• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

looking for amp tech in northern virginia

• Thread starter hoochiemama127
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hoochiemama127

Reaction score
my marshall jcm 800 combo is not working properly. The sound is just off and i was wondering if you guys knew any reliable amp techs in the nova area?

vanled69

Reaction score
Hey Hoochie! Try posting exactly what the problem is and the date and specific model of JCM 800 that you have and some of the tech guys here will be able to give you some good advice. You may just need some new tubes and a bias adjustment, which is something you could "possibly" do yourself with the proper knowledge and safety precautions. There are individuals on here that you could send your amp to in the worst case - but when you got it back you might be very happy this happened because they could fix your problem and add some "seasoning" if you wanted! That is what I plan to do with mine shortly.

hoochiemama127

Reaction score
i don't really know what's wrong. The amp just sounds bad when i turn on the distortion and it rattles unbelievably

vanled69

Reaction score
Hey Hoochie. The only thing I could add is that I have a JCM 800 4104 model combo. It has the G12m-70 speakers and I do not really like the sound of them and probably it being an open backed cabinet doesn't help at all either. I play it through a 4 x 12 1960 cab with a boost up front and the sound is almost a night and day difference. I have it out of the cab now and am in the process of trying to get head cabinet to put it in and not use the combo cab at all. I used to use a distortion pedal with it on the low input because the high did not sound good to me - couldn't get the real crunch - too muddy. Doing what I do now I using the high with just the boost, it tightens the sound, and it sounds great! I would check the speaker screws for the rattling on yours and see if the speakers have any tears etc also. Make sure the screws holding the amp in the cab are tight too! Other than that maybe someone else here can recommend a tech in your area. Good luck!

syn

Reaction score
found them on this site
Tube amp Service Technicians

Atlas Amplifier Repair - (Fairfax Station, VA) We specialize in vintage tube amps. Our focus is on meticulous attention to the details that affect the tone of the vintage amp. We stock vintage carbon comp resistors and have many vintage period correct parts for Fender and Marshall. Tube amplifier repair, vintage vacuum tube sales, and more. Reasonable rates. Contact: Jimmy Hummer via email at - guitar.jimmyhummer@gmail.com PH: 202-596-5196

Roger Pinto, owner of Universal Electronic Repairs has 27 years of experience servicing anything that plugs in the wall. He is the former Senior Technician for Marshall Amps as well as a Lead Technician for Korg USA. While working for Marshall, Roger has had the opportunity to work on some of the most famous musicians equipment in the world as well as teaching for Korg and Marshall service centers. He was also an Adjunct Professor of Electronic Technology with Five Towns College in N.Y. With his extensive background and knowledge of electronics as well as his experiences with Marshall and Korg, he can fix or modify anything you have that needs it. Whatever it is, just call or e-mail. stringking@earthlink.net or 434-974-1519. All estimates are free and the prices are low. web site Welcome to Universal Electronic Repairs - Serviced by Roger Pinto