Les paul trade for JCM 800 help!

• Thread starter Milleniumking
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
Hi all. I hate asking these questions but I really dont know what to do. This might be my only chance at getting an 800.

I have a 2019 Les Paul standard faded honey burst (satin nitro finish). Very nice guitar, a Long and Mcquade exclusive run here in Canada. Ive offered it to someone for a Jcm 800 2203x. I have a nice Les paul Junior DC so I shouldnt miss it too much.

Do you think it is a worthy trade? I know 800's need to be played at louder volumes but Ive always wanted one and I cant find any others within driving distance...... HELP. :(

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi all. I hate asking these questions but I really dont know what to do. This might be my only chance at getting an 800.

I have a 2019 Les Paul standard faded honey burst (satin nitro finish). Very nice guitar, a Long and Mcquade exclusive run here in Canada. Ive offered it to someone for a Jcm 800 2203x. I have a nice Les paul Junior DC so I shouldnt miss it too much.

Do you think it is a worthy trade? I know 800's need to be played at louder volumes but Ive always wanted one and I cant find any others within driving distance...... HELP. :(
Sounds like a nice guitar but if you dont need it and would rather have the amp go for it. :yesway:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guitar & amp are approximately the same value depending on condition and a lot of unknowns from just your brief description.
Which one do you want more?

Kolanti

Reaction score

no dont do it.

a gibson les paul standard costs around 2000 bucks second hand while the jcm 800 costs 1500 bucks new. Other than that I have a jcm 800 100w, and i play with pretty good tone on lower volume, master is at 2

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
no dont do it.

a gibson les paul standard costs around 2000 bucks second hand while the jcm 800 costs 1500 bucks new. Other than that I have a jcm 800 100w, and i play with pretty good tone on lower volume, master is at 2

A brand new 2203x is about double that these days. Depending on the shape of the amp, I think it's a pretty fair trade w/the OP arguably getting the better end of the deal.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
Thanx for the responses. Jcm800 are kinda hard to get where I am. They are fetching crazy prices as well so when this one came up i had to have it. I normally play through headphones into my attenuator and when i do play its not super loud. I have a SLX as well and i love it but ive always wanted an 800. I figured since i dont play my LP much since getting my DC it wouldnt be missed. But i do love that guitar.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
A brand new 2203x is about double that these days. Depending on the shape of the amp, I think it's a pretty fair trade w/the OP arguably getting the better end of the deal.

Yes, I did factor that in. I believe the ad said it was a 2010 model. It is worth more used than my LP for sure. These L&M models dont fetch the kinda cash as the full on standard models.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did factor that in. I believe the ad said it was a 2010 model. It is worth more used than my LP for sure. These L&M models dont fetch the kinda cash as the full on standard models.

If you really want the amp, and you have a guitar that you don't use that can be traded away for it, then it's a no-brainer imo.

Kolanti

Reaction score
What I am saying is that if you sell a Les Paul Standard its really hard to acquire a new one due to crazy prices. For example, I got my JCM 800 by trading an orange th30 and giving 300 euros as well. I wouldn't never be able to buy a Les Paul Standard that way

Derek S

Reaction score
Everyone's needs and wants are gonna be a little different...but it seems like a pretty fair trade, especially if the amp is in excellent health (recapped recently? worn out tubes maybe? etc). I'd personally keep the guitar, especially if it's one I had an attachment to (but I say that having already gone down the 800 road). Keep us posted!

Gutch220

Reaction score
If you want a JCM800 that bad, just buy a used combo. An original from the 80's. They are available all over the place.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
If you want a JCM800 that bad, just buy a used combo. An original from the 80's. They are available all over the place.

they are available but anything that says “jcm800” here is fetching crazy prices. Ive found a 4104 combo in great condition and the guy is asking $1800 cad for it.

Gutch220

Reaction score
where do you look? I mean, Reverb and ebay are the first choices, but also look at craiglist nearby, facebook marketplace, local music shops, etc. They can be found, especially if you're willing to drive for it. The 4104 was in great condition, so it fetches a premium.

Where in Canada are you?

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Thanx for the responses. Jcm800 are kinda hard to get where I am. They are fetching crazy prices as well so when this one came up i had to have it. I normally play through headphones into my attenuator and when i do play its not super loud. I have a SLX as well and i love it but ive always wanted an 800. I figured since i dont play my LP much since getting my DC it wouldnt be missed. But i do love that guitar.

You said it. Get the amp, dude.