• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Looking for new amp! MG250DFX Vs. MG100DFX

• Thread starter Darin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap_Iron

Reaction score
DCooper, of course you're right, the MG4x12 is 8 Ohms, I was in error.

Darin, check out the Eminence and Weber speakers as well. They both have British type speakers available. If you get the MG100 combo and replace the speaker, you will have a rig that is versatile and perfectly good for rehearsal and gigging and still fit in your price range.

Although valve Marshalls are nice, they are more expensive to purchase and maintain (but also have better resale value). Figure that into your budget; only you know what you want to spend.

Weber Speakers - Making the world a bit louder each day.

Eminence - The Leader in guitar speakers, bass speakers, and pro audio loudspeakers. Great upgrades for JBL, Celestion, Jensen, and Fane.

US SPEAKER PARTS - Speakers, Speaker Cabinets, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, , Woofers, HF Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Eminence Speaker, JBL speakers, 18 Sound, B&C, EV, Tannoy, Peavey, Celestion, RCF, Jensen, Beyma, Fane, P

Darin

Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I am thinking of doing, Getting the MG100DFX and replacing the speaker in the future.

Thanks for the links for different speaker makes and models, I am looking at them already.

I play mostly Metal and Rock so I need to get a 4 ohm 100watt speaker =).

lemansfanatic

Reaction score
You can get a lot of Amp for $500 my friend. I got my JCM2000 DSL for $500 and its in like new condition, not even a scratch! Then with any change you have left over, get a cheap 1X12 speaker cab and upgrade your cab later. You will never regret buying the nice amp though. SS is great for people who want to set it and forget it, but look into all tube, you will never regret it. Oh yeah, and if you do decide you want to go the tube route, you will never be able to use all 100 watts even in a large club- you'll deafen the croud and piss off the rest of the band with a cranked 50 watt tube amp!

Scrap_Iron

Reaction score
LeMans, I think the Marshall solid states are "nice" amps, they are the best sounding solid state amps out there. None of the other "modeling" amps or pods sound as Marshally. And one advantage of solid state is consistent tone throughout the power range. That is very versatile if you are adjusting volume for rehearsal or small venue.

And I don't want anybody to underestimate the cost of having a Marshall valve amp. Not everybody can get a great deal of $500 for a mint DSL50, and you gotta know what you're doing to buy a used tube amp. It's usually a good idea to have a tech go over it (that costs), sometimes it might need retubing (that costs). Buying a new (with warranty) MG is pretty safe for a young musician without a lot of experience or resources, a reliable fully working amp ready to go.

BTW, I am very wary of buying any used solid state stuff...just not reliable enough to be worth it, and it's sometimes difficult to find someone to fix it or impossible to fix because too much interelated damage or aged components.

Vintager12

Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I am thinking of doing, Getting the MG100DFX and replacing the speaker in the future.

Thanks for the links for different speaker makes and models, I am looking at them already.

I play mostly Metal and Rock so I need to get a 4 ohm 100watt speaker =).

As I said get an ALL TUBE amp !

Bucknasty

Reaction score
Hey if the guy has his mind set on geting the mg, that's what he is going to get. I understand where he is coming from on wanting to get it. He can go to his local guitar store, play it, see if he likes it and if he does he can get it. He can't do that with the tube amps on ebay, and he will most likely get a warrenty on the new mg.

Vintager12

Reaction score
Hey if the guy has his mind set on geting the mg, that's what he is going to get. I understand where he is coming from on wanting to get it. He can go to his local guitar store, play it, see if he likes it and if he does he can get it. He can't do that with the tube amps on ebay, and he will most likely get a warrenty on the new mg.

He has t rock out on the MG and on some tube amps... He will see what's a better amp. And who cares for warrenty, all marshall amps are won't give it up before the warrenty is passed.

Darin

Reaction score
I am going to try the MG100DFX Combo tomorrow, If I like it I will probably buy it right away.

If I am happy with the amp, I will replace the speaker in the future. I think that is the best thing for me to do with my budget.

Vintager12

Reaction score
I am going to try the MG100DFX Combo tomorrow, If I like it I will probably buy it right away.

If I am happy with the amp, I will replace the speaker in the future. I think that is the best thing for me to do with my budget.

Well it's not, you better get a clone of the Marshall 2061X (Around 500$) and a single Celestion V30 speaker, then build the cab yourself then you will have a 18w killer amp, but for gigs you have to mic. your amp.

