• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall 30th Anniversary Series thread (6100 / 6101)

• Thread starter Tonton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
And i bet none of you Fvckers have one of these ....

hot-tubes-70-albums-misc-picture7895-dsc01462.jpg

hot-tubes-70-albums-misc-picture7896-dsc01463.jpg

Marshall 30th Anniversary winter jacket !!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
All new owners of 6100's...welcome to the dark side!

I noted the bulky thread was deleted.
So let's start from here again and show your beautiful 6100's.
A central thread to share tips, settings and mods and discuss about the best Marshall ever made!

My-Amps-Promo-11---site_zpsbd8255d9.jpg
There is a reason that the "bulky thread" got deleted-it was filled with ridiculous bullshit.

Granted, it started off with a good focus, but then it quickly became filled with bullshit posts. People started treating that thread like it was their little corner of the forum (even one of the mods criticized not only the size, but the irrelevant content and the arrogant attitudes that persisted by a lot of the fool in that thread. The author of that ridiculous thread got banned partly for issues pertaining to his thread.

From memory, most of the same fools that frequently posted in that thread are also appearing in this one now, so I expect that this thread will also become ridiculously irrelevant after a few weeks.

I love the 6100LE and LM and all the models issued, both heads, combos, and cabs. I love seeing the most of the pictures posted in the old thread as well as the ones posted here so far. It was also interesting reading about the circuit and all the little setups people were using in the old thread.

While I don't agree with the OP statement that any 6100 amp is "the best Marshall ever made," they are most certainly in my top 5 best Marshall amp list, and in my top 10 best amp EVER list. I love them because I have played them many times in the past (though I never owned one, admittedly) and love the sound tremendously (as well as the features).

I don't think I'll post in here again, but that's because I kinda sense this thread will go to shit soon. But hey, it's not "my" thread, so do what you all will with it.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
"From memory, most of the same fools that frequently posted in that thread are also appearing in this one now, so I expect that this thread will also become ridiculously irrelevant after a few weeks. "

Quote by Monstersofthemidway

I take particular offence to being called a fool !! :pissed:
If you don't like this thread or any other on this forum ..... Don't stop on that thread !!! pft !!!

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
It MAY become irrelevant at some point much like many of the threads here that digress quickly but for now, I appreciate the pre tube recommendation to spice up channel 3. The old thread was a hundred years old and had a million pages, pretty hard to find anything. Will see where it goes, as long as us 6100 fans enjoy it, what's the dif?

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I can't deny that the old 6100 thread got way off the beaten path at times , but to call everyone who posted on that thread on a regular basis a bunch " Fools " is way out of line !!!!!!

Back to regular Programming !!

On my hit list for heads in the Future are a JCM900SLX and a EL34 6100 like this one below ...

hot-tubes-70-albums-amps-picture5282-marshall6100.jpg

dptone5

Reaction score
My 6100 (1994 - Black - EL34 version) is a monster and tone beast! As Harlequin Tusk said, Channel 2, "B" is really special!

I recently had 6 Marshall heads and I can honestly say, none were louder than the mighty 6100. Was louder than my 2203X, 1987XL and 2555.

With its amazing versatility, it's one Marshall I won't ever part ways with!

DP

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I used to read some of the hype on this amp and was not a believer. I played through a 6100 Blue half stack at Guitar Center way back in 2005, and was not impressed at all. But of course, this amp does have quite a bit of features and tweaks that need to be fiddled with a bit. I am sure that is partly to blame for me not digging it that day. Plus, who knows what the bias and valve condition was in that amp that day.

Fast forward to 2014, and I was fortunate to score a '94 6100 for very cheap. This is the 6L6/5881 no LM mod. The amp is a keeper for sure. Total night and day from what I experienced all those years ago in GC.

I am very curious to hear my amp against an LM version. Not really for the EL34's, as I dig the 6L6's in this amp. But of course I want to hear CH 3 with those LM specs. My CH 3 has plenty of gain and crunch with a very defined midrange voicing. It has a very sweet singing lead tone on CH 3 with the gain set at 4. So seeing the LM component changes makes me think it would change my CH 3 to where I would not like it as much. Add more low end and lose the tightness it has now.

Petri358

Reaction score
Anybody heard about Printz Amps Custom Mod for these 6100's?

Tonton

Reaction score
Wow lot of collectors here with dozen of amps
How you place the 6100 to the others soundwise?

Tsl dsl jcm800 jvm

For me also the 2B is special, both with strat (very hendrix) and les paul (very zeppelin)

Never heard much about this amp before i bought, only remember afterwards that as a youngster i was amazed by my local ampshop was suddenly full of blue amps that looked complicated :)

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:D HELL NO. I'm not losing another 5000 posts over an old Marshall that was MADE OBSOLETE, (Like all the other old Marshalls except for the KT66 ones), by the mighty JMD1.

You have to be crazy.

:lol::lol: TWIN

anitoli

Reaction score
:D HELL NO. I'm not losing another 5000 posts over an old Marshall that was MADE OBSOLETE, (Like all the other old Marshalls except for the KT66 ones), by the mighty JMD1.

You have to be crazy.

:lol::lol: TWIN

But the JMD1 is obsolete too.................:lol:

And it didnt stay in production as long........:D

Twin, you need a 6100.......:yesway:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Wow lot of collectors here with dozen of amps ��
How you place the 6100 to the others soundwise?

Tsl dsl jcm800 jvm

For me also the 2B is special, both with strat (very hendrix) and les paul (very zeppelin)

Never heard much about this amp before i bought, only remember afterwards that as a youngster i was amazed by my local ampshop was suddenly full of blue amps that looked complicated :)

Tonton, as a stand alone unit, that is, ready to play with no external cabs, playing each with their respective speakers rather than running all through the same cab:

6101 has more usable gain on tap than DSL, TSL or Jube especially channel 2 C - what a killer!
More high end as well almost to a fault - on 2C I have to really reduce treble, it still cits through mix but very modern, not quite as thick.
DSL40C has a V30 speaker and C19 clip - more midrangy, I would say low to mid mids, wouldnt cut through mix as well without adding highs, Imlive in lead 1 or boost crunch channel, very nice tone, obviously less versatile.
TSL is also 3 channel with 2x12, has a touch better bottom end, a bit darker, again, a bit less useful gain but still plenty on tap. I may prefer the overall sound of the TSL but have to gig next week with 6101 with the different tubes on ch 2B to compare properly.
Add the 6912 cab though, and there's some bottom end! Completely competes with the TSL but I find easier transport with the 2 separate enclosures.
Jube is a different beast, darker, tons of smooth thick gain but less versatile, I personally dont care for the rhythm clip feature on channel one but admittedly dont try it much and have never gigged with that mode.
They each sound good in different ways, it's weird, they all sound slighly different but still great.
Thats my 2 cents worth, I have AB'd the TSL, DSL and 6101 and thats my opinion.

Force235, I am just trying standard TungSol 12AX7 as thats all I have handy. Tonton, which version did you use? Will find results later this week.