Lead 12 "Slash tone"?

• Thread starter LessPol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LessPol

Reaction score
Hey guys, another typical "how do I get slash tone" question.

So I kind of recently picked up a 1988 Marshall Lead 12 and put a 10" Celestion Greenback speaker in it. Sounds great for an "old" solid state 10" combo. But, can't quite get that "Slash tone".

I've got a Boss ge7 eq which helps, but I'm thinking I might need an some type of overdrive pedal to push my dirty (gain turned up) Lead 12, or maybe some type of distortion pedal to make a clean Lead 12 dirty 🤷‍♂️

I've watched some videos of ppl using overdrive pedal to try to achieve "slash tone" and watched a few videos of people using "silver jubilee in a box" and "jcm800 in a box" distortion pedals, but not sure which route would be better.

If YOU had a Marshall Lead 12, and Boss ge7 eq and wanted "slash tones" which pedal (s?) would you add?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a bajillion od pedals available these days, you forgot Plexi in a box pedal too.

You’re never gonna get there completely, just try to get close and you’ll be successful. Watch a lot of od pedal videos and buy one that sounds good to you.

Human nature is such that everyone will recommend what pedals THEY own, as the one that’ll get you there. Truth is you’re only gonna get close.

Choose a good pedal, best of luck on your journey.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I do have a lead 12, have not used it since I got a SL5, the SL5 is a much better amp and the bigger speaker makes a difference.

Loads of good OD pedals, if you are in Europe look for used Bogner pedals, they can be very good value.

LessPol

Reaction score
There are a bajillion od pedals available these days, you forgot Plexi in a box pedal too.

You’re never gonna get there completely, just try to get close and you’ll be successful. Watch a lot of od pedal videos and buy one that sounds good to you.

Human nature is such that everyone will recommend what pedals THEY own, as the one that’ll get you there. Truth is you’re only gonna get close.

Choose a good pedal, best of luck on your journey.
Yeah I'm aware ill most likely get a bunch of opinions, and probably from ppl that have never plugged into a Lead 12

I'm just hoping ppl that have a Lead 12 would reply "yeah, _____ overdrive is exactly what you need to take the Lead 12 into molded jcm800 or silver jubilee territory" or even "I've tried all the od pedals, you really need _____ distortion pedal to get there"

Just open to suggestions to help narrow down the numerous options on the market

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I can try out my Lead12 with some pedals if you want,

Do you want cheap like Demonfx and Joyo or expensive like MXR and Dunlop ?

If you want more expensive I would look at something like Boss IR2 or OD200 or Nux Trident.

Do you want lead tones like November Rain or chords ?

LessPol

Reaction score
I can try out my Lead12 with some pedals if you want,

Do you want cheap like Demonfx and Joyo or expensive like MXR and Dunlop ?

If you want more expensive I would look at something like Boss IR2 or OD200 or Nux Trident.

Do you want lead tones like November Rain or chords ?
Id prefer $200 or less, but also not a $20 plastic pedal. Mxr and Boss are typically among my favorites.

Mostly leads. The amp itself does pretty well with the rhythm sections which is why I was thinking an OD would be nice. But also open to "silver jubilee in a box" type distortion pedals 🤷‍♂️

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Id prefer $200 or less, but also not a $20 plastic pedal. Mxr and Boss are typically among my favorites.

Mostly leads. The amp itself does pretty well with the rhythm sections which is why I was thinking an OD would be nice. But also open to "silver jubilee in a box" type distortion pedals 🤷‍♂️
I assume you already know Slash turns up his mids and lowers highs and lows. IMO, it's going to be hard to get there with a small amp & speaker. If I were you, I would save up a little more and get a bigger amp head (20w) and cab or a HX Stomp.

thesunship

Reaction score
I don't think he used it, but for those nice pushed mids I'd go with a tube screamer or clone with low gain and high level.

jeffb

Reaction score
Before I goofed with pedals, I would change the speaker. Celestion makes a 10" speaker that sounds more like a V30. Also the 10" alnicos would be very good.

I'm not convinced he used v30s for the AFD sessions, but "greenbacks" , g12M or g12H are not quite right. Mids are focused in a different place.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I just did a quick test, comparing the Lead12 to a SL5
Afraid to say the SL5 won on every setting, it just sounds better.
The Lead12 is fine as a practice amp but if you are trying to nail Slash tones thats asking too much.

I tried the MXR octave Fuzz, it makes the bass sound better but the leads seem a bit thin, its like the speaker cant manage to be high and loud at the same time.

The Bogner Wessex overdrive is a good pedal, makes them both sound better but the SL5 sounds better better.

TC Electronic Dark Matter suited the amp, made it sound bigger and the dark tone compensated for the small speaker.
But it didnt sound like Slash.

Also tried the Demonfx 83 drive, a Klon/BD clone. Similar results, Lead12 was Ok but not full Slash.

I think if you spend less than £100 you wont get Slash tone,
If you can spend more I would look at spending more and getting a better amp.

Something like the Nux Trident or

Both of those would need good PC speakers.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Have you considered something like this ?
it comes with
  • Softube Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 - Amp Sim
Would be a lot more versatile and better for recording.
If you dont have good PC speakers you should get some anyway.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
You've already got the GE-7, which is great for getting that nasally upper midrange thing going. Try to put an SD-1 or something similar in front of it. An SD-1 makes my Lead 12 combo and microstack sound awesome. I REALLY don't like these amps without an OD in front - unless I'm trying for some sort of edge-of-break-up thing. The OD makes a huge difference, as the amp-only distortion is not so great, IMO.

The only other suggestion I have is trying something like a 10" Celestion V-Type or VT Jr. speaker instead of the Greenback. I have the VT Jr. my Lead 12's. They are pretty inexpensive, and sound good with these amps, IMO.

Last edited:

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I believe Slash used an MXR Distortion+, if I am not mistaken. And, for that lead sound, be sure to use the neck pickup, and roll the tone knob back until the tone has just the right amount of smoothness.

giblesp

Reaction score
I'd not use any pedals, and concentrate on technique.

The AFD sound is a copy of a Les Paul, going through a modded Marshall.

Then it's recorded in a specific way, in a specific studio.

And even if you had access to all the above, you probably still wouldn't sound like Slash.

So you'd get closer to Slash tone by concentrating on technique.

LessPol

Reaction score
Not really looking to replace the speaker, just looking for an od. Kind of torn between the Boss Sd1 and Bd2 now...

NumbSkull

Reaction score
For the Lead12 I would prefer the BD2, it makes it a bit more versatile.

But while those 2 pedals were an automatic choice 5 years ago, now there is a lot more choice.

The Boss IR2 is not much more money and it does a lot more things, its like getting 10 pedals in 1.

colchar

Reaction score
Hey guys, another typical "how do I get slash tone" question.

So I kind of recently picked up a 1988 Marshall Lead 12 and put a 10" Celestion Greenback speaker in it. Sounds great for an "old" solid state 10" combo. But, can't quite get that "Slash tone".

I've got a Boss ge7 eq which helps, but I'm thinking I might need an some type of overdrive pedal to push my dirty (gain turned up) Lead 12, or maybe some type of distortion pedal to make a clean Lead 12 dirty 🤷‍♂️

I've watched some videos of ppl using overdrive pedal to try to achieve "slash tone" and watched a few videos of people using "silver jubilee in a box" and "jcm800 in a box" distortion pedals, but not sure which route would be better.

If YOU had a Marshall Lead 12, and Boss ge7 eq and wanted "slash tones" which pedal (s?) would you add?

Oh for fuck sakes.