Looking For New Speaker And Tubes For My Dsl40cr

• Thread starter cameron26
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cameron26

Reaction score
i didnt see this topic yet. Im currently looking for a better speaker and tubes for my dsl40cr. I love this amp. Sounds good. Plenty loud. just may be there might be upgrade options.
Tones i enjoy.

slash
joe banamassa spelling i know
page.
angus

i play Gibson tribute with 490 and 498t pickups. pedals only board include. tuner - wah - ts-delay-phase 90. i also use channel switch pedal. line6 g30

mostly looking for clean to light crunchy and a slash tone for our heaviest songs.

i like a good bluesy sound that doesn't break up to early think page,joe b , bb, freddy

then i like some that break up right away. Think acdc, ozzy etc

I would also like to hook up a 212 cab to play all 3 speakers for a fuller sound.
so what im looking for is
-Tube options
-Speaker options
-Speaker cab options
-knob numbers for dialing in a good solid lead tone

I dont know much about any of these subjects. Why im here. IF there is a sticky on any of these would be great and any good advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Rickrevs

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,i would trawl through some posts on here to get an idea of what your after...there are loads of posts about the older 40dc dsl(500 plus)where the speaker was bad, and a few tone mods were done to bright caps etc..as far as my knowledge goes with the newer 40cr it had a good speaker and they had sorted a lot of the problems with the older one..valves are subjective and really hard to get an idea whats good ..i know ive been there lol
edit; check here also
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/the-official-marshall-dsl40cr-information-thread.100006/

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I tried quite a few different tubes in mine and none of them made an OMG difference. Think it has the originals back in it now. You can spend a fortune trying different speakers but they're just that - different. Again the stocker isn't really bad. Set the bias at around 32 and play around with eq until you get what you like. I have no bass, no resonance, mids and treble around max and I use the presence to control the brightness - it's usually about 9 o clock. There again my guitar might be quite different to yours.
It's a great amp - enjoy it.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Doesn't the CR have the Celestion V-Type? The V-type has been decribed as 50% G12M greenback, and the other 50, part Vintage 30, part G12H. That might already be the best speaker for those reference tones.

Slash: V30
JB: EletroVoice but the V30 might be the best alternative among Celestions
Page: G12H
Young: G12M Greenback.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
V30 in my dsl40cr. The v-type was very good tho. Not a world of difference but I liked the v30 a little more.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
That amp comes with the Creamback doesnt it? If so, Thats a great speaker what dont you like about it? If it has another speaker that would be my choice for rock and blues!

As for tubes, its all about the tone you are after and what it is that you dont like now about it.

AlanH

Reaction score
Are you a home player or in a band?

Have you tried dialling in low on the gain (1 on ultra or 3 on classic) and cranking your volumes to about 5?

The way to get a good tone with a Marshall is to get those power tubes working and moving some air.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
That amp comes with the Creamback doesnt it? If so, Thats a great speaker what dont you like about it? If it has another speaker that would be my choice for rock and blues!

As for tubes, its all about the tone you are after and what it is that you dont like now about it.

The CR comes with the V-Type

Rickrevs

Reaction score
yep older 40c had seventy 80...sweetwater did a deal on the older one with a creamback in but the new one has a celestion v type

tschrama

Reaction score
dont waste ur money on tubes... try some speakers, maybe add a openback 1x12 with G12M.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mesa Road King 2x12 is a great and versatile all around cab. One V30 and one Black Shadow C90. The cab is mono or stereo, you can also play one speaker or the other if you want.

lovehifi

Reaction score
I swapped the V for a 12m-65 Creamback in mine and love it. Tried different tubes and all I ended up doing was putting a Gold Lion in V1. One of the most important things to do with the CR is make sure its biased correctly. Many come biased very hot. Mine was at 40ma and I biased it down to 33ma. Much better and no fizzy gain.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I put an Eminence Private Jack (50 watts, 8 ohms) in my older DSL40C, and it absolutely rips. Greenback style sound, definitely does the Slash and Angus thing very well. A little tighter bottom end than a Celestion, handles both cleans and drop D metal shenanigans no problem. Made in USA, 80 bucks street. What's not to love?? :dude: