• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall 30th Anniversary

• Thread starter DragonSarc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i had a chance years ago to play thru a blue skinned 6100 w/ EL34's !
it had that marshall crunch like i have never heard !! my 6100LM does it
pretty good but the 6100's / the EL34's , just awsome IMO !!!! it does
classic rock very well IMO !!

mercilessdeath86

Reaction score
So glad I jumped on this head. I want to get another one as a backup, I don't know what I would to if something ever happened to my 6100LM :confused:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
So glad I jumped on this head. I want to get another one as a backup, I don't know what I would to if something ever happened to my 6100LM :confused:

hey man !!

you got your 6100 rockin or what !!!! thats great to hear , yes many lucky
players have been backed by the 6100's killer tone , as you have been reading above its my favorite marshall head that i have owned . if you
could only have one head to take to a gig , this one's a no brainer IMO !!

" i don't know i would do if something ever happend to my 6100 "

do you know how many times i have read that comment from so many
players over the years , guys really grow to rely on that amps many
abilties to do the live performance and record etc.

6100's are marshalls diamond in the rough !!:dude:

gtrman

Reaction score

So true so true ... did a quick search on the web and lo-and-behold I came across a used 6100LM head (I only have the combo). Tried it out with a Gibson Slash Les Paul. It sounded even better than the combo. HUGE and LOUD !
I have been gigging with a JCM800 (which I totally dig btw) but it's just a one channel beast which makes it unflexable when playing live.

Anyway the 6100LM is now in my posession and I'm going to try it out this weekend at my next gig ... so the next few days i'll be home dialing in my sound.
Should be fun ....

steelhorse

Reaction score
So true so true ... did a quick search on the web and lo-and-behold I came across a used 6100LM head (I only have the combo). Tried it out with a Gibson Slash Les Paul. It sounded even better than the combo. HUGE and LOUD !
I have been gigging with a JCM800 (which I totally dig btw) but it's just a one channel beast which makes it unflexable when playing live.

Anyway the 6100LM is now in my posession and I'm going to try it out this weekend at my next gig ... so the next few days i'll be home dialing in my sound.
Should be fun ....

Enjoy it!

gtrman

Reaction score
Enjoy it!

Oh, i will :)
This means I will keep my JSX with the EL34 setting.
I was considering using the JSX in my live setup. That would require changing it to 6L6 and re-bias. I use a fullstack live so that would again mean getting an extra Peavey cabinett ... getting the 6100LM seems a more practical solution, AND I get to use Marshall live ... which looks way cooler :naughty:

steelhorse

Reaction score
I use a JSX live and get lots more raves over that than any Marshall I use on stage with it about the looks and tone.

The JSX with 6L6's slays.

gtrman

Reaction score
I use a JSX live and get lots more raves over that than any Marshall I use on stage with it about the looks and tone.

The JSX with 6L6's slays.

One of these days I will try the 6L6 on the JSX ... I have a feeling it will kick some serious butt !
Totally agree that the JSX looks great but I just love the way a Marshall fullstock looks with the 3 logos symmetrically top through bottom ...

steelhorse

Reaction score
I think sometimes Marshall's being as popular and so widely used as they are, tend to blend in with the rest of the furniture in clubs.

When they see something different it creates a little bit of a stir in between sets and what amazes me is how when there's little gab session going on, the chicks have to get in on it. but I'm a good boy. ;)

zslane

Reaction score
Whenever I see a backline that's not filled with Marshalls, I don't wonder, gee what's that kewl amp back there. I tend to think, gee too bad they couldn't afford Marshalls... :thumb:

steelhorse

Reaction score
The reality of it is the only folks who really care are players other than that they're usually getting busy trying to get busy :)l

gtrman

Reaction score
Whenever I see a backline that's not filled with Marshalls, I don't wonder, gee what's that kewl amp back there. I tend to think, gee too bad they couldn't afford Marshalls... :thumb:

Good one ... :)
Just got the Gary Moore & Friends: One Night in Dublin on Blu-Ray. The whole stage is filled with Marshalls. Gary has 3 DSL's lined up next to each other and the other guitarists all have the sweet Marshall set-up ... yes they can afford it !

Silverburst

Reaction score
i have a keeley modded ds1 and it sounded awful . his amps and his pedals
get mixed reviews on the net , but you say it sounds great through the
clean channel of a jsx. i'm not understanding why he would have a custom
made amp and then run a pedal in the clean channel to get that sound .
but lets get real he knows a thing or two about tone...

Picking up the thread again. I'm a total satch fan as well. So I once also had a Keeley ds1, and I used it trough a Legacy since Vai used the same Keeley, and as you say Tubes, it was horrible as well. Vai can have asbolutely fat screaming tone as well, can't see how his tone could be called thing. Anyway, I totally couldn't understand how the DS-1 was part of their tone. And you even say they used it trough the clean channel ??? (was even worse, really thin sounding). I thought they would use it to push an already overdriven amp, but now I'm not sure anymore what 'already overdriven' means, channel-wise.

