marshall 1959 hw 2014 is dead

• Thread starter bobbyvasco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
There is a number, we’re just not telling you because we’re a bunch of trolling assholes that are stringing you along and trying to get you to blow up your amp.
come on but that trolling being mentioned each time I post here, it is getting old and ridiculous....wtf are some of you guys smoking... some people cant do without drama, it is like mexican telenovellas...some guys here need to create that kind of drama to get their life excited...

PelliX

Reaction score
come on but that trolling being mentioned each time I post here, it is getting old and ridiculous....

OK, I did literally spell it out this time, but you have to admit, you have a way of reading what you want to read instead of what was written and dodging key questions to put it very kindly :)

wtf are some of you guys smoking...

We're trolling, but you're insinuating that were a bunch of drug abusing pretend-techs who are keeping the magic info hidden away, all the while regularly getting electric shocks from our amps. Who's the troll now? :D

some people cant do without drama

...from the guy who must have posted 20 threads (and a fair number of duplicates) outlining how your gear is behaving and how crappy Marshall, Thomann et al are. In fact, you're the guy who posts videos of yourself on Youtube showing how someone rear-ended you. In *traffic*! Calm down guys... :rofl:

I mean no harm, man. I've tried to help you out on a number of occasions. This must however be a two-way street; help us to help you. Follow instructions, answer questions and generally don't suggest people have addiction problems - it seldom works in the way you intend it to. Peace.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
isnt the fuse when there is no sound? My amp still gives out sound but very quiet and with crackling

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do what you want, but I'd check the ht fuse. Even with no ht, I've heard tubes vibrate pretty loudly inside the amp with no speaker output.

And the 2205/2210 does actually only have 3 preamp tubes. A reverb driver, and a phase inverter. 5 12ax7's, but only 3 preamp tubes technically.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
before each time i turned it on it was making cracks in sound before it warmed up for like 2 or 3 minutes while you play.
Now it is dead, muffled sound going out and in with like 10 % original volume power

I replaced 3 preamp small tubes with JJ tubes
and the sound is not fixed....i thought one of the small tubes was responsible for this.
There are only 3 I thought there were 5 like in jcm 800.

i am afraid to change big tubes, I dont know where to set bias? And they are paired arent they?
You can pull the 2 outer power tubes turn it on for a minute and see if the problem is gone. If not gone put them back in and pull the inner pair and test again. Hopefully it will work one way or the other so you'll at least have isolated the problem. Then juggle some tubes to figure out which single tube is bad. Ultimately you'll need a quad of power tubes if it turns out to be a bad power tube. I run my 1959 with 2 pairs of power tubes that are not close to each other, so I put one high and low on one side and one high and low on the other side.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
so why
Do what you want, but I'd check the ht fuse. Even with no ht, I've heard tubes vibrate pretty loudly inside the amp with no speaker output.

And the 2205/2210 does actually only have 3 preamp tubes. A reverb driver, and a phase inverter. 5 12ax7's, but only 3 preamp tubes technically.
5 preamps then just for fun?

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
i did
You can pull the 2 outer power tubes turn it on for a minute and see if the problem is gone. If not gone put them back in and pull the inner pair and test again. Hopefully it will work one way or the other so you'll at least have isolated the problem. Then juggle some tubes to figure out which single tube is bad. Ultimately you'll need a quad of power tubes if it turns out to be a bad power tube. I run my 1959 with 2 pairs of power tubes that are not close to each other, so I put one high and low on one side and one high and low on the other side.
i did that in the video above, u did not watch it?

LyseFar

Reaction score
If you really want to get technical on the 2210 it is not quite as simple as you describe - more like 2,5 preamp tube if we are following your logic:
Normal Channel: V1A, V2A and V2B
Boost Channel: V1A, V1B and V3A
tonestack/reverb V3B and V4B
Effects Return and reverb recovery: V4A
Phase Inverter: V5

And in a 2203 there is 1,5 preamp tube if you equal gain stages with preamp tubes….so

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. Whatever, And I believe the function of v4 is year dependent. but still, technically not 5 tubes in the preamp. Don't care to argue about it.

TheKman76

Reaction score
If you've eliminated valves as the cause I suspect a failed resistor or capacitor. I realise that covers 90% of the actual individual components and might sound meaningless.

Do you have any confidence reading a schematic and probing components with a multi-meter? Reading resistor bands and capacitor marking, etc.? Of course, if you've no soldering tools or skills this might be a little pointless.

Resistors typically either drift to higher resistance (depending on the type) or fail open circuit, so a failed open resistor in, for example, the cathode follower will mess with the sound wildly because the tone stack is the only load on the cathode follower. Capacitors can fail short-circuit and can also leak DC current, so a faulty cap in the cathode bypass of a gain stage will mess with tone and bias of the valve.

If you're not confident then a professional is a wise choice.

Last edited:

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
If you've eliminated valves as the cause I suspect a failed resistor or capacitor. I realise that covers 90% of the actual individual components and might sound meaningless.

Do you have any confidence reading a schematic and probing components with a multi-meter? Reading resistor bands and capacitor marking, etc.? Of course, if you've no soldering tools or skills this might be a little pointless.

Resistors typically either drift to higher resistance (depending on the type) or fail open circuit, so a failed open resistor in, for example, the cathode follower will mess with the sound wildly because the tone stack is the only load on the cathode follower. Capacitors can fail short-circuit and can also leak DC current, so a faulty cap in the cathode bypass of a gain stage will mess with tone and bias of the valve.

If you're not confident that a professional is a wise choice.
i can barely solder and read with multimeter, a road to disaster

LyseFar

Reaction score
Don't care to argue about it.
Absolutely agree. It was not the intention to argue. Somebody just said that a “JCM800” doesen’t have 5 preamp valves/tubes. At first a JCM800 is not only the 2203/4 it is a range (1987, 1959, 2203/4, 2205/10)
Secondly I am sure that everyone knew what was meant by “5 preamp tubes” (12ax7s). If everything in this forum should be discussed with the exact technically correct definitions in mind, I would guess we could delete at least half of all posts..
So when I mentioned that the poster of this thread was right about the 5 preamp tubes I was schooled and thought … oh they want to be precise - so I was precise - and corrected the inaccurate information.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. It was not the intention to argue. Somebody just said that a “JCM800” doesen’t have 5 preamp valves/tubes. At first a JCM800 is not only the 2203/4 it is a range (1987, 1959, 2203/4, 2205/10)
Secondly I am sure that everyone knew what was meant by “5 preamp tubes” (12ax7s). If everything in this forum should be discussed with the exact technically correct definitions in mind, I would guess we could delete at least half of all posts..
So when I mentioned that the poster of this thread was right about the 5 preamp tubes I was schooled and thought … oh they want to be precise - so I was precise - and corrected the inaccurate information.
Read some of the op's previous threads. My post was directed at him with a hint of Sarcasm intended.:D

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Read some of the op's previous threads. My post was directed at him with a hint of Sarcasm intended.:D
so basically your statement is you have been electrocuted many times that is why you cant give respectful answers to people and are paranoid everybody is a troll same as pelix?

Latest posts