists

The combos function great as a head with the addition of a speaker jack
In the past, I've just added female/male jacks to the internal speaker cable so i can easily disconnect them and run an external speaker. I did this to a reissue Fender champion 600 and it works well.
I like the tidiness of the little head version though

LessPol

Reaction score
I am DEFINITELY open to getting the head over the combo if I can find one for the right price. But would also buy the combo for the right price too.

Did the Reverb 12 and/or Lead 20 ever come in head form, or just combo?