Marshall Class 5 amps....

• Thread starter maltone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maltone

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some guidance on the Class 5 amps. I have a 2005 Gretsch Firebird with a single TV Jones Classic Plus bridge pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone.

I've heard these amps are pretty good, but I tried one last week, and I found the tone a bit "honky" or constricted. Is that a function of the single EL84 tube, or can this amp open up with a 2 X 12, or a 4 X 12.

I've heard the Vintage Modern 2266 (50 watt) which I love, but it's almost too much amp for my needs. So, I'm looking for something more reasonable in terms of volume, but I'm hoping the class 5 can get better detail, bigger sound.

Would an extension cabinet open up the tone for me, or am I better off with the VM 2266? Thanks.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
They are completely different amps. Since you've played with both, I don't have to give you the rundown on the differences ... you know what they offer, how the sound, and how they differ.

Having said that, while it does seem like the 50W could be a little overwhelming compared to 5W, the Vintage Modern has the addition of a very nice master volume, which makes the amp much more useable in various situations where volume is a consideration. If being able to manage the volume is a concern, I would absolutely go with the VM.

Also, while both are single channel amps, having the addition of two dynamic ranges on the VM makes the amp a lot more versatile for various styles of music.

If you are considering a particular Class 5, be sure that it's one of the newer ones. The first run that was sent out were largely defective due to rattling problems.

Hope this helps a bit.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
I have a 5w Valve Jr. and that thing sounds monstrous thru a 4x12. No reason the Class5 should be any different. One EL84 sounds very classic rock and when you crank it and goose it she turns a lovely shade of mushy.

strathaze

Reaction score
theres a vid on youtube of that long haired pommy guy at the Marshall factory putting a class 5 thru a 4x12 cab. Sounds awesome. Dying to try my Valve Jnr through a quad!

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Why don't u try? I think it'll sound better thru a 1960 than its stock speakers.
But just a hypotesis.

maltone

Reaction score
Much thanks for the feedback guys. I thought of the class 5 initially because it's cost effective, and I'm a basement hacker. I got my Gretsch at a steal, put some better hardware on it and the TV Jones pickup. I absolutely LOVE that VM Marshall 2266, but it's almost $1700.00 Canadian with taxes. I thought the class 5 was ok, - it did get that classic rock break up - which is all I'm looking for, Malcolm's sound etc.

I know the class 5 is limited, it had a certain limited range when I pushed the volume around 5-6, but it didn't have that push or firmness that the VM had. I know they're completely different amps. As I was playing the class 5, at times I thought, "hmmm, not bad" but not WOW like the VM. I'm still not sure what to do. I'm wondering if I should just get a class 5, and run it through a 2 X 12 with vintage 30's?

tbwrench

Reaction score
I have a class 5 and use it with a 1960A with vintage 30's in it. It sounds great. The one thing it isn't great at is clean sounds. You can get them but not loud. I am talking fender-ish clean. I am quite happy with the cleans I get though by rolling off the vol on the guitar. The amp likes humbuckers better than single coils from what I have experienced. For a bedroom player, I thinks it would be a great choice.

I have a A/B/Y switch and If I gig out with less than a half stack, I will use my class 5 and my blues junior together and I can cover most if not all the sounds needed.

Get the class 5 and a 4x12 cab, you won't regret it.

Attachments

• DSCN1939.jpg
    DSCN1939.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN1888.jpg
    DSCN1888.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6

maltone

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I'm still racking my brain over this. I think I'd need to take a class 5 home, and run it through a friends 2 X 12, or 4 X 12, then compare that to a Vintage Modern.

That's another great idea tbwrench, I was thinking, I'll get a class 5, and then a Vox AC 15, and run them in stereo. I'm sure that would be a cool sound!

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I'm still racking my brain over this. I think I'd need to take a class 5 home, and run it through a friends 2 X 12, or 4 X 12, then compare that to a Vintage Modern.

That's another great idea tbwrench, I was thinking, I'll get a class 5, and then a Vox AC 15, and run them in stereo. I'm sure that would be a cool sound!

I have to warn you against current Voxes though. Don't get the ones with Blue AlNiCos because they r FAKE Blues. and yes the cab is made of MDF :(
Get one without them and buy them later ;)
And also you'll have to mod it if u want the real Vox tone. But the real UK Blue AlNiCos will be a big step!

emdub123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, longtime lurker first-time poster here!

I just received a blem Class 5 purchased from MF yesterday. Evidently the previous purchaser blew a power tube and sent it back. The geniuses at MF sold it to me without putting in a new tube. All is well, however, they are overnighting me 2 12ax7s and an el84.

Anyway, I happened to have some spare tubes laying around so I opened up the amp and had a look-see. First impression: man there isn't much to this amp. Super small and sparse PCB, a couple of transformers and three tubes. As others have mentioned, the chassis is pretty thin and the transformers don't look all that beefy -- but then I'm not an EE, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

Swapped the tubes, and she was ready to roll. The tubes I had laying around were the ones that came stock in my AC30 (sovteks), which aren't my favorite tubes for my AC30 and, as it turns out, aren't my favorite for the Class 5 either. It's only after you swap them out that you realize how dull crappy tubes are, and cheap sovteks are no exception.

Tonewise, the Sovtek el84 couldn't handle the job past about 7 on the volume. However, at 7 these crappy tubes still delivered a really nice, rich harmonic overdriven tone that is classic Marshall. Had to pull back the Bass to about 3 with the Les Paul and 4.5 with the Tele and kept the Treble and Mids at about 6. Better tubes might be able to handle more, but this is where the sweet spot was for me.

Like others have said, it works really well to dime (or 7 in my case) the amp and control the gain with the volume knob. The Tele in particular cleans up really well when you roll back the volume. Not Fender clean, more like Vox clean, which in my view is just fine. If I wanted Fender clean I wouldn't be plugging into a friggin marshall, right?

I'm reserving judgment on the speaker because I know they typically take a few weeks to break in, but my initial impression is that it's pretty good. A tad bit pronounced in the 700-1khz range (guess), but rolling back the mids slightly helps it to not sound boxy. Might look into a Weber Silver bell at some point.

Long story short, it's a nice simple amp with good tone. I would imagine once the mod squad starts rolling out their upgraded transformers, etc. it might even be possible to turn it into a truly great amp. Was it worth $400? Yes. Hope this helps, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this amp.

poeman33

Reaction score

Check the Ohms on a 2x12 before you plug the Class 5 into it. A Marshall 1936 for example is 8ohms, and the ext speaker output on the Class 5 is 16ohms only. The Class 5 also sounds great through the headphone jack into a 4x12, and it's bedroom volume that way for quiet practice.

maltone

Reaction score
wkcchampion, IF I could afford one, I'd seriously look at a 65 - London. It seems it can do Marshall, and VOX a kind of MarVox blend. But, I can't afford one, period.

emdub123, when you mentioned the Weber silver bell, would that give the sound more articulation. I HATED that boxy mid range sound as well. Do you think a different speaker or extension cabinet would help? Or is this something inherent with the transformer?

Last, when you do plug into an extension cabinet, does that over-ride the internal speaker in the amp, or is it used in conjunction with the cabinet? I wonder if you can mod this amp, to get more oomph out of it.

maltone

Reaction score
poeman33, I always thought that 2 X 12's would have the option to run BOTH 8/16 ohms? No?

I wonder if the new Orange Dual Terror might be more in line with the tone I want. I wish Marshall had put on a power scaling option (From London Power) on the class 5.

maltone

Reaction score
Re: Marshall Class 5 amps....Power Scaling...

I know, it might seem silly, but there's a company called Fargen doing it for their "mini plexi"

Fargen Mini Plex MK II Amp Features
* London Power / Power Scaling control 12 watts down to less than a 1/2 watt
* Single or dual power tube switch
Fargen Guitar Amps : Fargen Mini Plex MK II Guitar Amplifier : Tube Guitar Amps

- I just thought, hey, why not on a 5 watt? 12 watts can't be much louder than 5. Even the 5 watt class 5 at 4-5 is loud-esque. But I know, tube amps are typically loud by nature!