Marshall 50W MSG

• Thread starter AndyD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AndyD

Reaction score
The Jimmy Page Maddison Square Garden tone was my very earliest of influences for guitar tone...and one that has eluded me! I happened to see a gut shot of a Royal Amps Marshall MSG and it inspired me to try to make a 50W version from an amp that I built previously and have used to try out different ideas. The amp in question is was essentially a lead amp with new production Brimar KT88s. I spent literally an hour to make some changes to the amp and the results were really pleasing. It very much has the character of the MSG tone. It feels lovely to play and is particularly touch sensitive. The sound of the pick is fab. Great fun to play! You will see that the circuit is really a hybrid bass circuit with superbass "ish" filtering. The changes I made were....remove volume bright cap (this is really important), 22n + 22n preamp couplers, retained 0.68/2k7 lead channel, lead tone stack, removed 0.68 bypass cap on cathode follower, 100n output couplers, 47K/8ohm tap NFB, 2K2 screens, 50uf (only) mains filter, 16uf screens then 32uf, 32uf and 32uf filtering. The KT88s were biased at 19W max dissipation. (edit) The 220K bias range resistor was reduced to 150K to get the correct bias range. Try 180K as well. The PT is a 90s 1202 - 324 converted to a laydown and gives a B+ of 450V. The OT is just a Dagnall made Modulus 50W EL34 style. I set the amp with the presence on 6, bass nearly off, mids on 4, treble on 6 and bright channel volume on 5. I like to push the front end a little with a Chase Tone Secret Preamp set on 3. Add a little bit of slap back and the sound is there! Try it and see!
PVcvdHG.jpg
sPF5whO.jpg

Last edited:

playloud

Reaction score
Really nice build Andy!

And good to see that variac wired up...

What did you mean by "retained 0.68 bypass cap on cathode follower"?

AndyD

Reaction score
Really nice build Andy!

And good to see that variac wired up...

What did you mean by "retained 0.68 bypass cap on cathode follower"?
Cheers Henry! When I say "retained", I meant "removed" lol! (now edited). Good catch! At this stage I really don't think it needs that bypass cap as the amp has the same nice gain delivery as a typical bass amp as it is. As it is, I can get the volume reasonably high before the amp breaks up significantly. Volume on 5 gives that clean/sweet driven sound that I think is signature to JP tone. I should really try adding it to see, but I like how the amp sounds too much to rush into it. It's really the voicing, filtering and KT88s that give this amp the sound and feel that, with my ears, is so reminiscent of the SRTS album. Big sound for a 50 watter BTW!
And yes, the variac is ready to go!

AndyD

Reaction score
That amp is just eye candy Andy. And stop putting ideas in my head!:)
Thats what we're here for Marco!
If you like JPs sound from that album, this will put a smile on your face. It's not what I would call a typical Plexi sound....its a bit different and worth a try. This amp has become a bit of a test bed in that respect!
Btw, do you recognise the 0.68 mustard?!!!

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
For a brief moment I thought you had dug into your 1986, was relieved to see it was a clone. Very nice looking though!

Thanks for sharing these ideas, very interesting. Might need to build a JMP50 clone myself.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
For a brief moment I thought you had dug into your 1986, was relieved to see it was a clone. Very nice looking though!

Thanks for sharing these ideas, very interesting. Might need to build a JMP50 clone myself.
Might? :)

AndyD

Reaction score

I wouldn't dare! This amp has been great for trying out different circuits. The '69 1986 is still by far my favourite amp, but when pretending to be JP, this amp is fun!

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Thats what we're here for Marco!
If you like JPs sound from that album, this will put a smile on your face. It's not what I would call a typical Plexi sound....its a bit different and worth a try. This amp has become a bit of a test bed in that respect!
Btw, do you recognise the 0.68 mustard?!!!
I do have some KT88's, a power transformer and a few bits to make a an amp like that.... i might just try it in the future. Those Brimar tubes do look sexy! Glad you could use the cap

Latest posts