Looking for one more OD pedal for my SV20h

• Thread starter Shane Stevenson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
That's a bummer. I was pretty excited to check one out.
Then def check it out--all I am saying is that compared to other ODs it has more noise. I'm an OD junky--plus I have a tone in my head I always seem to attempt to replicate no matter the rig. I'm just one yumyum with an opinion that's based on personal taste. Angus rocks the thing still

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a Tim or a Timmy. Before I do I’d like to know the major differences. For reference both pedals I’m looking at are the v3. I’m not interested in running either one in the loop. Just out front.

V-man

Reaction score
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a Tim or a Timmy. Before I do I’d like to know the major differences. For reference both pedals I’m looking at are the v3. I’m not interested in running either one in the loop. Just out front.
Features and footprint, largely.

the Timmy is the Tim, light one boost, one (external) toggle option and FX loop. The first 4 knobs on the Tim’s face are the same as the Timmy’s 4. The last 2 of the Tim shape the parameters of the boost. I am guessing the Timmy’s only toggle is the clipping option, and the Tim offers that on one external toggle with another for a hi/lo cut option.

If you would rarely/never use the boost, or space is at an absolute premium, the Timmy is the economical solution in all ways. If you want maximum flexibility, more dynamic interaction with dirt, mod or time-based FX, the Tim provides those extra features with the ability to run them in the loop (in addition to before/after like other pedals).

It also serves as a 2-channel Timmy of sorts, as you can set the Tim for an “edge of breakup” tone for example, then set the boost for a hotter signal, giving you two input/gain levels of the same pedal with the stomp of the switch.

Both are very well-regarded by their fans. I have a V3 Tim (a must as I sold my V1 back when at a nice profit but it peaked at $1,000 before the V3 returned) and I have a MXR V2 (not needed but a good deal in the local craigslist).

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I just ordered the Tim v3 off reverb. $224 after tax. I could have put in an offer but these rarely pop up used and the seller claims to have bought it new. Who knows. Anyway, It has the original box but no paperwork. If I don’t like it I don’t think I’ll lose that much money if any at all.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
I have the MXR Timmy @fitz pictured on my board & think it’s great. Versatile with switch options & EQ, but usually have it set low gain & forget. Works great with SV & all my amps.
Never tried the original, but would like to down the track…

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the MXR Timmy @fitz pictured on my board & think it’s great. Versatile with switch options & EQ, but usually have it set low gain & forget.
After all this Timmy talk, I got mine out of the box and set it up on the Haze15 just as you described.
Always on low gain with a little front end EQ and the symmetrical / asymmetrical clipping options.
Works great on both channels.

Greg Rogers

Reaction score
I’m very happy with the pedals I’m using with my SV20h and LP loaded with bare knuckle black dogs. I’m ditching the spark mini and putting it with another amp. I’m in search of one more OD pedal that’s not a TS type. I’ve got the Tube Screamer thing covered with my TS808hw and BD-2.

I have seriously considered the Timmy and almost pulled the trigger on the V2 last night. I’ve never used a Timmy but it seems like every time there’s a subject dealing with OD pedals the Timmy is praised.

I also considered the OCD and a RAT. Is there a pedal that some of you guys can’t live without and that work well with the SV20h?
A treble booster is great with the SV and Les Paul. Analogman Beano . Also the Snouse Electric CO’s Black Box Overdrive 2 is awesome with it. It’s a Blues Breaker circuit but with more. The one with Stage Pro Mod has toggles on the side instead of dip switches inside.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Timmy, but it's on a board connected to a Rivera amp. It just didn't beat out an of the pedals on the board I have connected to my Marshall's. But, I'm glad I have it.

DAC1260

Reaction score
I’m very happy with the pedals I’m using with my SV20h and LP loaded with bare knuckle black dogs. I’m ditching the spark mini and putting it with another amp. I’m in search of one more OD pedal that’s not a TS type. I’ve got the Tube Screamer thing covered with my TS808hw and BD-2.

I have seriously considered the Timmy and almost pulled the trigger on the V2 last night. I’ve never used a Timmy but it seems like every time there’s a subject dealing with OD pedals the Timmy is praised.

I also considered the OCD and a RAT. Is there a pedal that some of you guys can’t live without and that work well with the SV20h
I’ve got the SV20H paired with a Marshall 1965A 4X10 cabinet with G-10 30 watt Greenbacks. The Xotic BB Preamp pedal is, imho what works best for me with this half stack. I also have a 2061X and the Wampler Tumnus works best for my ears with that head and another 1965A cab with the same speakers. It took time and experimentation to get to this point. My only suggestion is for you to not get discouraged and keep trying different pedals until you find what works best for your ears and how your hands sound.

Last edited:

KirkD777

Reaction score
Have you heard the Black Country Customs Tony Iommi Boost? I need to get one. The videos sound great!
I also like the tone I can get from a simple SD-1 with the gain all the way down. And the volume and tone all the way up. Works like a treble booster. I haven't tried it on a Marshall I don't think, just my Supro Black Magick. Works great. It's a Josh Homme trick but works very well.

