Let's get serious!! JVM210H

• Thread starter Pat6969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Another trick is to use pedals as a clean boost on a dirty amp. Figure out what you think your tone is missing and we can all figure out which OD pedal, boost or EQ pedal can fix the tone. I know a guy here who used a Bad Monkey as a clean boost to tighten things up for instance and another who uses a SD-1 clean boost to get what he needs, another guy uses a Fulltone, etc.

I usually have my amp set to edge of breakup and use a Bad Monkey and GE7 both set as clean boosts sometimes individually or in unison to get varying levels of OD or distortion.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm using a 1960b cab with G12t-75's. I swapped out 2 of them and tried some v30's as well. The last combo I liked was my Randall RD45 with 2 v30's and 2 Greenbacks. I'm thinking I might snag a couple GB's to see if that is my preference.

The tone I'm looking for is some nice higher gain with good low end chug when I'm muting. I'm getting more of a quacking high gain if that makes sense. I bought the amp brand new about 3 months ago. Truthfully, I'm leaning towards the possibility it's the EL34's I'm not digging. Too bad I can't throw in 6l6's and give that a whirl. I have 5 ECC83 JJ tubes laying around, do you think that might change my tone a bit?

KT77's will give you the low end of a 6L6 and decrease compression. Quacking might be too much midrange possibly? How does it sound with just the 75's?

I'm having the same issue as Pat, you can get some lovely tone out of it when playing in standard and doing rock n roll kind of stuff. But as soon as you drop tune use active pick ups I just find it muddy's up to hell and when I had a cab with v30's it was so fuzzy. I fixed the fuzzy issue with a cab change. But it's still muddy and I can't cut through and find the modern metal tone I want. I would be getting an Engl but can't afford it so I'm trying the KT77's instead.

Maybe use less gain with the amp and push it with a pedal to get more clarity and thump. Which channel are you using?

Pat6969

Reaction score
I'm using the OD orange channel. I got away from pedals, I was a pedal junkie and it was seriously getting out of hand. I sold everything and now use a GT-10. I am thinking of going to an M13 or a GSystem but that's another thread.

Sound is ok with just the 75's. I'm finding if I lighten my pick attack I get rid of the midrange quack but I've been playing for 30 years so changing my style would be really tough.

I was thinking maybe I could try to re bias it hotter. Heard theyre biased cold from the factory. Would that help? Maybe before I change to KT77's. I don't know, I'm willing to try anything because I want to like this amp!!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm using the OD orange channel. I got away from pedals, I was a pedal junkie and it was seriously getting out of hand. I sold everything and now use a GT-10. I am thinking of going to an M13 or a GSystem but that's another thread.

Sound is ok with just the 75's. I'm finding if I lighten my pick attack I get rid of the midrange quack but I've been playing for 30 years so changing my style would be really tough.

I was thinking maybe I could try to re bias it hotter. Heard theyre biased cold from the factory. Would that help? Maybe before I change to KT77's. I don't know, I'm willing to try anything because I want to like this amp!!

OD orange? That might be the problem, try crunch orange or red and boost it with something, you'll get better clarity and less mud, if you need more low end use your GT-10. Definitely check the bias too, I'd rather make sure its set "right" than set hotter though. KT77's will reduce compression which creates a more open airy tone (midrangier) but also adds more to the low end, I dont know if adding more midrange will resolve your tone issue. Also try turning down your presence to remove the quack. Groove Tube EL34M's that I have made my DSL sound really compressed, maybe that will be better for modern tone. I dont know that tubes are the answer to your problem for that matter, it could be just the choice of speakers or the right pedal (your GT-10 should have something in it). I read alot of the drop-metal players use Celestion G12K-100 speakers, take a look at those and see what you think, ask around and see if anybody else has used them. I've been really interested in them for a while but cant seem to find any 2nd hand. Here's what Celestion says:

"A massive bottom-end, rock-hard mid-range and restrained top-end make this the perfect speaker to add thump and grind to modern high-gain tones.

Loaded in 4x12s it delivers its famous sledgehammer lows, as favoured by Slipknot's Mick Thomson, but it also often finds use in small boutique combos, bringing a powerful mix of low-end warmth and mid-range attack."

Last edited:

Pat6969

Reaction score
I've been searching for the thread on biasing the JVM. Anyone have the link?

4Horseman

Reaction score
When you're done messing around, throw an eq on OD red and see how that works.:D just messing with you man, well kinda. Seriously, I'm in drop D on an active Jackson right now. I'm using 1960a/b stack with GT12-75's, same head (aside from tubes). It was a little muddy till I added eq, now I won't play metal on red without it. But, judging from what I read around here, I'm the only nut who likes OD red on the jvm210h so....... might only be 1¢ I will agree with pedecamp, crunch red is where its at if you want add boost. Oh yeah, what the hell you doing on OD orange, you "metal head"?:cheers:

Pat6969

Reaction score
Ya, I bought the amp for its apparent versatility so I didn't have to use any pedals to get varying degrees of overdrive. If the OD orange and red are unusable then this amp is useless to me. We play a variety of tunes and I wanted the simplicity of midi switching to different gain stages.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I'm bringing this back from the dead!! I sold my 210 a while ago but am thinking of getting another one(I found a wicked deal). I only tried it with the 1960A cab with G12T-75's. I now have cabs with GB's, V30's and the G12T cab. I'm finding I like all my other heads with any other cab but the G12T's.

Could this have been my problem all along?

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back from the dead!! I sold my 210 a while ago but am thinking of getting another one(I found a wicked deal). I only tried it with the 1960A cab with G12T-75's. I now have cabs with GB's, V30's and the G12T cab. I'm finding I like all my other heads with any other cab but the G12T's.

Could this have been my problem all along?

I have a JVM 210 head, and I run it through a 1936 cab with G12T-75s, and I think the amp sounds great.