Marshall Code 50 - footswitch nightmare.

• Thread starter dchurch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dchurch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a Marshall Code 50 with the footswitch, and tried to follow the official video on youtube about how to assign a preset to a switch...but it doesn't work.

Has anyone worked out how to do this? I've looked at dozens of videos now, and they all say different things. On occasion, I've managed to get it to work (I've got two presets that I want assigned to A1, and A2, but not quite sure how I did it - I wrote it down as I was doing it, but aside from the second time, it's not worked again since).

I feel that I must be missing something because the way I managed it was to cycle through the banks (even if you're already on the bank you want), then select a preset, then click the switch at the same time as holding the store button, then cycle through the banks again, then switch the amp off whilst it's displaying the number on the screen (or it won't save). Then, sometimes, it will assign the preset to that switch - but not every time.

It can't be this convoluted really, can it?

PelliX

Reaction score
:welcome: !

Note this section:

Storing a Preset to a footcontroller location:
• Select a Preset on your CODE amplifier that you wish to store to the footcontroller.
• Choose a location on the footcontroller that you wish to store to: BANK A - J.
• While holding down the EXIT/STORE switch on the amplifier panel, press and release the desired button on the footcontroller: 1 - 3.
• Your chosen Preset will now be recalled when you select that footcontroller location.

I don't have a CODE myself, so I can't really vouch for it, but that's the official procedure. @fitz has or had one, perhaps he can provide some hands-on experienced input here. Also note the SWITCH and PRESET modes.

dchurch

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply.

I did see that in the manual, but it only works sometimes. Other times, you *think* it's worked as the correct sound is coming out, but the amp says a different preset is selected. You move to a different bank (or even just a different switch), then back again and the preset you previously assigned is now something completely random.
If you click the same switch again, it seems to cycle through different presets.

Using this live is going to be the stuff of nightmares.

It's a good thing this amp is lightweight...it's going to come in handy when I throw it in the sea :p

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a Marshall Code 50 with the footswitch, and tried to follow the official video on youtube about how to assign a preset to a switch...but it doesn't work.

Has anyone worked out how to do this? I've looked at dozens of videos now, and they all say different things. On occasion, I've managed to get it to work (I've got two presets that I want assigned to A1, and A2, but not quite sure how I did it - I wrote it down as I was doing it, but aside from the second time, it's not worked again since).

I feel that I must be missing something because the way I managed it was to cycle through the banks (even if you're already on the bank you want), then select a preset, then click the switch at the same time as holding the store button, then cycle through the banks again, then switch the amp off whilst it's displaying the number on the screen (or it won't save). Then, sometimes, it will assign the preset to that switch - but not every time.

It can't be this convoluted really, can it?
:welcome: to the forum.
I'm assuming you are talking about the 4-button switch? (The 2-button just cycles presets up and down)
I haven't used the last of my CODE amps in a while, but IIRC, the footswitch works like this:
You can save 30 presets in 10 banks of 3.
Left button scrolls bank up, other 3 buttons select position in bank - hold to select.
Now button 1 goes back to bank scroll, and buttons 2-4 turn OD, mod, delay on/off.
Everything else is set up in the preset.

When I was using the CODE, I always had the Gateway app open on a tablet (or phone).
Download at:
I used the app to control everything on the amp except for the MV.

Download this to help program presets:
It's easier than using the amp panel.
Use the PC interface to select all the preset options on one screen and hit save on the amp.

dchurch

Reaction score
Oooh! The editor looks like it might solve my problem :) Thank you.

I have the Gateway app, but I can't use it assign presets to switches. It all seems a bit random, and I don't think I'll gig it until I understand how this pedal works :)

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooh! The editor looks like it might solve my problem :) Thank you.

I have the Gateway app, but I can't use it assign presets to switches. It all seems a bit random, and I don't think I'll gig it until I understand how this pedal works :)
The editor is clutch. :yesway:
Don't try the sync function on the pc side - it never worked right for me.
Get the settings you want in the editor on the preset number and hit the save button on the amp.

Once you get the preset the way you want, use the gateway app as a touch-screen control panel.
The app also changes between presets way easier than the footswitch banks shenanigans and adjusts the amp settings way easier than the amp panel knobs.
I just left the footswitch in switch mode to turn the effects on/off like a pedal board.
When I had everything set-up, the only time I touched the amp was for master volume and the on/off switch.