• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall 2203X?

• Thread starter pwrmac7600
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Ok so I have read up on all the differences between the vintage marshall JCM 800 2203 amps. So If I am to go vintage I know what years I am shooting for.
But now I have a questions about the reissue 2203X.
Are there good years and bad years of the reissue 2203X?
I read around and it seems as though the 2203X is a pretty good reissue.
I know they went back to 6 filter caps, I know that the resistors and caps on the board itself, aren't the same as the vintage JCM 2203's, but do they all have PCB mounted pots and jacks? or are there variations between different year reissues.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And please don't flame me for asking about reissues, the only reason I am asking is because I have found a few at good prices, and would like to know if there are better reissue years than others for the 2203X.
Thanks!

dptone5

Reaction score
My 2203X is a fantastic amp. 2004 I believe. Never heard that there were differences in any model years.

DP

pwrmac7600

Reaction score
My 2203X is a fantastic amp. 2004 I believe. Never heard that there were differences in any model years.

DP

Yeah, I don't know that there are, but I figured there may be since there are variations of the originals, and them being mass produced and all.

dslman

Reaction score
I had the original JMP 2203 and the 2203x, watch out for the large black electrolytic's I think they are Ruby's ,I have read tech blogs that say they have repaired quite a few 2203x due to these defective caps . They say that there was a bad "batch" not sure how many or what years,I believe mine was a 07 and it had two defective caps and I replaced them myself. By defective I mean bulging,and I know this could be caused by surges ,but just thought it was worth mentioning. I received the amp in that condition.
Also the 2203x are know to have a popping sound when put on standby,some do, some don't--mine did.
Sound wise they are decent,not as good as the originals ,85-90%as good if that helps.but built a lot like them with some big iron inside. The fx loop is nice and sounded good.

Lot's of guys do the bright cap mod,I went full circle and tried diff. values and then went back to stock 1000pf.
It is a fantastic one channel amp - one channel.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
had both at the same time and i think marshall did a very accurate reissue. that said i think the main difference in tone is the reissue lives in the upper mids (also a little brighter mybe) whereas the vintage has that lower mid tone..tubes can cure 90% of that too. but there are some differences in tone.

dptone5

Reaction score
Mine pops going on Stand-By 50% of the time.....never been a problem, but weird...

DP

dreyn77

Reaction score
so you've read up on the differences. I guess that means you've never owned one before.
so you know all about the playing features and the sound and the electrical signal type.

what sort of speakers are you going to use?

I'd recon you knew all about the non loop/loop situation.

Oh WAIT! hang on a minute! If you knew about loops, you'dve answered your own question! ah ha! you aren't the expert you claim to be!

the saga continues....

Masliko

Reaction score

DP
There's not .Its just gear geek talk IMO.The reissues i heard sounded great,i dont have one though, i have a MKIII which ROCKs!

Latest posts