Last edited:

Cysquatch

Reaction score

I also considered the OCD and a RAT. Is there a pedal that some of you guys can’t live without and that work well with the SV20h?
I think the real question is what utility are you looking for from the additional pedal? If you're just wanting the elusive "more" of the core tone, compressors are probably your best bet, or something Klon-ish; the Tumnus Deluxe is a killer option that I highly endorse for that route. If you're wanting to actually change the tone via filtering and/or more gain, the RAT is a good option that can fill more roles than it often gets credit for. And a standard ProCo is only $90 new, so a comfortable buy. If you don't have a decent 6-7+ band or parametric EQ, those can absolutely change your world or just finesse the raw sound into your perfect version of what it could be. There's only about a gorillion options there of varying price and features sets that are pretty much all decent or better.

Really all depends on your exact use case.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
A Tim/my is NOT an OD, nor is a Klone. Those are clean boosts.

Maybe I need to update my definition of clean boost. I have a RYRA Klone and it has a gain knob that adds a considerable amount of distortion. I thought that would fall under OD?

V-man

Reaction score
Maybe I need to update my definition of clean boost. I have a RYRA Klone and it has a gain knob that adds a considerable amount of distortion. I thought that would fall under OD?

My terminology was haphazard -made for the sake of the point but still, not technically accurate.

Klones, Tim/mys, and a handful of other pedals fall under the umbrella of “Transparent Overdrives,” which (for artistic license of the point) is an entirely different animal from the OD family that thousands or 10s of thousands of copies and “based-ons” sprang from making “clean boost” a more simplistic (albeit inaccurate) classification.

That said, “considerable amount of distortion” means nothing in itself as it relates to classifying these pedals. I have 2 real “clean boosts:” an actual TC BLD from ‘82 and an Empress Parametric EQ Deluxe (with boost). Move the boost level far enough up on either of those pedals and you have as big a mess on your hands as any 14-y.o in 1990 had running a Metal Zone through a Crate.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
My terminology was haphazard -made for the sake of the point but still, not technically accurate.

Klones, Tim/mys, and a handful of other pedals fall under the umbrella of “Transparent Overdrives,” which (for artistic license of the point) is an entirely different animal from the OD family that thousands or 10s of thousands of copies and “based-ons” sprang from making “clean boost” a more simplistic (albeit inaccurate) classification.

That said, “considerable amount of distortion” means nothing in itself as it relates to classifying these pedals. I have 2 real “clean boosts:” an actual TC BLD from ‘82 and an Empress Parametric EQ Deluxe (with boost). Move the boost level far enough up on either of those pedals and you have as big a mess on your hands as any 14-y.o in 1990 had running a Metal Zone through a Crate.
The way I understand it is clean boosts are meant to increase the level, but not alter the tone.
With a good amp this may result in a happy accident.
Overdrives increase the level but can also change the tone in the process, maybe adding a little distortion from the pedal at high gain.
The main point of overdrives is to induce distortion in the Amp by pushing the tubes past the level they can operate smoothly.
Distortion and Fuzz add clipping in the pedal, although most of them can do clean boost if you turn the gain down they are designed to distort the signal by a large amount in the pedal.
So to oversimplify and dumb down
Clean Boost - No Distortion
Overdrive - Distortion in Amp
Distortion - Distortion in Pedal
Fuzz - Chaos in Pedal.

V-man

Reaction score
The way I understand it is clean boosts are meant to increase the level, but not alter the tone.
With a good amp this may result in a happy accident.
Overdrives increase the level but can also change the tone in the process, maybe adding a little distortion from the pedal at high gain.
The main point of overdrives is to induce distortion in the Amp by pushing the tubes past the level they can operate smoothly.
More or less, Yes…. Only transparent ODs seem more purpose-built to preserve the tone while operating as ODs.

Distortion and Fuzz add clipping in the pedal, although most of them can do clean boost if you turn the gain down they are designed to distort the signal by a large amount in the pedal.
So to oversimplify and dumb down
Clean Boost - No Distortion
Overdrive - Distortion in Amp
Distortion - Distortion in Pedal
Fuzz - Chaos in Pedal.

Largely so, only clean boosts add signal to the preamp (like many drive pedals with level engaged and tone/gain controls disabled -to the point they can be). That signal boost from a clean boost can will and does affect clipping.

A perfect example is Slayer and Anthrax. While most of their contemporaries boosted the front of a 2203 with an OD or early Distortion (TS-9/DS-1, etc) their 2203s were boosted (to clipping/distortion) via a 10-band EQ or booster/line-driver, which achieved essentially the same OD effect through a different style of circuit.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score

10-4. Yeah, I always assumed "clean boost" just increased the level/volume but wouldn't add distortion on its own. Like a good ol' Boss GE-7. The RYRA Klone is pretty unique (to me) in that it seems to run your dry signal in parallel with the pedal's overdrive/distortion circuit. You can hear the distortion (from the pedal) overlaying on your dry signal. I assume that's why they call it transparent.

ampeq

Reaction score
As a rule I don’t like most dirt pedal, unless I go all the way to fuzz. However if you want to keep your sound and add some more punch, or need a good lead boost, try the HorseBreaker from Ceriatone. it’s by far the best drive pedal I have ever used. Plus you get the Marshall Blues Breaker in the same pedal and they can be mixed in either direction. The Klon side is incredible and won’t color your tone, the BB side does change the tone a little but in a good way. Depending how you mix the two you can get from mild to wild.

Latest posts