• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall AFD 5W Combo?

• Thread starter LivingTheDream
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LivingTheDream

Reaction score
About a year ago I remember reading about an AFD 5 watt combo amp in the works.

Did Marshall kill this, or do they still intend to release it?

brp

Reaction score
Slash has commented on it, there is (was?) a vague picture of what appears to be it on the Marshall website and the domain "afd5.com" is registered to Marshall Amplification but still no official word from the company yet.

JVM

Reaction score
slash5w-frontbig.jpg

Holy duck-fuck! :applause:

Any word on pricing?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There aren't, nor were, any official announcements at all.

Hell, I don't even know if that's the real thing. I heard awhile back that it was also possibly a custom-made practice amp made for Slash, so it may actually may be either the AFD5 or just a one-off for him. Most likely the latter, because if you read the badge, it says "Custom Made by Marshall Amplification."

Neylus

Reaction score
You're wrong man!
That's not the AFD5 but it's a custom Marshall that Jim created only for Slash. There are only two of those in the world: Slash's personal one and the other for the Marshall company.

There's no photos of the AFD5.

And here's a video of Slash himself testing that combo:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5QvX9fOJtk&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/ame]

You can read something like "Custom Made by Marshall for Slash"

safc78

Reaction score
That is the practice amp Marshall made for Slash maybe 5 years ago (there's footage of him receiving it and trying it at the Marshall factory on youtube. It's not a 5 watt AFD as the cosmetics of the amp clearly show.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That is the practice amp Marshall made for Slash maybe 5 years ago (there's footage of him receiving it and trying it at the Marshall factory on youtube. It's not a 5 watt AFD as the cosmetics of the amp clearly show.

Yes, I know. I corrected myself. :rofl:

I'm going to fix that edit now.

Username2

Reaction score
Earlier this year there were leaks about new amps prior to the official launch date Marshall had set. The 1 watt information and pictures were leaked as were the details of the JVM410JS. There has been other leaks such as the DSL15 also.

These "leaks" were mainly from distributors or retailers. Marshall took notice and corrected the problem. When I say "corrected" I mean it is highly unlikely that leaks about future amps will ever happen again. Marshall will announce any new amps when they're ready to announce them. They have many reasons for doing this but one of the reasons IS NOT to piss anyone off.

The AFD5 was hinted by Slash himself then nothing, read what you want into that. There is a queue for the new amps. Again the 50th celebration is all year.

Username2

Reaction score
The year is half gone. I'd sure like to know something before freaking December.:slash:

Technically Marshall isn't 50 yet.

JM: I opened a drum shop in Hanwell, London, in 1960 where I sold drums and gave lessons. The drummers I taught would all bring their guitarists in all the time and young players like Pete Townshend and Ritchie Blackmore would always say to me, "Why only drums? Why don't you sell guitars and amplifiers too, Jim? The other music shops in London all treat us like idiots because we play rock and roll, you don't so we'd much rather shop here!" My initial reply was, "I know a lot about drums but not much about guitars and amplifiers." But, I decided to give it a go anyway and it turned out to be very successful indeed right away. "So many players came to my Hanwell shop, it was almost like a rock and roll labor exchange because a lot of groups were formed there. Anyway, lads like Pete (Townshend), Ritchie (Blackmore) and Big Jim Sullivan - who was and still is one of the top session guitarists in England - started saying to me, "no one makes an amplifier that sounds the way we'd like it to. The Fender Bassman is something like it but not exactly." They explained to me exactly what they were looking for and I said to my repairman, Ken Bran, "let's have a go at making the amplifier they're looking for. I've got the sound in my mind and I think we can do it." Ken said, "I'm a good at repairs but I don't really know enough to design an amplifier from scratch. I know of this 18 year old kid who works for EMI called Dudley Craven who's brilliant, though." So, I met with Dudley and said, "How would you like to join the team that's going to design and build the first rock and roll guitar amplifier?" He told me that he'd love to but that he was an apprentice at EMI. I asked him how much he was making and offered him the same amount I was paying Ken which was over three times as much as EMI were paying him. He immediately said, "done" and joined the team! Dudley handled all the technical details; Ken helped him solder the board while I did the chassis work and everything else. Unfortunately I've lost contact with Dudley. The last I heard of him he was in Canada. I've tried to track him down but I've been unsuccessful I'm afraid. Anyway, Dudley built five prototypes, which I rejected because they weren't quite right - they didn't quite make the sound I had in my head. Then he made number six and I as soon as I heard it I said, "that's it! That's the Marshall sound." It sounded exactly like the sound the boys had described to me, you see. We put that amp into my shop that Saturday for people to hear and it didn't even have a cabinet, it was just the chassis! We took orders for 23 that first day.
When was that Jim? And how soon after that did Marshall Amplification start officially manufacturing amplifiers?
JM:
That would've been September 1962, when we showed amp "number six" in the shop. We started making them straight away but it was slow to begin with because we could only build one or two a week. We grew fairly quickly though.
jim.jpg