Marshall 1959 HW bad warranty issue

• Thread starter Alexmi970
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alexmi970

Reaction score
I am new in this forum, and I want to thanks to everybody will just read this post.

One year ago I bought a Marshall 1959 HW, and a month ago, while I was playing, the 1A fuse blew and I saw one tube no longer worked.

I live in Italy and the seller is from German.

We all know well that happens often defective tubes stop working. So what's the best decision I could have made at that time? To do a simple and quick test by replacing the tube with a new one to see if everything worked fine to be sure was no problem with with the 1959. Of course I would then set up a quartet and adjust the bias. But immediately after having mounted the new tube, switched on the stand by, the 1A fuse blew again.

I didn't do anything else... if a light bulb goes out in your living room what do you do? Do you call the technician thinking that there is a problem with the electrical network of your apartment or do you simply try to do the simplest and fastest thing and that is to put in a new light bulb? The obvious thing is that if the new bulb blows, you understand that the problem is not with the bulb and so I call the technician.

So logically I did the same with the tube, swapping it out for a quick test to rule out the amp issue.

Or should I have sent the 1959 directly to the seller? I live in Italy and the seller is from Germany. No Italian importer wanted to repair my Marshall under warranty because I bought it abroad.

Logic tells me: try it to understand if it's an easy problem... I understood that the problem was with the amplifier, I contacted the seller, I described to him honestly what I had done (I thought it was a way to cooperate more with the technician who would have fixed it).

One month after shipping the amp to the seller, he asks me for 220 euros for the repair saying that he would not have used the warranty because I tried to repair it by myself.

Is this behavior normal? Was I wrong? Was I supposed to lie that I didn't take any tests? I'm a professional guitarist and time is money for me, and it doesn't seem logical to send the amp to Germany if I see a tube blowing out... I can't waste time, and if I can get the amp working by replacing the tube then it's better that way. If I then find that replacing the tube doesn't solve the problem, I reluctantly send the amp to Germany for repair.

I even wrote directly to Marshall who replied via the German importer saying: "I am sorry to hear your amp is not working properly. Please note that tubes are excluded from warranty. Like light bulbs, they can just give up. For a tube change we strongly recommend contacting an amp service nearby since tubes need to be “measured in”.

Is it a well focused on my problem answer?

If so, then in my opinion it is a very smart way for Marshall not to answer for his defective products. In order not to void the warranty, do I have to ship the amplifier even if a fuse blows? The amp stopped working while I was playing and not after I did the tube test.

What do you think? What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks so much

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Putting new valves/fuses in doesnt necessary qualify as "repair" just maintenance.

It doesnt void a warranty. If there is a technical
defect with the amp and you bought this amp
new from an official vendor you have a warranty
of 2 or 3 years by law in germany.

This usually excludes any shipping charges, and
if it needs new valves then you have to pay for the valves because they are "weary parts" like
a lightbulb or a brakepad with limited lifespan.

You shouldnt have to pay any bankfees if you
have warranty left.

Alexmi970

Reaction score
Putting new valves/fuses in doesnt necessary qualify as "repair" just maintenance.

It doesnt void a warranty. If there is a technical
defect with the amp and you bought this amp
new from an official vendor you have a warranty
of 2 or 3 years by law in germany.

This usually excludes any shipping charges, and
if it needs new valves then you have to pay for the valves because they are "weary parts" like
a lightbulb or a brakepad with limited lifespan.

You shouldnt have to pay any bankfees if you
have warranty left.
Thank you Tatzmann... is there any Marshall warranty policy pdf or document where can I read?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I am new in this forum, and I want to thanks to everybody will just read this post.

One year ago I bought a Marshall 1959 HW, and a month ago, while I was playing, the 1A fuse blew and I saw one tube no longer worked.

I live in Italy and the seller is from German.

We all know well that happens often defective tubes stop working. So what's the best decision I could have made at that time? Do a simple and quick test by replacing the tube with a new one to see if everything worked fine to be sure was no problem with with the 1959. Of course I would then set up a quartet and adjust the bias. But immediately after having mounted the new tube, switched on the stand by, the 1A fuse blew again.

I didn't do anything else... if a light bulb goes out in your living room what do you do? Do you call the technician thinking that there is a problem with the electrical network of your apartment or do you simply try to do the simplest and fastest thing and that is to put in a new light bulb? The obvious thing is that if the new bulb blows, you understand that the problem is not with the bulb and so I call the technician.

