Lead 12 questions...

• Thread starter mve4158
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I might be mistaken, but hasn't Billy Gibbons recorded w/those in the past? I have never played through one, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Funny comment about the Lead 12:

A friend had one when I was in my first highschool band. He said he had a Marshall amp, so we all begged to go to his house to see his Marshall. We walked in and saw it sitting on a garage bench and laughed 'cause it was so small. We had nothing but disdain for that little thing 'cause we were expecting a stack.

Nowadays I would pay a lot to be owned by one.

mve4158

Reaction score
I wasn't gonna replace the speaker at first, just leave it original, but after getting a few recommendations I couldn't resist. So glad I "experimented" now! Got a feeling this one will stay in the collection awhile!

telemarshall

Reaction score
I had (key word here) a Lead 12 microstack, and sold it about 10-12 years ago, and I could still kick myself. What a GREAT sounding little stack... Had that Marshall crunch in spades.. I'm not sure of the exact year of the one I had, but it was mid-80's. Best-sounding SS amp I have ever heard - to this day.

I have regretted selling it ever since.. What was I thinking???... :(

So - - I bought a used Valvestate VS100R a few years ago to try to achieve that same Marshall crunch (for practice) that the old Lead 12 had - and honestly, the VS100 does come kinda close, but not really close enough..

I really do like this VS100 for practice (I wouldn't gig or jam with it, tho), but as I said, I really regret selling the Lead 12...

MyLead12MarshallISold.jpg

VS100R_IMG_6015pb.jpg

mve4158

Reaction score
I'm so amazed with this "odd" Lead 12, especially since speaker upgrade! Can't believe this sound is coming from a SS amp! Tele, Strat, Les Paul...whichever, with no pedals! Impressive! I play mainly country and blues and have never had a Marshall amp of any type. With the Celestion speaker change the "clean" sound is actually "clean and clear".

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I had (key word here) a Lead 12 microstack, and sold it about 10-12 years ago, and I could still kick myself. What a GREAT sounding little stack... Had that Marshall crunch in spades.. I'm not sure of the exact year of the one I had, but it was mid-80's. Best-sounding SS amp I have ever heard - to this day.

I have regretted selling it ever since.. What was I thinking???... :(

So - - I bought a used Valvestate VS100R a few years ago to try to achieve that same Marshall crunch (for practice) that the old Lead 12 had - and honestly, the VS100 does come kinda close, but not really close enough..

I really do like this VS100 for practice (I wouldn't gig or jam with it, tho), but as I said, I really regret selling the Lead 12...

MyLead12MarshallISold.jpg

VS100R_IMG_6015pb.jpg

I had the VS100 also for home and band rehearsal. It was great because it would work like a 3 channel amp, which mirrored my TSL100 at the time. So I had the TSL half stack for gigs, and the VS100 I could throw in the trunk and go to rehearsals. It was easy to carry around and sounded great. I would have kept it, but the reverb went and I didn't want to bother taking it to the shop.

brp

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Lead 12 head, have been for awhile.
Anyone in the BC lower mainland, Seattle or northern WA state area wanting to sell one, drop me a line. :D

telemarshall

Reaction score
I had the VS100 also for home and band rehearsal. It was great because it would work like a 3 channel amp, which mirrored my TSL100 at the time. So I had the TSL half stack for gigs, and the VS100 I could throw in the trunk and go to rehearsals. It was easy to carry around and sounded great. I would have kept it, but the reverb went and I didn't want to bother taking it to the shop.

Yeah, the VS100 is great for practice. It definitely has that Marshall crunch. How did you like the Power Dimension setting? I use that setting the most (with a touch of 'verb) for low volume practice - great Marshall tone. Your TSL100 had a similar feature in it, I believe.

And yes, the three channels in the VS100 are similar to the three in the TSL100, so I see why you used the VS for rehearsals, etc. when you didn't want to drag out the TSL100..

All three channels are good sounding in the VS100. Very decent cleans, too. I probably use the Overdrive 2 channel the most.

mve4158

Reaction score
One of the local musicians found out I had this and wanted to check it out, he said in his 20+ years of playing he had never seen one of these early models. His immediate response was "How much?" Since I'm new to Marshall, anyone have any idea of what to ask for this IF, repeat IF, I did decide to sell it? He wants it bad, but he won't make an offer, he wants ME to name a price. I'm not planning on selling it, BUT if the money is right I'll sell anything!

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
I bought mine for $250, but I'm pretty sure the guy could have cleared over $300 for it easy. He just knew me and made me a decent deal.

Now...after new badges, faceplates, speakers, etc. it's around $700.

brp

Reaction score
Not fetching as much as you might have thought on ebay huh?
So out of curiosity, what was your reserve price on this?

mve4158

Reaction score
I had a $360 reserve on it, and yes I was shocked! I wasn't gonna sell it, but I don't really have any use for it, I bought it because it was an unusual one. I play mainly country and blues and use Fender tube amps. But I'll just hang onto it before I "give" it away, it's a pretty neat conversation piece! A couple of people messaged me and wanted to know what the reserve was, and when I told them they thought I was crazy. Both said there were several on eBay for less than $100...I tried to explain the difference, but they didn't seem to understand. Or didn't want to understand...I would love to trade it for an older Fender Vibro Champ or Champ 12.

Latest posts