Les Paul Studio vs Standard

• Thread starter Dave666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Gibson does not cut corners with Studios. Unless cutting corners means lack of binding and less than spectacular tops, even of the plain variety... That's the whole point of the Studio. It is otherwise constructed exactly like the Traditional only chambered like a Standard. Studios and Standards have different neck tenons.

I'm glad to help you guys out with any questions about Gibsons and Les Pauls in particular, but "Studios are shit" is just ridiculous.

AdamR

Reaction score
He just doesnt want to feel bad for paying 3Xs as much for his classic.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Viking said........... They should save this chambered body nonsense for the Geriatric series because I don't need a wheelchair yet so Gibson can shove that weight relieved bullshit right up their ass..............You will get here someday..........Sooner than you think

lol. I'm sure one day I will be old and decrepit, then I'll buy nothing but 3lb Les Pauls, or better yet, I'll just play a Fernandes Nomad.

Like I said before though, I'm not even 30 yet and I didn't spend my adult or youth life in cradles or offices. I wielded jackhammers like drumsticks and carried 80lb bags of concrete up flights of stairs. I've got a beard and gross man balls. I can handle a little Les Paul. :naughty: me no little dude

It's all good. Like I said, and I'm serious, they need to save that stuff for the old men, don't make all us younger guys trade in our Mustangs and Ferrari's for Buick LeSabre's. :wtf::lol::lol:

As for the other guy saying that Gibson cuts corners on the Studios... uh yah, that's kind of the point, a no frills guitar that is more affordable. I'd say deliberately not using body or neck binding and stuff like that isn't really cutting corners. I haven't played every single one in the world, but I don't find my Studio shittier than any other model Les Paul I've ever had. Everyone;s got their own opinion though.

at 24
l_9da8d49d8587e023ae04260622214e8d.jpg

at 21
l_5e3233f7b438477f815a3e026bee0c18.jpg

thrawn86

Reaction score
No, Vike....just funny.

Many guitar companies offer a 'stripped down' or 'raw' version of many of their popular guitars, without the bells and whistles, and people see the wisdom in buying them. I think the Studio has gotten a bad name from those who see it as an 'entry level' Gibson Les Paul. When I think 'entry level', I think First Act or B.C. Rich Starter Pak, not a Studio. The thing is a workhorse and plays wonderfully. That's the two cents for me.

RobS

Reaction score
Cool pics Viking.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tsd96kXDn0]YouTube - Gibson USA Presents The Les Paul Studio[/ame]

Grandturk

Reaction score
I think I could live with the dot inlays on a Les Paul, but the lack of binding kills it. It just don't look right - solid color or bursts - without binding - IMO.

ThreeTone

Reaction score
I have a '01 flametop Studio. Lack of binding doesn't make any difference to me, it's just ornamentation as far as I'm concerned. Binding is cool, no binding is cool.

It's a killer guitar, the one I play the most. Great neck, nice top, relatively lightweight (as far as LPs go), thick, rich and gobs of sustain. I'm not a huge fan of gold hardware, but it looks fine on this guitar, otherwise I love it. It's a playa!

If you conducted a blind tone test with Les Pauls, no one would be able to pick out the Studios. Best bang for the buck in the LP line in my opinion. If a player doesn't dig them that's cool, but to say they are a substandard LP is off the mark in my view.

thrawn86

Reaction score
I think I could live with the dot inlays on a Les Paul, but the lack of binding kills it. It just don't look right - solid color or bursts - without binding - IMO.

See, that's what I like about mine...that it doesn't try to look like a more pricey LP. That actually appeals to me. And when I bought mine, I was actually going to get a Wine Red one. They were sold out, so I got the Silver instead of the Ebony; I figured there are enough Ebony's out there already. And I love mine.

thrawn86-albums-mine-picture948-aug-19th-2009-029.jpg

:wave:

dualampman

Reaction score
I have two les paul standards, my brother has two studios. my observation is that the standards seems a bit heavier. My 50's model is the heaviest. It is the warmer and more articulate sounding of the four guitars. There are great finishes available for the studio, but the weight, sustain and the looks with binding seem to put me over the edge for the Standard.

fullyc

Reaction score
studios are shit. Gibson cuts corners on them. Standards are great though. Or the traditional.

How are they shit? I was hoping to have one some day in alpine white with gold hardware, but not if they are shit. Please explain.

thrawn86

Reaction score
How are they shit? I was hoping to have one some day in alpine white with gold hardware, but not if they are shit. Please explain.

It's a preference. They are good, but just like any make or model, there are lemons too.

invertedjesus

Reaction score
got it set up, intonated, the whole nine yards. plays like a dream... just need to swap out the uncovered bridge pickup.

4161180832_6d8cbb6c73_o.jpg

Dave666

Reaction score
Invertedjesus: That's one hell of a good looking LP.... I'm in love....

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
just bought a '91 Les Paul Studio... guy that recorded my band has always tried telling me that "all studios suck, regardless of age." yeah... well, after this thread I'll be taking his opinion with a grain of salt. Waiting for it to come in through UPS. Can't wait.

I own 3 Studios. I bought them based on sound and play. I own other LP's as well. You have to just find one that meets your needs. I dont believe one must go straight to a Custom to get a great guitar. :slash:

johnemac

Reaction score
Cool pics Vike.

Sorry, but I gotta put my money on the doc in the arm wrestling. :lol:

el zilcho

Reaction score
I have a '90 LP studio with dot inlays and it's my favorite guitar. Got it for $350.

Not sure if it's the same for all studios, but mine has a 3-piece top.

Dave666

Reaction score
Alright, I had some patience for a nice second hand Studio and I found one...

It's a '94 Les Paul Studio in Wine Red with gold hadware... it comes with a gigbag.
The price is 700euros and I believe it's a good price (new ones cost 1100euros)
The guitar is in very good shape, don't think he played on it a lot or the guy cared for his guitar more than his wife...lol

GetAttachment.jpg

The best thing is, when I was 18years old I always went droolin' over the LP Studio in Wine Red at the local guitarshop, but then the price was way over my head cause I stil went to school...