So logically I did the same with the tube, swapping it out for a quick test to rule out the amp issue.

Or should I have sent the 1959 directly to the seller? I live in Italy and the seller is from Germany. No Italian importer wanted to repair my Marshall under warranty because I bought it abroad.

Logic tells me: try it to understand if it's an easy problem... I understood that the problem was with the amplifier, I contacted the seller, I described to him honestly what I had done (I thought it was a way to cooperate more with the technician who would have fixed it).

One month after shipping the amp to the seller, he asks me for 275 euros for the repair saying that he would not have used the warranty because I tried to repair it by myself.

Is this behavior normal? Was I wrong? Was I supposed to lie that I didn't take any tests? I'm a professional guitarist and time is money for me, and it doesn't seem logical to send the amp to Germany if I see a tube blowing out... I can't waste time, and if I can get the amp working by replacing the tube then it's better that way. If I then find that replacing the tube doesn't solve the problem, I reluctantly send the amp to Germany for repair.

I even wrote directly to Marshall who replied via the German importer saying: "I am sorry to hear your amp is not working properly. Please note that tubes are excluded from warranty. Like light bulbs, they can just give up. For a tube change we strongly recommend contacting an amp service nearby since tubes need to be “measured in”.

Is it a well focused on my problem answer?

If so, then in my opinion it is a very smart way for Marshall not to answer for his defective products. In order not to void the warranty, do I have to ship the amplifier even if a fuse blows? The amp stopped working while I was playing and not after I did the tube test.

What do you think? What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks so much
What did they actually fix?

Alexmi970

Reaction score
Amp is still in Germany from more than 1 month. They push I pay... for me is ridiculous and illogical. I live in Italy and amp is in German.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I can see both sides. If you open up the amp and fiddle around inside, as you would have to do to adjust the bias, I can see where that might void the warranty. Yes, replacing tubes is part of routine maintenance, but if an amp is under warranty, the manufacturer would want that to be performed by a qualified Marshall tech, especially if a fuse was blown. When a tube fails, it can take out other components, aside from the fuse, and that would need to be replaced before installing new tubes and powering the amp up. It's the same as a new vehicle, they don't want the vehicle owner trying to do repairs on the vehicle while it's under warranty. You could always contact Marshall and explain the situation, but it's probably not going to change anything.

Last edited:

Alexmi970

Reaction score
I can see both sides. If you open up the amp and fiddle around inside, as you would have to do to adjust the bias, I can see where that might void the warranty. Yes, replacing tubes is part of routine maintenance, but if an amp is under warranty, the manufacturer would want that to be performed by a qualified Marshall tech, especially if a fuse was blown. When a tube fails, it can take out other components that would need to be replaced, before installing new tubes and powering the amp up. It's the same as a new vehicle being under warranty, they don't want the vehicle owner trying to do repairs on the vehicle.

But I didn't make any bias setting... I only fast swapped new tube, switched on stand by, heard strange tone from amp, blew 1A fuse again (but new tube was fine) switched off and understood was amp issue. So I putted back original tube and didn't make anything else. Seller can't say I broke amp. What would you have done in my place? Would you have hoped for a valve defect or would you have immediately sent the amplifier to the foreign seller?

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tubes are not covered under warranty, it says that in the terms of the warranty for every Marshall that has tubes in it .

I think The guy erred in the reason the claim was denied..truth is tubes aren't covered.

Alexmi970

Reaction score
Tubes are not covered under warranty, it says that in the terms of the warranty for every Marshall that has tubes in it .

I think The guy erred in the reason the claim was denied..truth is tubes aren't covered.
I hoped I was clear with my claim.... I never spoken about warranty for tubes but warranty for not working 1959 HW

Alexmi970

Reaction score
But tubes were the issue no?
Maybe my not native English isn't clear.... What happened?

I was playing and amp stopped to work. First I saw 1A fuse blew, second I noticed one tube broke (no more switched on - no more light inside). So I was thinking to change fuse and tube. With new tube and new fuse, after switched on stand by, I heard a not usual tone and after few seconds fuse blew again, but tube was working. So I decided to not go on and stop. So: fuse blew 2 times, original tube broke, new tube no broke, bad tone of amp for me no tubes issue. But seller says it's my fault because I wanted to repair it by myself (swapping tube isn't a repair).

