Marshall Class 5 Combo Amp (need Help)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That's NOT how it works. Plug adapters don't convert anything and are just for plugging in multi-voltage devices with built-in or proprietary power cords.

A Euro voltage transformer with enough wattage to run anything bigger than a cellphone charger is a hefty box weighing several pounds that'll cost you $40ish at least

....and anyway, verrrrry unlikely that's the issue

Plugging a 230V amp into a 110V outlet isn't gonna work...

I know a guy who bought a Victory amp from Andertons in England and back here in the States he has an adapter to plug it into the wall, I played the amp myself at my house and I didnt see anything special.

Adieu

Reaction score
I know a guy who bought a Victory amp from Andertons in England and back here in the States he has an adapter to plug it into the wall, I played the amp myself at my house and I didnt see anything special.

Rewired or toggled inside (many have a voltage toggle but hide it so it's not accessible to the consumer to prevent accidents), and re-fused

The adapter is just for the plug, it does NOTHING for voltage, only works alone for multivoltage devices like cellphone chargers and electric shavers...And he doesn't actually have a british plug to adapt anyway...

I've done this before. Hell, I have a transformer and a 240v Playstation 3 Euro in my closet....for some reason

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Rewired or toggled inside (many have a voltage toggle but hide it so it's not accessible to the consumer to prevent accidents), and re-fused

The adapter is just for the plug, it does NOTHING for voltage, only works alone for multivoltage devices like cellphone chargers and electric shavers...And he doesn't actually have a british plug to adapt anyway...

I've done this before. Hell, I have a transformer and a 240v Playstation 3 Euro in my closet....for some reason
So what does this guy need to do then, have the transformer rewired to 110v and get different fuses?

Adieu

Reaction score
Hey never mind... if it ONLY says "mains input 230v", but no 110-120v on mains, then I'm an idgit, and what OP needs is:

1) https://www.frys.com/product/3696635?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
...100w should be enough, someone correct me if I'm wrong (that's consumption not output... for example my 100w TSL lists consumption 375w)

2) possibly : new Euro-value fuses if someone blew them hooking up to US mains... when using transformer, use the EURO 230V VALUE because that's what the transformer puts out

3) a Euro plug adapter with ground not needed, these things oddly enough output 220v into a US plug connection

PS for tranny purposes, 110v = 115v = 120v and 220v = 230v = 240v so it's all good if the tranny says 220 and the Marshall says 230

Last edited:

Kenneth S Meese

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your input. I'm going to take it to a local amp shop and have them look at it. I was hoping maybe I was overlooking something simple. with all your advice it could be anything so I'm going to take it to a professional it's a really nice amp, I want to get it working.

Latest posts