looking into marshall amps....

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
now mine may not be different inprice now so we'd have to look them up before the deal if you were interested but i would want it to be fair for us both.

axe arsenal

Reaction score
You need to try a JVM 410H. This is the Marshall with the most low end (thanks to that resonance control). Btw, my 2203KK doesn't have as much low end, fresh tubes or not.. and properly biased ... It does cut through the mix better than my other amps and that is sometimes more important when you're playing in a band..Those mids are great!

jd267

Reaction score
Tryed a jvm had to flubby of a base for me got over it quick. Thinking of keeping my engl it's to balls of a amp. For that scooped tone if you no what I mean. I'm looking for the zakk wylde tone. Thinking I need a 2203 or a 2210 with a boost. The dsl 100 sounds awesome with a boost to so do some jcm 900 heads to

V-man

Reaction score
My impression of ENGL Fireball (from those in the market) was that they were very good amps that sounded better than"X", but didn't quite get you there. This made me wonder then why people bothered spending all that $ for "not quite there", but I digress.

The obvious choice as mentioned is the KK. Another route is to buy BOTH a DSL and a JCM 900 (2100 -SLX or MkIII depending on taste). The 2 together are in the ballpark of the one KK and you have classic 2203 w. gain type-voicing and modern as.well.

mrrstrat

Reaction score
You came to the right place to talk Marshalls: people here eat, sleep, and s**t Marshall.

The Engl amps are on-trick-ponys. And if you dont use that one trick all the time, then they are useless to you.

The heaviest player I know does not use Marshall: he uses the Peavey 6505+. But he tunes down to a B and never uses clean tone.

I think there is a Marshall out there for you, and everyone of the amps referred here will work for you - you may have to drive them with a pedal to dial in the heavy you want.

Adrian R

Reaction score
2203 boosted with mxr zakk wylde overdrive or sd-1...... :headbanger:

Ahhh..you guys...The Zakk Wylde pedal and the SD1 are NOTHING compared to the Fulltone pedals...I know some on here like them..and that is cool...but I would have to estimate that those who like then never have tried a Fulltone OD pedal with their Marshall...as if they did they would NEVER go back to those aforementioned pedals..

A 2203, biased right with vintage tubes, Fulltone pedal...that IS the shit! I love my DSLs..they sound *close*, but a 2203 is in another league mid range wise..with respect to the DSL... The only reason I use the DSL instead is because in a two guitar player band it is AWESOME to have the red channel for a killer lead boost...

But seriously, the ZW pedal imo DOES boost nicely, but its noisy as hell...and the tone is harsher. The SD1 just doesn't have enough boost imo..but the Fulltones, I'm tellin' ya, seems as if it was DESIGNED for Marshall... I love my dual drive OD pedal...and I have tried almost all of them...

Adrian R

Reaction score
Tryed a jvm had to flubby of a base for me got over it quick. Thinking of keeping my engl it's to balls of a amp. For that scooped tone if you no what I mean. I'm looking for the zakk wylde tone. Thinking I need a 2203 or a 2210 with a boost. The dsl 100 sounds awesome with a boost to so do some jcm 900 heads to

Yeah dude, if u can, keep the Engl...it has a tone that the Marshall does not...no doubt... BUT if you want that famous Marshall voice only one thing will have it..and that is a MARSHALL...

Old school metal tone nearly demands it..the shit that I love...not much into the scooped stuff..but then I'm starting to get old, yes, I know it, but I am PROUD of my generation's musical heritage!!!

mrrstrat

Reaction score
Id have to disagree with this. The Fireball and maybe the Powerball are one trick ponies, but the Invader, Savage, Blackmore, and SE are pretty damn versatile

I guess thats true: the only two Engls I had expereince with are the Fireball and Powerball. I forgot about the Blackmore...