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right but marshall said warranty doesn't cover tubes, which it sounds like that was the problem

These amps have to be biased after a tube change. If you replaced the bad tube with a new tube that drew more current than the old one without concern for bias there is a possibility that the amp could blow the fuse again, and sound different

Alexmi970

Reaction score
Right but marshall said warranty doesn't cover tubes, which it sounds like that was the problem

These amps have to be biased after a tube change. If you replaced the bad tube with a new tube that drew more current than the old one without concern for bias there is a possibility that the amp could blow the fuse again, and sound different
I agree... but I didn't go on to play it... I just sent back to seller in Germany and after one month seller asked me 220 euro because I wanted to repair by myself. Maybe this seller isn't a technician and didn't tell me the reason about these money. I asked why? Maybe they are just changing tubes? And I should of course to pay tubes... I asked seller what happened but still didn't answered me... isn't so funny to be in this condition.

After your reply I am starting (and hoping) to think technician didn't find anything bad, and putted only new tubes... and seller told me only to pay. I am still waiting for what should I pay.... I hope only for new tubes and not because a new output transformer because I didn't do anything bad.

Last edited:

Seven

Reaction score
1. The fuse did it's job, twice. That means it protected the circuit downstream so likely no damage.

2. Swapping out tubes/valves won't likely cause any damage, as long as you don't hot socket the tube when swapping. Basically, if the amp is off when swapping tubes, there shouldn't be any additional damage to the circuit.

3. There is something upstream of the fuse causing it to blow, which is the main issue. Failing tubes rarely cause a fuse to blow, but if the tube shorts internally, it could blow the fuse.

4. Importing something as expensive as a Marshall head is probably not advisable. Considering how the UK and surrounding countries are all kind of on top of each other, maybe a nice day trip or overnight excursion would be a better method to purchasing an amp.

5. If the repair shop in Germany is an authorized warranty/dealer and is giving you the run around, I would first contact Marshall and make a complaint. If that doesn't resolve anything, you may need to find a legal representative to write a letter to the repair shop. This could enflame the situation, so make sure this is something you want to embark upon. The legal pressure from one country to another is usually minimal, so maybe just call the place in Germany and ask to speak to someone in charge, preferably the owner. Ask for a status update and ultimately an estimated completion date. Confirm repair costs as well. If they are legit, it could just be a lazy repair tech and the person in charge not even being aware of the problem. Communication usually resolves most business situations.

Good luck in resolving this !

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Marshall Service Representative in Italy?

Here in the States we have a company called US Music Corp, they are the main Marshall distributor/factory warranty service center in the United States.

They have a great reputation for service and take good care with their customers. I’m wondering if Italy has something similar?

Maybe you could contact them anyway and tell them exactly what happened. Maybe they can point you in the right direction, (in Europe), to get the amps warranty to cover it.

It’s worth checking into.

The contact person at US Music Corp, is Kevin Drury, 1649 BARCLAY BLVD. BUFFALO GROVE IL. 60089.

I don’t have a phone number, but the email address is,…

marshall.service@USMusicCorp.com

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Alexmi970

Reaction score
@JamminJeff and @scozz

I want really understand if amp broke or simply tubes issue... I am still waiting for answer of seller.

If seller will tell me that 220 will be for repair and not for tubes, for sure I will ask to send 1959 back home. I have good service here. I never imagined to get this kind of issue with an amp.... I have Mesa, Fender, Vox and the last was Marshall 1959 HW.... my second amp in my life was JCM 800 2210 + 1982 cab.... I was 16 years old lucky boy ))))

I learn lesson about warranty service.... most depend even on how seller is important... let's say this shop isn't the most renowned in Germany

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
But I didn't make any bias setting... I only fast swapped new tube, switched on stand by, heard strange tone from amp, blew 1A fuse again (but new tube was fine) switched off and understood was amp issue. So I putted back original tube and didn't make anything else. Seller can't say I broke amp. What would you have done in my place? Would you have hoped for a valve defect or would you have immediately sent the amplifier to the foreign seller?
Sorry, I misread your post, I see now that you stated you "would then set up a quartet and adjust the bias", but you hadn't actually done that. Don't know what to tell you, never been in your position.

Last edited: