Making my tone bigger?

• Thread starter Goosey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Goosey. I just listened to the video you posted. I have been a bass player and lead/rhythm
Through the 80s and 90s. It is your bass player and the fact that the drummer is not miked up.

Bass player need to get rid of that compressed I am plugged straight into the board tone. It has no bounce and no ass end to it. He needs to change his tone baddddddd.

Drummer at least 3 mikes. 1 kick 1 over head and 1 on the snare and tom. whoops that is 4. That will make a huge difference.

Yours is fine.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Throw a slight delay into your signal path for lead work and get your bassist a little bit of 'gruff!

Every power trio needs a little bit of bass breakup IMO.

trigmachine

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I went from a 2 guitar band to just me, yes the sound drops because your no longer playing a thick texture of chords. For your own sound a splash of delay will help, I'd get your bass player to change his bass line for your solo to add a subtle change to the sound.

diesel king

Reaction score
A buddy of mine double mic's his cab live. I haven't got a clue whether he uses different speakers but he has a mic on 2 speakers instead of just the usual 1. His band is the heaviest band i've ever heard and his live sound is so thick

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow you pointed out my two biggest influences :D I understand what you mean tho dude! I really do need to practice more. I try and put my heart and soul into my playing and feel every note but I end up doing faces sometimes and this being a school gig I had to resist. I've had my eye on a BBE Green Screamer for quite some time now so i'm thinking i'll finally purchase that and a delay pedal, any recommendations?

We played a gig once with my previous band (It was my brother my cousin and myself). We had a gig at my cousins school, and we got some dirty looks, and later on found out that the teachers there were all bitchy because they said we were on drugs. And NO, we were not even close to that. We were all sober as a preist on Sunday.

So.. be free, make those faces, who cares. If they think you're on drugs or drunk I think it makes it even better :lol:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Also a bit more on the rhythm section front, u were saying they get a bit bored playing Classic Rock so they stuff around doing fills during ur solo. Thats not a team effort. A band is a team and everyone should be out there to make the band sound their best. They need to stick to their roots and just play rhythm.

What I do to keep everyone interested, is in some songs I give the drummer a drum solo for 2 or 4 bars and this gives the bassist also an opportunity to break the monotony. While they are doing their thing myself and the rhythm guitarist and just playing riffs to keep the song going.

Then once they come back into the rhythm ill do my solo.
Now I understand this is easier to do for us as we write our own songs but u could incorporate it into a few of your covers. The audience won't care as long as its not every song.

Cheers Goose

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Just a test, because this is a 2 guitar song. Have your band jam a really simple 3 piece song and see how it feels.

Jam like, Sunshine of Your Love.

See if it feels full jamming that.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
true that. two guitars is where its at man.

ive done both, and honestly, i enjoy being the only guitar much less than playing with someone.

thats actually where im at right now. my guitar player, who is great, has switched to bass b/c weve had such a hard time finding a great bass player.

im not diggin it to be honest. never really have dug being the only guitar. mostly for the exact reason this thread exists. the dropouts, and theres just so much more you can do with two players working together for the best sonic outcome.

textures...

Marshallmaniac

Reaction score
On another note, I have been the sole guitarist in a rock cover band for the past 3 years and I must say, I enjoy it much more than playing with another guitarist. It is physically more challenging and I make the guitar sound how I want it. And I think I do a good job of it. There are many great bands with only one guitar player. Take Sabbath for eg.. You don't miss his doubled solos live.

fwiw, In all the years of playing like this, we've never had one punter mention a second guitar player, just good stuff. So I take it we're not missing anything ;)

Man, I remember seeing a duo with a drummer, and a singer guitar player. No bass. No 2nd guitarist and I did not even miss the BASS, let alone the 2ng guitar player. This dude had a full stack and a cranked 50w top and the sound was brilliant. I still tell this story from time to time because I still can't believe I didn't miss the bass. Sounded about as full as I've ever heard.

sccloser

Reaction score
Goosey. I just listened to the video you posted. I have been a bass player and lead/rhythm
Through the 80s and 90s. It is your bass player and the fact that the drummer is not miked up.

Bass player need to get rid of that compressed I am plugged straight into the board tone. It has no bounce and no ass end to it. He needs to change his tone baddddddd.

Drummer at least 3 mikes. 1 kick 1 over head and 1 on the snare and tom. whoops that is 4. That will make a huge difference.

Yours is fine.

I tend to agree with this. I am not trying to be critical, but only trying to offer you the best advice. I think your tone sounded pretty good and you did not sound. The bass player needs to carry that song while you play lead. He has to do it because there is not another guitar.
For 15 you guys are doing great!

yladrd61

Reaction score
Just get a tube screamer and kick it on and use both pickups when you go to solo to give it more bottom ;)

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
OR just check your ego and get another guitarist. Once I agreed to this I was blown away by the attack/power of two guitars.

I can't play with two guitars, doesen't have anything to do with my ego, for some reason I don't get inspired as much as I get in a trio. I improvise my solos. I love playing with a keyboard or organ player though.
For some reason I also prefer the 'raw' sound of just one guitarist.

It isn't impossible to gat a big sound with one guitarist BTW. I was pretty impressed by how huge bonamassa sounded live.

Goosey

Reaction score
We do some originals too and I have suggested that Lucas (drummer) gets a bit of a solo be he doesnt really want too. I have suggested a 2nd guitarist too but no one else will let me find someone but the singer is a great rhythm player so I might push him to bring it out for a few songs and with the bass player... he's stubborn, I won't be able to make him change his tone or anything but i'll figure it out, cheers for all the feedback! Here's 2 originals, the levels are a bit shite because only vocals (and acoustic for Nobody Home) are coming through the PA and everything else is cranked. I must say, it sounds a lot better in She Bites on terms of fullness!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJX7piDCReM&feature=channel_video_title]Roses for the Damned - She Bites (original) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGBlvcClt4&feature=relmfu]Roses for the Damned - Nobody Home (Original) - YouTube[/ame]

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Hey man, I'm a little bit older than you guys but shit I wish I lived near you, I'd join your band haha. Nobody around me plays shit, I have a whole TSL halfstack in my apartment for basically no reason whatsoever. Can't wait to graduate from college and get to a real city.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for your delay pedal.. I got a TC Electronics Nova Repeater at musicians friend a bit ago at a huge discount and free shipping. Not sure if the discount is still running, but I leave it in my TSL's loop pretty much all the time and it sounds fantastic. It has lots of cool modes too, plus stereo and various other pro-level abilities. It is digital though, not sure if that's a big deal to you but I don't even notice a difference. It does a great job with the analog and tape modes, plus it has vibrato and chorus built in on the repeats that you can adjust and it sounds REALLY good. I record with it running as well.