Darin

Reaction score
Right now I am not in a band, and I am not playing gigs. I am thinking of playing with some people soon, and I think the MG100DFX would be fine for PRACTICE AND FOR SMALL GIGS IF I DO ANY IN THE FUTURE.

Besides...the head you posted doesn't have many features that I want, All I see is tone and volume.

Vintager12

Reaction score
Right now I am not in a band, and I am not playing gigs. I am thinking of playing with some people soon, and I think the MG100DFX would be fine for PRACTICE AND FOR SMALL GIGS IF I DO ANY IN THE FUTURE.

Besides...the head you posted doesn't have many features that I want, All I see is tone and volume.

That's all you need, and if you want some effects buy STOMP BOXES they sound a lot better then those dumb effects you can get out of the 100DFX. Those are CREAM OF CRAP. The 18w amp is better then the mg and for pratice it's loud enough, 2x as loud as the 100DFX.
If you still don't wanna buy a tube amp, ill help you find a cool solid state or hybrid amp.
Here is hownice the tube amp i showed sounds: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybFmfFDZ-c[/ame] or a better one: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASBYEzHvbQ&feature=related[/ame]

It only has a tone and volume pot, that's why it's so awsome and why you can get some awsome tones out of it and it's so simple to get.

Real vintage rock tone as you can hear !!!!!!!!
:headbanger:

Last edited:

Darin

Reaction score
I will, heading out to the music store in an hour or so :).

JohnH

Reaction score
I reckon right now, its best to hold on until you can check out the Haze amps - they may be exactly whats wanted here, or the new MG4 models.

A 100W MG will get the job done on a budget, particularly with a carefully chosen stomp box or two, and a beat to crap secondhand 1960 cab rather than an MG cab. But for the MG line, wait to see the new models before buying.

A 20W 2061 as proposed above is just great, Id love one myself, but its too loud to crank up at home, as you have to to get its great tones, and its about 2 to 3x the cost of an MG head.

John

Darin

Reaction score
Well...I guess I will be buying the MG100HDFX and the Marshall MG-412A Angled 4x12".

I tried the combo and it just wasn't doing it for me so I decided to get the Amp and the Cab. I can always upgrade the speakers in the future, that is what I plan on doing.

The cab is 340$ canadian and the amp is 430$. I put everything on lay-away for now but I might go pick it up this weekend.

so everything is close to $1,000. I don't need an AMAZING system, I mostly use distortion and I liked it on the 100HDFX head, I can also just buy some pedals if I want to improve it.

Scrap_Iron

Reaction score
The MG4x12 doesn't have a lot of fans; however, I've been using mine since Dec., even after I got my DSL in the beginning of March. I don't look for extreme speaker distortion and they're not too loud, but that has worked for me. They are Celestion designed after all, it's a 4x12 closed back cab, there's some goodness there.

But I have time now to break in 2 Celestion Classic Lead 80s to put in there. They're going in an X-pattern along with 2 "vintage" JBL K120's. The advantage of keeping the MG cab is it's size. If you don't have to shake the world with it, it works fine.

Happy picking!

Darin

Reaction score
I am also glad this amp has a master volume, I mostly play in my room and I don't like to crank it up right high most of the time. I am sure the master volume will help with that by the reviews I've read.

How would you rate the stock speakers out of 1 to 10 :naughty:

Scrap_Iron

Reaction score
Considering I would rate some speakers at a "0" and lets say that "1" is barely usable to "10" AWESOME, I would rate the stock speakers at a "3."

They are colored for Marshall/Celestion lower midrange, not much bass. Don't want to distort the speakers, just let them reproduce the MG and take advantage of the FDD switch. Having 4 of them in a closed back cabinet elevates the overall speaker experience, so enjoy.

Vintager12

Reaction score
Well...I guess I will be buying the MG100HDFX and the Marshall MG-412A Angled 4x12".

I tried the combo and it just wasn't doing it for me so I decided to get the Amp and the Cab. I can always upgrade the speakers in the future, that is what I plan on doing.

The cab is 340$ canadian and the amp is 430$. I put everything on lay-away for now but I might go pick it up this weekend.

so everything is close to $1,000. I don't need an AMAZING system, I mostly use distortion and I liked it on the 100HDFX head, I can also just buy some pedals if I want to improve it.

With the MG cab the MG head is horrible, if you don't liked the combo youre not gonna like the stack too. Wait for the Marshall HAZE sires, they are in your budjet and a lot better then MG's.