• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Leaving JCM 800 on in Standby mode.

• Thread starter DDawson 202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDawson 202

Reaction score
Greetings list,

I just wanted to ask if leaving the guitar amp on in standby mode for a week will damage the amp or put significant wear on the tubes?

Thanks in advance.

David

NumbSkull

Reaction score
A similar question,
I was playing my 2000 DSL 401 for 2 hours today,
when I turned it off the power switch was too hot to touch,
I could touch it for half a second to turn the amp off but that was it.
Is this normal ? should I limit my playing on that amp to 1 hour then switch to another ?

Kuga

Reaction score
A similar question,
I was playing my 2000 DSL 401 for 2 hours today,
when I turned it off the power switch was too hot to touch,
I could touch it for half a second to turn the amp off but that was it.
Is this normal ? should I limit my playing on that amp to 1 hour then switch to another ?
Use a leather glove to switch of It. That happens because It's built backwards and without ventilation grill. Tubes and power transformer get very hot.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. I've done it more than once. I left rehearsal on a Thursday and didn't come back until Tuesday and one of the amps was left in standby. I just flipped it on and jammed the set. No worries at all. It's not hurting anything.

Once in my studio I had a guy playing through a JCM800 bass amp and the light in the rocker switch was failing. When they left I assumed they turned everything off but the amp was still on in standby. That went on for a few weeks I think. I used the same amp to track a record a few months back. Worked fine.

In standby the only thing getting power is the tube heaters.

V-man

Reaction score
many commenting have various opinions based on THEORY, not EXPERIENCE.

in reality, you will need it serviced. Any 800 left on standby over 72 hours will experience component drift into becoming a JCM 900.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Greetings list,

I just wanted to ask if leaving the guitar amp on in standby mode for a week will damage the amp or put significant wear on the tubes?

Thanks in advance.

David
Damage, no, "significant" wear, no. Some wear, yes. I tend to think of vacuum tubes as being similar to light bulbs. They're under a vacuum, and have heaters (filaments). Although vacuum tubes at idle do not run as hot as a light bulb, there's still heat generated, which over time will degrade a tube.

Last edited:

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Remember that these things were originally designed for, like, aircraft carriers and computers and machines that were kept powered up for very long periods of time. Tubes enjoy electricity.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Remember that these things were originally designed for, like, aircraft carriers and computers and machines that were kept powered up for very long periods of time. Tubes enjoy electricity.
Yeah, especially in this case of standby mode with nothing but heaters on.

NikkiNova

Reaction score
Damage, no, "significant" wear, no. Some wear, yes. I tend to think of vacuum tubes as being similar to light bulbs. They're under a vacuum, and have heaters (filaments). Although vacuum tubes at idle do not run as hot as a light bulb, there's still heat generated, which over time will degrade a tube.
The Centennial Light at the Livermore, CA Fire Dept. has been on since 1901.