Redstone

Reaction score
What about a YJM100 lol? It's just basically a 1959 with an attenuator, boost pedal, noise gate and reverb built in. It is a great amp and I will always recommend that people take a look at it.

newbies

Reaction score
Ahhh..you guys...The Zakk Wylde pedal and the SD1 are NOTHING compared to the Fulltone pedals...I know some on here like them..and that is cool...but I would have to estimate that those who like then never have tried a Fulltone OD pedal with their Marshall...as if they did they would NEVER go back to those aforementioned pedals..

A 2203, biased right with vintage tubes, Fulltone pedal...that IS the shit! I love my DSLs..they sound *close*, but a 2203 is in another league mid range wise..with respect to the DSL... The only reason I use the DSL instead is because in a two guitar player band it is AWESOME to have the red channel for a killer lead boost...

But seriously, the ZW pedal imo DOES boost nicely, but its noisy as hell...and the tone is harsher. The SD1 just doesn't have enough boost imo..but the Fulltones, I'm tellin' ya, seems as if it was DESIGNED for Marshall... I love my dual drive OD pedal...and I have tried almost all of them...

Agreed the ZW pedal is noisy as hell - definitely a noise gate is needed to tame it!! It is harsh too but I dig it, its a good change from the sd1 when you want to go get some ball crushing riffage going. Will checkout out full tones stuff, think there is a place in the city that stocks them - not always the easiest to get hands on stuff in Aus. I am pretty sure when my OFA sd-1 gets in my hands I won't need anything else!!

SuperBeaver

Reaction score

Yea, I've been using an original Fulltone Fat Boost lately. It's awesome. Doesn't change your tone, just gives you more of what you've got.

gjohnson

Reaction score
I say keep the engl , get a Marshall 2203/4 and run them in stereo. You get the best of both worlds.

jd267

Reaction score
sold the engl... the framus cobra i got sucked ass tryed for a week to get a tone i liked and could not!!! .. so went back to a duel rec boosted with a maxon od808 and could not be happier :headbanger:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
sold the engl... the framus cobra i got sucked ass tryed for a week to get a tone i liked and could not!!! .. so went back to a duel rec boosted with a maxon od808 and could not be happier :headbanger:

Diesect is going to rip you a new one... :wow:

Heritage Softail

Reaction score
I have had a few other amps before getting a Marshall.

I have a Twin Jet, Bogner, with the purple mod from Tone Merchants. It has the first channel set to be like a boosted 800. The higher gain channel is the epic Uberschall tone. To grind out some fat nasties, the uber is hard to beat. Just a matter of what you like. I like to crank out some Manson Beautiful People every once in a while. Wet / Dry slaved out into the DSL, just epic.

That is one choice.

The other amp is a Mesa MKIV or MKIII. They have the mean edge and boost well. I have a MKIIC, it is technically lower gain than some newer amps, but has such a cut and grind it works wel. MKIII is cheap and cutting machine.

The DSL100 is my first Marshall. Gotta say I love this amp. I got it used and it had SED winged C EL34 power tubes. I put in an Ei 12ax7 in V1, Penta in V2, and it sounds awesome. And so cheap on the used maker now! It loves the Fulltone OCD. I am using a LP and TAG Pro Am guitars with moderately hot pups, nothing crazy.

Lastly, 5153 is pretty good. The OCD hits ch 1 or 2 pretty good.

All in all, I like having the Marshall tone in the stable. It is a good amp. The DSL is cheap and a good pedal slut, and could be a killer wet dry amp to go with the beast you already have.

Good luck on the tone quest.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Noisey pedal? = high impedence!............. definition? = low impedence! ..............OCD? = micro amp, high impedence with 6 lug switch!............. amp has more gain? = gain circuit inbuilt into amp!............... you want more bass? = turn the treble and mids off! .............Blackmore went to ENGL = cleans sounded better at low volume!..........there is ONLY bass, mids, trebles and gain (input is multiplied to give a larger output!) ( the 'break up' is comming from the speakers!) learn the Basics NOT THE NAME of the product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then you know how to turn what you have into what you want!!!!!!!!