• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall 9005 stereo power amp - nice sound, low volume

Michael m and m

Reaction score
hey there,
thanks for checking in.

first of all a disclaimer: i know how to handle the life threatening voltages inside the tube amp, and know how to measure voltage and resistors, without risking my life. ; )

my great sounding 9005 stereo power amp, that i bouht used, unfortunately has very low volume. in HIGH mode i run the gain at 12 o'clock, and the volume is room level. not loud.
both channels the exact way. LOW mode also works fine, but low as well.

the amp sounds absolutely fine ... no hum, almost no noise and no crackling, etc.

as the channels both are the same sounding ... is it possible that someone before me has kind of severely reduced the output to speakers, with resistors, etc.?
maybe even for hi--fi use. dont know how many owners this power amp has seen already ... ; )

the big power supply in the middle is for both channels. is it common thst these lose power after 35 years? as it feeds both, channel a and b simultanously.

valve plate voltage and bias is fine ... all tubes are new.

thanks for help
maybe somebody had a similar experience. maybe with a jcm800 in mono! great sound but very low volume.

Latest posts