Love My Dsl40c, But...

• Thread starter CraigP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CraigP

Reaction score
I cannot crank it above 1 or 1.5 without rattling the walls. Any good, inexpensive sound dampeners I can use on the walls so the neighbors don't think Angus lives here??

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeebus the amp doesn't come alive till you hit 3...

My Weber mass 200 kicks ass for attenuation. Try one. Way more inexpensive than other offerings. Works fine. Split hairs with more expensive boxes and you might jus be wasting money over split hairs at best. Makes me wonder if some of these guys even play. I do.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Both of them just let you turn the amp up to the sweet spot and then turn the volume down afterwards.. which is what you're looking for. You probably already know that tube amps sound best when the power tubes are pushed hard enough that they start to smooth out the signal and get that juicy sound everybody wants.. attenuators give you that. But some of them really color the sound all the time, and all of them sound like shit when you get it down to super duper quiet volume. But honestly the weber mass is a really economical option and sounds every bit as good as anything else out there, and if all you ever want to do is take it down 2-3 notches on the master volume then you will never run into tone suck unless you pick an attenuator that sucks it all the time.

tonejunkie99

Reaction score
:agreed:Did you use the words (good and inexpensive) in the same sentence?

It sounds like your interested in wall treatments ---- you may consider building your own sound traps, this is the method I have used in every music room and studio I have ever treated -- DIY

In addition, There are also some silent recording options that are relatively in expensive, but you will need a preamp and headphone amplifier to make good use of these Items...
I have a Palmer PDI-03 for sale on the bulletin board right now, but their primary market is aimed at going direct into PA or silent recording...
The is a company that makes a small isolation cabinet called AxeTrak. I have seen them on eBay pretty cheap, but it's for recording also.

I personally don't care for the tone of ppimv mods or attenuators, may as well be using a pod imop... :thumb:

Last edited:

CraigP

Reaction score
:agreed:Did you use the words (good and inexpensive) in the same sentence?

It sounds like your interested in wall treatments ---- you may consider building your own sound traps, this is the method I have used in every music room and studio I have ever treated -- DIY

In addition, There are also some silent recording options that are relatively in expensive, but you will need a preamp and headphone amplifier to make good use of these Items...
I have a Palmer PDI-03 for sale on the bulletin board right now, but their primary market is aimed at going direct into PA or silent recording...
The is a company that makes a small isolation cabinet called AxeTrak. I have seen them on eBay pretty cheap, but it's for recording also.

I personally don't care for the tone of ppimv mods or attenuators, may as well be using a pod imop... :thumb:

Interesting. Had not thought of making "decorative" panels. That could be the ticket.

sinner 13

Reaction score
WEBER, best attenuation bang for the buck going.
Live resistance via speaker motor NOT resistive attenuation(TONE SUCK).
plug and play effortless use, as it works with any resistance set up 4/8/16 Ohms? don't matter.

jeffb

Reaction score
I absolutely hated my MassLite (new version). Returned it within a week. Tone suck even at minimal attenuation, and wonky feel.

I have a SPL reducer right now. Still changes the tone/feel a bit but it's exponentially better than the Mass Lite ( it's also 2x as much $). Not sure I will keep it as I just don't care for how attenuation affects tone even when minimal. I prefer a lower watt amp that can push the power section and speakers naturally.

Garrett

Reaction score
I have a MassLite laying around as well. The more you try to attenuate, the more tone loss becomes evident.

Not saying you can't get a decent tone, but it changes the amps voicing to my ears.

I use a 50 watt JTM clone as a pedal platform using OD pedals to help push the pre-amp at lower volumes.

I've played a DSL40 at GC and thought the amp did a fairly good job at lower volume.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
This is the vid that sold me on the mass.. by the time you hear anything missing it's ridiculously quiet in the room and it's really just some sustain that's not there cause you need volume for feedback.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the DSL has a preamp circuit designed to pull gain from the preamp tubes. In that sense you are not going to benefit much from an attenuator. A DSL circuit is a lot different than pulling the gain from a plexi or other NMV circuit. It appears you want to play loud and feel the speakers so room treatment is definitely what you require. Yeah dampening can work to some degree but if you truly want to cut sound then build a room within a room to start. The sound treatment on the walls is more to your own benefit than it is towards isolating the entire room sound from neighbors.

Coronado

Reaction score
I've turned the walk-in closet in my recording room at home into an iso cabinet. Padded the walls, run the cables under the door and mic 2 different cabs. If you have a closet you can use, its nice because the sound is isolated and I can run my monitors and not have to wear headphones. I can tweak the amp and listen to my adjustments through the monitors. Of course, you need to have a closet in the room to do this. If I didn't have the closet to use, I would build/buy an iso cab so I can record with louder volumes.

Coronado

Reaction score
This is the vid that sold me on the mass.. by the time you hear anything missing it's ridiculously quiet in the room and it's really just some sustain that's not there cause you need volume for feedback.

I've been wanting to give this a try. I bought the Rock Crusher and it was okay, but I have heard the mass is a great attenuator. :yesway:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Just wondering why you guys are using the Weber Mass 200 for a 40 watt amp?
Weber Mass 50 is less expensive and made for 50 watt amps.
Thanks
BP