Marshall 1987x Reissue 50 Watt through 50 Watt 2x12 cab??

murphy_5150

Reaction score
Im guessing I probably can’t crank my 50 watt 1987 reissue through my 2x12 with greenbacks correct? Ive heard the speakers will most likely blow.

murphy_5150

Reaction score
Probably not a good idea.
Get a pair of creambacks and crank away...
whats the worst that could happen? blown speaker? blown amp? i love greenbacks so much, but really dont want to purchase a 4x12. im unfortunately not a huge fan of the creambacks…ugh

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
The easiest solution would be an attenuator. You just need to knock a few dB off to keep the amp in a safer range for the GBs.

A -3db attenuation for example, would be enough to take the stress off the speakers and that is something most attenuators can do without a negative impact on the tone.

It's when you try to bring an amp to bedroom volume that they start to suck.

A PPIMV would be another option.

I use a combination of PPIMV and attenuator with my 1987x and I'm able to get great tones at manageable levels by combining the 2.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
whats the worst that could happen? blown speaker? blown amp? i love greenbacks so much, but really dont want to purchase a 4x12. im unfortunately not a huge fan of the creambacks…ugh
As mentioned, an attenuator, or speakers with a higher power rating are needed. If you're in love with the Greenback sound, maybe replace the 25w Greenback's with something like a Scumback M65.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
you think it will be okay?
What everyone else is saying, a 1987x blasting through two 25 watt speaker would probably be too much unless it is attenuated. Either that or buy two new speakers totaling at least 100 watts. An good attenuator would probably cost more than two G12t75's.

But, the worst that could happen would be that probably the speakers would blow.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
so you think it will be okay to run my amp through my cab?
A 50 watt amp clean and only 50 watts of speakers (2x25 watts). I imagine that your speakers would hold if you didn’t crank that amp.

Note that my 1987x was running a 130 watt cab. A big wattage difference between yours and mine.

I do believe that the Celestion Greenbacks maybe slightly underrated wattage wise.

I owned two Marshall 1962HW Bluesbreakers that were only rated 30 watts clean. These 30 watt Bluesbreakers seemed as loud (or louder) than any 50 watt Marshall amp that I’ve owned, and they came stock with two 25 watt Greenbacks.

Still, I don’t think that I would ever dime your amp with your current speaker setup.

murphy_5150

Reaction score
The easiest solution would be an attenuator. You just need to knock a few dB off to keep the amp in a safer range for the GBs.

A -3db attenuation for example, would be enough to take the stress off the speakers and that is something most attenuators can do without a negative impact on the tone.

It's when you try to bring an amp to bedroom volume that they start to suck.

A PPIMV would be another option.

I use a combination of PPIMV and attenuator with my 1987x and I'm able to get great tones at manageable levels by combining the 2.
I have one of those Bugera power “toan” soaks. Would that be sufficient to run my amp with a cranked volume with my cab? Thanks!

murphy_5150

Reaction score
What everyone else is saying, a 1987x blasting through two 25 watt speaker would probably be too much unless it is attenuated. Either that or buy two new speakers totaling at least 100 watts. An good attenuator would probably cost more than two G12t75's.

But, the worst that could happen would be that probably the speakers would blow.
Ive got a Bugera power soak. How much attenuation would be required? I obviously like the toan of a cranked plexi….can i crank my amp to like 7:30ish and just use the power soak to tame it down? How much would i need to tame it?

murphy_5150

Reaction score
I have one of those Bugera power “toan” soaks. Would that be sufficient to run my amp with a cranked volume with my cab? I just don’t know how much to attenuate…I want to run the amp around 7:30 ish -8. I don’t know what a safe amount of attenuation I would need to do. Thanks! Basically if i run my amp at 8 out of 10 how much would i need to attenuate?

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
I have one of those Bugera power “toan” soaks. Would that be sufficient to run my amp with a cranked volume with my cab? Thanks!
Sure, it would. Set it at around 50-60% on the dial and you're good to go... maybe even a bit higher.

Just don't try to squeeze it down to bedroom levels, that just ruins the tone. But to take it a few dB s off to keep your cab safe, that works just fine.

Last edited:

murphy_5150

Reaction score
thank you!
Sure, it would. Set it at around 50-60% on the dial and you're good to go... maybe even a bit higher.

Just don't try to squeeze it down to bedroom levels, that just ruins the tone. But to take it a few dB s off to keep your cab safe, that works just fine.