Les paul trade for JCM 800 help!

• Thread starter Milleniumking
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
where do you look? I mean, Reverb and ebay are the first choices, but also look at craiglist nearby, facebook marketplace, local music shops, etc. They can be found, especially if you're willing to drive for it. The 4104 was in great condition, so it fetches a premium.

Where in Canada are you?

Kijiji and fb marketplace. Im in the burlington/hamilton area

Old Punker

Reaction score
Hi all. I hate asking these questions but I really dont know what to do. This might be my only chance at getting an 800.

I have a 2019 Les Paul standard faded honey burst (satin nitro finish). Very nice guitar, a Long and Mcquade exclusive run here in Canada. Ive offered it to someone for a Jcm 800 2203x. I have a nice Les paul Junior DC so I shouldnt miss it too much.

Do you think it is a worthy trade? I know 800's need to be played at louder volumes but Ive always wanted one and I cant find any others within driving distance...... HELP. :(

Personally I would try to avoid getting rid of a LP like yours.

I am also from southern ON and 2203's often come up on Kijiji (older ones), sometimes with new caps. Occasionally the RI's too. Especially now with the new lockdown/stay at home situation guys may want to sell for quick $$ (I sincerely feel bad for anyone who has to do that).

Do you really need the volume from a 100 watter right now? You're probably not playing any larger gigs for a while anyway? Or maybe the guy would take cash? Or if you are able to wait a while longer prices may become more reasonable. I don't think anyone knows for sure the real economic impact this COVID disaster is going to have down the road.

My :2c:

Milleniumking

Reaction score
Personally I would try to avoid getting rid of a LP like yours.

I am also from southern ON and 2203's often come up on Kijiji (older ones), sometimes with new caps. Occasionally the RI's too. Especially now with the new lockdown/stay at home situation guys may want to sell for quick $$ (I sincerely feel bad for anyone who has to do that).

Do you really need the volume from a 100 watter right now? You're probably not playing any larger gigs for a while anyway? Or maybe the guy would take cash? Or if you are able to wait a while longer prices may become more reasonable. I don't think anyone knows for sure the real economic impact this COVID disaster is going to have down the road.

My :2c:

I appreciate the response man. I do not need a 100w amp right now honestly. I have 2 already! But you are right, they do come up on Kijiji often enough so I guess I will just wait for a bit longer. I guess GAS has gotten to me a bit since I havent been able to buy any new gear for a while. Im leaning towards waiting a bit longer and hopefully by an 80's model hopefully in good condition.

Milleniumking

Reaction score
If you do the trade, know you'll be jonesing for a new Les Paul to play through the 800.

Yes, I already thought of buying another LP if i lose this one. The only problem is, is that it wont be cheap. One thing I love about my LP though is that it is a satin nitro finish. Its almost like a custom shop finish, without the custom shop price tag. Im not a huge fan of the shiny gloss finish, they look great but not for me. I think Im going to hold off on the trade a bit. Im happy with my SLX for now. But as soon as I can do it I will get an 800... she will be mine.. .oh yes..... she will be mine... one day. Thanx for the help

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yes, I already thought of buying another LP if i lose this one. The only problem is, is that it wont be cheap. One thing I love about my LP though is that it is a satin nitro finish. Its almost like a custom shop finish, without the custom shop price tag. Im not a huge fan of the shiny gloss finish, they look great but not for me. I think Im going to hold off on the trade a bit. Im happy with my SLX for now. But as soon as I can do it I will get an 800... she will be mine.. .oh yes..... she will be mine... one day. Thanx for the help
Option 2, get a brand new Ceriatone 2203 or 2204 for $1K and keep the LP. :yesway:

DonaldBort

Reaction score
I have an 800 from '86 that I've always considered putting on the market.
This amp has been completely gone through, tuned up, replace all faulty components and various additions incorporated that will get the amp tone and sound of ANY Marshall amp you'd like to venture into.
The "Cork sniffer's" tell me I decreased the value of the unit, other say I'm giving it away.
No matter how anyone sees it; it's the most versatile JCM 800 around, that I'd put up head to head against any boutique amp in the same class.
Alterations (mods if you prefer to call them):
1.)Truncated the inputs from having both a low & high Input, down to a single input.
The high side now is foot switchable with it's own master volume and gain pre-amp knobs.
2.)New Filter caps, replaced worn out tube sockets, various caps and resistors and a couple tone stack pots.
3.) Box has been completely re-tolexed in white (original black was in fair shape, but the previous owner had the amp # stenciled on it in white paint that was impossible to remove).
Then in collaboration with Jens Kruse out of LA, he and I came up with a number of additions i had him incorporate into it.
* Variac that ranges from 3-7-15-25-50 watts
* V5 switching- providing 5 different voicing to dial in. JPM's, plexi's, hot rodded 800's.....
* low end switching- 3 position switch low-original-super low end.
* series FX loop.

In any event, it's a stellar amp that's able to achieve any tone desired (Djent/modern metal- Just no...) and just maybe back on the market. I haven't touched my tube amps very much in the past 8 months. I've ventured into the Synergy realm and finding much love in the variety of modules that I run from a Syn-2 into a 100 watt stereo tube power amp. Ive recently started migrating this into a total rack system I.E. "a Bradshaw Stereo W/D/W rig"
I've thought about running the SYN-2 off one of the Tube amps adding more versatility...instead I bought a new Fractal Axe-FXIII MkII that I am working on incorporating.

My advice to you... Keep your guitar. Your tone and sound desires are continually changing. Your guitars make up just one aspect of the sound and what people are hearing from you.
However, the axe needs to fit your style, comfort and the player must bond with that guitar. If I had a nickle for every guitar I bought that looked so slick and ended up selling simply because i never bonded with it or that it didn't feel as comfortable as it looked; I'd have a nicely padded bank account at this point!!!!!!
Just my 2 cents to ya... Enjoy the pics feel free to reach out if you want to know anything else about anything I wrote here.
Thanks for taking the time to read...
Don

Attachments

• JCM800.jpg
    JCM800.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 6
  • MyRig.jpg
    MyRig.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 6

Milleniumking

Reaction score
I have an 800 from '86 that I've always considered putting on the market.
This amp has been completely gone through, tuned up, replace all faulty components and various additions incorporated that will get the amp tone and sound of ANY Marshall amp you'd like to venture into.
The "Cork sniffer's" tell me I decreased the value of the unit, other say I'm giving it away.
No matter how anyone sees it; it's the most versatile JCM 800 around, that I'd put up head to head against any boutique amp in the same class.
Alterations (mods if you prefer to call them):
1.)Truncated the inputs from having both a low & high Input, down to a single input.
The high side now is foot switchable with it's own master volume and gain pre-amp knobs.
2.)New Filter caps, replaced worn out tube sockets, various caps and resistors and a couple tone stack pots.
3.) Box has been completely re-tolexed in white (original black was in fair shape, but the previous owner had the amp # stenciled on it in white paint that was impossible to remove).
Then in collaboration with Jens Kruse out of LA, he and I came up with a number of additions i had him incorporate into it.
* Variac that ranges from 3-7-15-25-50 watts
* V5 switching- providing 5 different voicing to dial in. JPM's, plexi's, hot rodded 800's.....
* low end switching- 3 position switch low-original-super low end.
* series FX loop.

In any event, it's a stellar amp that's able to achieve any tone desired (Djent/modern metal- Just no...) and just maybe back on the market. I haven't touched my tube amps very much in the past 8 months. I've ventured into the Synergy realm and finding much love in the variety of modules that I run from a Syn-2 into a 100 watt stereo tube power amp. Ive recently started migrating this into a total rack system I.E. "a Bradshaw Stereo W/D/W rig"
I've thought about running the SYN-2 off one of the Tube amps adding more versatility...instead I bought a new Fractal Axe-FXIII MkII that I am working on incorporating.

My advice to you... Keep your guitar. Your tone and sound desires are continually changing. Your guitars make up just one aspect of the sound and what people are hearing from you.
However, the axe needs to fit your style, comfort and the player must bond with that guitar. If I had a nickle for every guitar I bought that looked so slick and ended up selling simply because i never bonded with it or that it didn't feel as comfortable as it looked; I'd have a nicely padded bank account at this point!!!!!!
Just my 2 cents to ya... Enjoy the pics feel free to reach out if you want to know anything else about anything I wrote here.
Thanks for taking the time to read...
Don

Thanx for the help man. Im holding off for now. I love that Les paul too much to let it go. I will get the 800 one day.

South Park

Reaction score
Keep the LP and get a 2204 kit and we will walk you Thur the build . And you will have the amp you want .