Marshall budget range hate

• Thread starter Lee274
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Just choose with your ears. I have a personal distaste for the Valvestate range, I think the MGs are ok but you can find better stuff for the same price point. I ´d buy an used jet city any day over a new MG.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed since joining here is the absence of abuse people direct at the newer more budget friendly amps like MG and MA series etc. I've never understood why some 'snobs' criticise the gear some people have. There are several guitar forums where the more budget friendly range are constantly abused and people using them are told they don't know what a real amp is. Not everyone can afford overpriced amps such as Mesa etc and each to their own
I've had, and still have, a few SS Marshall amps, including an MG.
One thing I've noticed is that these "budget friendly" amps tend to come with speakers that tend to suck.

My MG15HCFX micro stack came alive when I did a speaker upgrade, but I put the stock speakers back in when I sold it.

I run my G215RCD in a head conversion through a pair of 1x12 greenback cabs, and that amp is killer.
Absolutely no comparison to how it sounded as the 2x8 combo that I got for next to nothing.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum...

I'd like to say that you'd be immune from that here, but, there will be that almost anywhere in gear circles... For the most part though, how does it affect someone else, by what you play on?

We all start somewhere & some of us stay where we started, some of us move on. :shrug:

As long as you are inspired by what you play on at the moment, who can complain?

:cheers:

Calebz

Reaction score
I love cheap gear. I just don't love cheap marshalls😄. To be fair I don't love most Marshalls.

That said, I don't think I've ever talked shit about them either. Seems like a bad use of time to shit on something someone else may like and get good results from.