The JSX: tested it in a store and found it soundind a bit too 'fat'. Since I like my slice of metal (Metallica rhythms) from time to time, the amp seemed not tight enough for me. Also, I think the Dimarzio FRED plays quite some part in Satche's tone. I once had a JS1000, and it's a rather appart sounding pickup to say the least.

The satchurator, well, I'm really curious to test that one. I seem to have always prefered pedal-distortion. Again I'm cruising preamp distortion to find the tone of tones for me, but again (not the first time I've been down that alley), I seem to be comfronted with the fact that they tend to sound too loose for me... do pedals tend to sound more compressed and is it that what I prefer. I algo just got my hands on a Vintage proco Rat because I also like Nuno Bettencourts tone a lot. One thing is sure, they all played Marshalls and have their signature amp based on these, or still use them behind the scenes. Maybe I'll end up using only clean with pedals as well. But there I ask myself if there is a lot of difference in putting such pedals in front of the clean of a marshall, a fender, a legacy...

Now, I've got my eyes on an LM6100... I must be losing it, it's all you guys, that would make me 3rd Marshall in not even 2 weeks beside the JCM800-4211 and TSL100 I just got. :dude: Wifey is going to hang me :hmm:

steelhorse

Reaction score
This is way off course but I didn't realize Keeley did amps! LOL

He doesn't.

I have had every single pedal RFK has every produced and I mean every. I have none currently.

I have 2 DS-1's. One at the club one at the house, both modded by garmopatmods.com.

His DS-1's are so much more organic and analog sounding than any other I've ever heard.

Case in point, I had a garmopat modded DS-1 a year or 2 ago and was in the process of trading a combo w/ 1x12 extension cab for a SLX-2100 /1960A halfstack. The other party didn't really dig the crunch but really liked the portability of the setup vs. the halfstack.

I stuck the DS-1 in front of the combo (I had been using the DS-1 in front of it for some time for practice but I really did not want to get rid of the pedal) and BAM! That was the sound he was looking for. He said we had a deal IF I included the pedal, so reluctantly I let it go and I've since replaced it.

The 6100 is a great amp and I'm not going to sweat over getting another one because of the chip situation, that said though, I for one love a FAT tone but I didn't use any old 6L6 when I set my JSX's up, but I installed TAD's and I replaced the pre's as well EHX and Tung Sol's iirc.

I also re-biased the amp correctly by using a probe instead of the built in test points. Peavey won't admit it but it's not accurate at all.

I achieved the punch and the grind I look for in an amp and the tone, very similar to the 6100, I've aby'd them side by side and the 6100 is not as thick around the edges.

Both great amps but it's literally impossible imo to get mutliple artists tones with one amp and one guitar and a certain pickup but that's not my thing anyway, if I'm dong a cover and it gets close that's good enough.

Rock!

Silverburst

Reaction score
Both great amps but it's literally impossible imo to get mutliple artists tones with one amp and one guitar and a certain pickup but that's not my thing anyway, if I'm dong a cover and it gets close that's good enough.
Rock!

Yeah, very true. But analyzing superb players tone's is just in the nature of guitarists huh ? ;)

I also just wonder if the Satchurator Joe himself uses is the same (specific parts, qualities...) as the one you buy in the shop. More than probably not. I was wondering tough if he used a 6100 or a 6100LM.

That said, concerning ones tone, you have to check this video and I'd love to see you jaw drop if it's the first time you see it. This made me realize that tone comes from a big part (bigger than I'd ever imagine) from one's flesh and bones. Not talking about technique here, but tone, feeling... check out that gear huuumppff. Lol however he mentions that it was painfull on the guitar at the end hehehe:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts]YouTube - Joe Satriani surfing with the alien[/ame]

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
lets remember also the recording process has alot to do with the overall sound .
have heard the jsx in a music store and live and it sounded great , but i have
not played one myself !

i should repeat my comment about keeley's mods . he has a huge reputation for
doing great mod work to various pedals , but they are not for everyone , i have
heard a few of his mods and to be honest they were ok , but way to bottom end
heavy and it mudded up the overall sound IMO !

it never made sense to me when he played the 6100 to have a killer amp and then
put a boss ds1 thru the clean channel to get your sound , but as i said he knows a
thing or two about good tone etc.

oh also !! i know that keeley does not do amps , i'm not sure where that comment
came from , i don't believe i said that . at least not that i can recall .

like steelhorse said i like the DS-1 also when modded , its a great distortion box that
can be used infront of an amp or as your standalone dist. sound , but the key here is
the " MODDED" part , it has to be reworked !! in stock trim they are just awfull IMO !