Les Paul custom shop

• Thread starter purpleplexi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am missing a point (I am not that much into custom shops):
CS means Murphy Lab or relic in general?
Are there CS samples that are not beaten?
CS is Custom Shop. The department of Gibson where all the historic re-issues are produced to, as close as possible, original spec. Murphy lab is a dept. within the Custom Shop that deals with the aged finishes of the guitars. Basically a few "craftsmen" that you pay a premium to duff up (age) a perfectly good guitar from the Custom Shop.
VOS (Vintage Original Specification) is a guitar that looks like it's been kept in a case since it's intended original year of manufacture. So a 1958 RI (re-issue) VOS is a 1958 spec. guitar that looks like it's been kept in it's case in a closet since 1958. The paintwork and metal parts may be slightly dulled, but otherwise perfect.

Nadir

Reaction score
So every Gibson Custom Shop guitar is "aged" in a way or another, more or less, correct ?
Is it the same for Fender ?

NumbSkull

Reaction score
So every Gibson Custom Shop guitar is "aged" in a way or another, more or less, correct ?
Is it the same for Fender ?
No, not correct.
Most are, because they can charge Thousands for it.
But this one is not aged as far as I can see.

Same for Fender, some are, some are not.
The idea of a custom shop is you can have anything you ask for,
So if you want not aged thats what you get.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Just bought this custom shop guitar on ebay, seller accepted offer of £200.
I always wanted a strat with a locking nut.
I know it will need work but should keep me away from the screen for a couple of hours.
Worlds gone mad. Me too.
This just arrived today, happy with it.
Its what I wanted , the body and neck are good,
its a strat with a floyd and a locking nut.
Pickups look cheap but I was intending to swap them anyway,
the bridge humbucker is useable as is.
Floyd is cheap but I can swap it for a proper one easily if I have problems.
Tuners also cheap but with a locking nut I dont care.
Neck is excellent, low action, frets nicely rounded and set back from the edge.
No buzz or scratchyness, no high frets, easy to play.
Could be a good guitar when I swap the pickguard and electronics.
Worth the money, no idea how they can make and ship it for the price.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My 2007 57 reissue gold top was $2800 new, glad I got it when I did, one is enough I couldn't justify another let alone today's prices at $6k and up! It's a rich man's game now which I'm not.

cccc

Reaction score
I got a Les Paul standard at Sam Ash in 1990 which has a "Custom shop edition" logo stamped on the back of the headstock but it's not a real CS it's just a special run . Paid $800.00 out the door .

Torren61

Reaction score
I was in a music shop yesterday looking at amps and they gave me a custom shop Les Paul to plug in. It looked gltzy shiny brand new but it had the lamest fake weather checking I'd ever seen and only on the top - nowhere else. It played nice but sound wise it was nothing special. It was £6000 which is a lot of money down my street.
I'm left wondering what kind of idiot spends that much money on a guitar like that.

We all have our threshold for what we want and what we're willing to pay for it. That's really half of the equation in determining what a thing is worth. The other half is what the seller is willing to take in order to part with that thing. When both sides reach a number that each is comfortable with, THAT'S what the thing is worth. The number they reached may not work for you. No worries, keep walking.

The REAL fun is looking for the thing and finding someone with one of those things that is willing to take much less than what you were willing to pay... like my Firebird. I had no intention of buying one before June but this one came up at a price that was so low I had to make a move before someone beat me to it. He listed it and two hours later, I was paying for it. I don't think it would have lasted the day on Reverb.

anitoli

Reaction score
We all have our threshold for what we want and what we're willing to pay for it. That's really half of the equation in determining what a thing is worth. The other half is what the seller is willing to take in order to part with that thing. When both sides reach a number that each is comfortable with, THAT'S what the thing is worth. The number they reached may not work for you. No worries, keep walking.

The REAL fun is looking for the thing and finding someone with one of those things that is willing to take much less than what you were willing to pay... like my Firebird. I had no intention of buying one before June but this one came up at a price that was so low I had to make a move before someone beat me to it. He listed it and two hours later, I was paying for it. I don't think it would have lasted the day on Reverb.
If you are looking for something have your max payment amount ready and when said itwm shows up for your price or less you better move fast. Thats how i got my LE full stack. It appeared, had a price i was cool with and i hit buy now.