Marshall 1931 1x12 cab - buzz

• Thread starter guitarman555
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarman555

Reaction score
Hi, my 2 cabs (1x12) buzz when I put them through Marshall PA 20. Both are equipped with 1xG12 H - T 1217 from 1972.
The cabs are
Marshall 1931 A - original cab in good condition, from cca 1990
Marshall 1931 copy

Both of them have buzz when the volume on Marshall PA 20 is around half way and higher. Anybody has an idea how to solve it? Or can it be the speaker (speakers looks in great condition for their age, almost intact)....?

Last edited:

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
You might have to do a bit of sleuthing, ie try the cabs with a different head and then try the head with a different cab, it could be the hardware on the cabs (ie handles or bolts) it could even be something vibrating on the head(if the head is on top of the cabs) maybe try playing with the head on the floor away from the cabs?

worst case scenario their is debris or dust/rust in the speaker voice coils, or their is an issue with the head. I would do the above first to see if you can narrow down what the issue is.

does it only happen at high volumes?

Let me know how you get on

guitarman555

Reaction score
You might have to do a bit of sleuthing, ie try the cabs with a different head and then try the head with a different cab, it could be the hardware on the cabs (ie handles or bolts) it could even be something vibrating on the head(if the head is on top of the cabs) maybe try playing with the head on the floor away from the cabs?

worst case scenario their is debris or dust/rust in the speaker voice coils, or their is an issue with the head. I would do the above first to see if you can narrow down what the issue is.

does it only happen at high volumes?

Let me know how you get on
Buzz happens only in high volumes, halfway volume and up. So i can play quite loud even without vibration. But i need even louder sound for gigs. Btw if it will be live gig, nobody will hear vibration, the loudness of tone will cover it easily. Vibration is heard especially when i play the lower frequencies(bass e and a strings, in lower frets).

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Buzz happens only in high volumes, halfway volume and up. So i can play quite loud even without vibration. But i need even louder sound for gigs. Btw if it will be live gig, nobody will hear vibration, the loudness of tone will cover it easily. Vibration is heard especially when i play the lower frequencies(bass e and a strings, in lower frets).
It could be any number of things, you’ll have to try the head with a different cab and vice versa to rule out the speakers

guitarman555

Reaction score
It could be any number of things, you’ll have to try the head with a different cab and vice versa to rule out the speakers
Also, buzzcan be heard only when a long tone is dissapearing, you have feeling like the buzz is intensifying