Marshall budget range hate

• Thread starter Lee274
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lee274

Reaction score
Been reading up in Marshalls this past few weeks since joining up and it's been a breath of fresh air.

One thing I've noticed since joining here is the absence of abuse people direct at the newer more budget friendly amps like MG and MA series etc. I've never understood why some 'snobs' criticise the gear some people have. There are several guitar forums where the more budget friendly range are constantly abused and people using them are told they don't know what a real amp is. Not everyone can afford overpriced amps such as Mesa etc and each to their own

It's refreshing to see people offering advice on how to tweak amps to make them a bit better and the get the best out of what you have. Whether that be a JCM800 or an MG10 they all carry that famous logo and I say anything that keeps them going is a great thing, both for budget and players with higher expectations.

Love this place!

Lee

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Been reading up in Marshalls this past few weeks since joining up and it's been a breath of fresh air.

One thing I've noticed since joining here is the absence of abuse people direct at the newer more budget friendly amps like MG and MA series etc. I've never understood why some 'snobs' criticise the gear some people have. There are several guitar forums where the more budget friendly range are constantly abused and people using them are told they don't know what a real amp is. Not everyone can afford overpriced amps such as Mesa etc and each to their own

It's refreshing to see people offering advice on how to tweak amps to make them a bit better and the get the best out of what you have. Whether that be a JCM800 or an MG10 they all carry that famous logo and I say anything that keeps them going is a great thing, both for budget and players with higher expectations.

Love this place!

Lee
Lee what you playing, guitar, amp, type of music...

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Sorry, but having made the mistake of paying $175 for a Marshall MG15, if I were to do it again I would rather pay (wait and pay even) the extra $75 and get a Blackstar Debut50.

Sometimes you really are just paying for the badge.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Love this place!

Lee
There are some rude, obnoxious, condescending, elitist, status driven, self serving, pontificating, prickish, asshole guitarists out there. Some don't even play. They just buy expensive gear to appear to be somebody's.

The joy of playing. Play it all, all the time.

We good here. In Marshall land.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some rude, obnoxious, condescending, elitist, status driven, self serving, pontificating, prickish, asshole guitarists out there. Some don't even play. They just buy expensive gear to appear to be somebody's.

I'm thinking this cold I have(thank u granddaughters)is making me a wee bit irritable.

A bit snappy I is.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
My smallest amp may be one of the most entry-level low budget Marshall's you can find! It's an old MG10 cd. It's such a rude noisy little b¥gger! No subtle edge-of-breakup tones, but its a heap of fun to have a loud blast on. And it looks the part too, with the right logo and knobs and corners etc.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
If I like it its good. If I dont its not good for me thats all. I have a tiny Epiphone 10W itty bitty practice amp I play all the time for those "dont wake the baby" late night practices at home. It serves a purpose. Ive also had JCM800s I loved. Also had a certain holy grail amp I HATED to no end.
If you like it use it. Dimebag played solid state Randalls and Rigg's from White Zombie Marshall MG 100s some snobs wouldnt be caught dead with a SS amp. To each thier own.
Its not the gear, gear comes after the fingers and mind, its used to get the most outta what the fingers and mind create.
Ive seen great guitar players play mediocre gear and I've seen mediocre guitarists with great gear.

Last edited:

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score

Oh there are some special people here too. But a lot of good folks make up for them.

colchar

Reaction score

Love this place!

Lee

Some models suck - such as MGs. I would know, I owned two. Never again. And once you start owning good Marshalls you realize how bad the entry level stuff can be. That being said, some lower level stuff can also be really good (is. Valvestate series).

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
People decide what their budget will be, and make buying decisions based on it. Some people are more patient, and will save longer, and wait longer, and get higher range gear because of it.

I have my opinions on what's a better amp for your money and what's a ripoff. I might even be right sometimes.

My MG15MSII microstack head actually does a really fun metal tone when plugged into one of my 1960 cabinets.

My vintage JMP Marshalls are awesome but not everybody wants amps that are that loud or cost that much.

Find what you like, at a price you like. Later on you may find that your tastes have changed and better gear is within reach.

Nobody's preference remain the same forever. Expect to change. Expect to sell or trade some gear out and get other gear to replace it.

Just as long as you don't buy any Line 6 gear, you should be fine. :cool:

El Gringo

Reaction score

You hit it right on the head and I agree 1000% Marshall Forum is the best site as in everyone shares so freely with help all the time everyday . I know this for a fact as I have been on the receiving end of all the generosity from the Fine Folks here at Marshall Forum . One of the reasons I think this is one of the finest forums is maybe the fine folks here are more Mature ! " The Joy of playing " that sums it up for me , as that's what it's all about the darn rooting tooting fun it is to plug in a play and make music as best as we can . :headbanger:

El Gringo

Reaction score
There's a place for everything in this world of ours, tweak this and do that, it's all the same as to what you want to do, what gear you use, just get on and enjoy what there is, there's never ever been more equipment available 👍
For sure , and it really has never ever been a better time as in we have so many choices in gear , at so many price points , and it's a win win for everybody .