Looking for help in choosing Marshall head

• Thread starter johnnygriswold
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnnygriswold

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals),

I'm not a novice player, but I'm a novice when it comes to Marshall heads. I've been using a Fender head since I started playing.

Anyway, I'm looking for a slight change in sound. For reference, you can check out my sound by visiting: MySpace.com - American Speedway - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Rock / Rock / Rock - www.myspace.com/americanspeedway

The other guitarist recently built a new head based off of Plexi schematics. My sound now is very loud and screamy, especially when going to leads. I've never used a pedal because that always just caused a lot of feedback and even more scream. So much that you can't even distinguish lead notes.

So, I'm wondering what is a reasonably priced (not looking to spend over 2 grand - would rather it be 1500 or below) Marshall head for the sound I want.

I'd like a nice crunchy and warm rhythm and when I get to my leads, I'd like a boost in volume or something that will make my leads stand out with presence. Right now you can barely tell I'm playing a lead. It's just a screamy noise! Ugh!

Any advice on a new Marshall head and even pedal advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for all kinds of crazy foot pedals or anything. Just step on something to go into and out of an easy rock lead.

I'm playing through a JCM900 4-12 cab

Thanks so much to anyone that responds.

Johnny

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say a Vintage Modern but from hearing your sound i would
agree with the DSL 50 or 100

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killer

I have been thinking about replacing my second head
(Higain 900 100watt head) with a DSL 100

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
I am always moaning about my JCM 900 100w as it refuses to sing when soling. I never have issues with the sound, just the lifeless response. I have tried several o/d pedals (inc. H&K Tubeman etc) and nothing helped until recently. I tried a simple Ibanez Tube Screamer and it started to sing properly! The JCM900 is a medium gain monster and far cheaper than the DSL and sounds very good. Also its clean channel is beautifully jangly. Thanks to the Tube Screamer I now have 3 'channels'.

The DSL is hi-gain and is a successor to the JCM800 model. It is dedicated to gain and has switchable channels, but they are very sought after and could be more pricy.

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
I've seen a new DSL 100 for $1200. I almost bought it but bought the JVM instead. Same store.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres a Marshall DSL50 for sale on eBay for $750!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
JVM410H will get you a wide spectrum of sonic tones. The gain is so sensitive on the OD1 and OD2 channels, that I rarely go past 12 o'clock (gain a'plenty). The clean is fantastic, while the tone stacking circuit really makes this head sound like a classic Marshall from the 60's and 70's. The Clead Red channel is so damn beefy without getting into insane amounts of gain, great for blues leads. I know people like to setup these JCM vs JVM types of comparisons which usually lead to aficionados bashing any "others", but the JVM really covers the sonic characterstic of "gain" quite nicely (remember, "distortion" and "gain" are NOT the same thing) and is quite different from the DSL or TSL. I love the DSL and TSL heads and would never turn down an opportunity of owning one, but when I had to make a decision, I chose the JVM and am happy ever since. JVM, DSL, TSL, etc.= you can't go wrong! Happy picking/plucking/tapping/hammering/pull offs!

stryker59

Reaction score
JVM410H will get you a wide spectrum of sonic tones. The gain is so sensitive on the OD1 and OD2 channels, that I rarely go past 12 o'clock (gain a'plenty). The clean is fantastic, while the tone stacking circuit really makes this head sound like a classic Marshall from the 60's and 70's. The Clead Red channel is so damn beefy without getting into insane amounts of gain, great for blues leads. I know people like to setup these JCM vs JVM types of comparisons which usually lead to aficionados bashing any "others", but the JVM really covers the sonic characterstic of "gain" quite nicely (remember, "distortion" and "gain" are NOT the same thing) and is quite different from the DSL or TSL. I love the DSL and TSL heads and would never turn down an opportunity of owning one, but when I had to make a decision, I chose the JVM and am happy ever since. JVM, DSL, TSL, etc.= you can't go wrong! Happy picking/plucking/tapping/hammering/pull offs!

im partial to the jvm myself!
100_1488.jpg

zslane

Reaction score
If you keep a search open on eBay, you can find some really good deals on heads, including DSL 100s. I picked up my DSL 100 with a 1960A cab recently for $1100. It is used gear, but in excellent working and cosmetic condition. And it had a new set of JJ's recently installed.

codyfarmer

Reaction score
There is a DSL50 used at my Guitar Center for $600 bucks...you can't beat that.

Pearse

Reaction score
Hey, well im new here but i have a 1980s 100w JMP head the master volume one. its rhythm is really crunchy like the old JCM 800s from 81 to 83 or 4 but much cheaper i got one on ebay for 460 pounds. it has the same circut and is as loud as youl ever need. very simple 4 band EQ and pre-amp and master. As for soloing i use an over drive pedal or tube screamer its realy responsive, like turning your whole rig up a notch, definetly enough for that solo boost. Definetly worth checkin out.

johnnygriswold

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two heads?

JVM410H and the JVM205H

Other than the $600 difference in price...

I've looked on ebay, but quite honestly, i really don't feel comfortable going that route. The last thing I want is a box of rocks showing up at my door.

Pearse

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two heads?

JVM410H and the JVM205H

Other than the $600 difference in price...

I've looked on ebay, but quite honestly, i really don't feel comfortable going that route. The last thing I want is a box of rocks showing up at my door.

em ya the 410H is the normal one with 4 chanels and 3 gain stages on each which ends up with quite alot to work with although is quite simple to use is nearly too much unless you play lots of different types of songs in one set.

On the other hand the 205H is a simpler version with only two channels but still has all the gain stages and other features including the memory feature.
Hope this helped

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
It's a little more than that. the 410 has OD1 which has it's midrange control set at 650 Hz. OD2 has it at 500 Hz. The 205 has the equivalent of OD2 for the overdrive channel. So they'll boost or scoop in different places. So depending upon what style you're playing.. I really wish they'd built a 50W version of the 410.

BTW I've seen brand new DSL100s selling at $1200.