Marshall Code 50 Speaker Upgrades

• Thread starter oachs83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oachs83

Reaction score
Hey guys spent a few hours on the Code 50 bang for the buck really nice unit. However I feel the speaker (which is more than likely the biggest area Marshall saves us and them money) needs attention. I just can not seem to get much low/bass out of it. Have many of you tried other speakers yet? If so what can you recommend and if you have any comparison clips that would be awesome. I play with a Les Paul that has a super distortion in the bridge. Thanks guys.

Ghostman

Reaction score
The CODE speakers were selected with the intention of music playback through it in mind. Not exactly a traditional direction when selecting speakers for an amplifier.

oachs83

Reaction score
All of them, custom ones, I crank the bass and just can't seem to get any low end chunk. My DSL40C has tons of chunk to it. I can hear the Code vibrate to beat hell and anything set on it rattles right off but I can not get any chunk out of it, I am not "feeling" it.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
The CODE speakers were selected with the intention of music playback through it in mind. Not exactly a traditional direction when selecting speakers for an amplifier.

it's exactly the other way around, they've choosen a guitarspeaker and didn't think the added higher fidelity of a full ranger would do better... in an amp that has cab simulation to start with, let alone the fact that a fullranger does a lot better playing music
my take, and i've done it on my 25 already is to put a fullranger in there... a dual cone with a wide frequency response is the way to go imo

oachs83

Reaction score
I'm not saying there is zero bass I am just saying this 12" is not giving me the chunk on the low strings like I am use to. The "plexi" settings get me the closest.

Plectrum

Reaction score
You haven't got the resonance set very low on your patches have you?

oachs83

Reaction score
You haven't got the resonance set very low on your patches have you?

No I keep it a noon as I never really understood what resonance is LOL. I will have to say the louder I play it the more thump I do get. I have had this amp for just a few days so still learning. I still think the bass is on the weak side but I really am finding out you need to just tweak with everything to get solid tones. I am basing off my DSL40c that at much lower volumes get way more thump as I need to have this twice as loud to match that low end. I do have a Celestion V30 in the DSL.

Plectrum

Reaction score
Resonance is (crudely) an ultra-low bass control just as presence is (crudely) an ultra-high treble control. A value of 5/noon should be plenty though. If I were in your position the temptation to try your V30 in the CODE would be too much to deny ;) Switch off the cab emulation though if you do try it and do please let us all know how you got on. BTW you are aware that the various amp models have often significantly different bass responses? Ignoring the non-Marshall models, the JTM45 and Plexi have a lot more bass than the JCM800 or Silver Jubilee (not tried any of the other Marshall models). Maybe you could try your DSL on the ultra-gain channel and compare it with the CODE on it's OD DSL model and a 1974CX cab (which is a 1x12 V30)?

Reaction score
  • Hey guys spent a few hours on the Code 50 bang for the buck really nice unit. However I feel the speaker (which is more than likely the biggest area Marshall saves us and them money) needs attention. I just can not seem to get much low/bass out of it. Have many of you tried other speakers yet? If so what can you recommend and if you have any comparison clips that would be awesome. I play with a Les Paul that has a super distortion in the bridge. Thanks guys.
Im ordering an Eminence, probably a CV-75. Its an 8 ohm so will lose some volume likely but. Ive opened up the cab and the speaker is unbranded and just looks cheap. It cant handle the lows. This cab could sound better semi open in back to eliminate some unwanted vibrations.
WGS et-65 could work too. WGS has speakers that are 4ohm to match whats in there but going up to 8 ohms should work.
I mostly use a J5 telecaster with a Mighty Mite motherbucker in the bridge and that pups hotter than hell.

culpster

Reaction score
Use a different cab sim, or none. Typically the Green back cabs will give you that crunch. Everybody keeps using the 1960 cab for some reason, probably because it is the most widely known. The problem is that most people that have that cab have changed out the speakers to v30's or greenbacks LOL.
Not saying that cab is bad, just bad for what you are trying to get. Also turn down your resonance to kill some of that flubby sound.

sinlimo

Reaction score
I had tons of bass response on hand with my Code 50 and stock speaker (although there were a few models of amps that did have a lighter bass response...can't remember which ones now). I swapped out the stock speaker for a WGS British Lead, tweaked my patches with the cab turned off, and am totally digging it! Plenty of bass response for me.

oachs83

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, between finally understanding that resonance does affect the bass and learning it needs to be at a certain volume minimum to get a decent thump I think it is more operator error than amp. However watching a few youtube videos a speaker upgrade seems to really bring the amp to life. Kleetus mentioned a CV-75 and I saw a couple reviews on the speaker and liked the all around tone. I ordered one today and will be here sometime next week. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, between finally understanding that resonance does affect the bass and learning it needs to be at a certain volume minimum to get a decent thump I think it is more operator error than amp. However watching a few youtube videos a speaker upgrade seems to really bring the amp to life. Kleetus mentioned a CV-75 and I saw a couple reviews on the speaker and liked the all around tone. I ordered one today and will be here sometime next week. Thanks again.
Well hey alright! Let us know how the new speaker sounds. The CV wi get you those V30 ish tones. Ill be putting mine in soon also. The res and presence are critical to each amp model/patch in relationship to tone and bottom end. Just dial up to the higher number presets ,cant remember exactly where it starts but around 50, where the patches are the base amp models without all the effects. Then start tweaking until you find each models sweet spots. Thats what I have been doing for a couple weeks each night. Once you do that you will have a better sound overall barring the garbage stock speaker. Feel free to overwrite any of the first 30 or so presets as they are....terrible lol.:jam:
Cant wait for some feedback on the CV-75!

Matt Custer

Reaction score
I recently read Celestian just came out with a speaker dedicated for modeling amps, the F12-X200. I too, have been tossing around the idea of upgrading my speaker in my Code 50. I'm kind of a novice player, but I enjoy playing around with the Code. I'm actually in the process of re-teaching myself guitar. Also, I've read, to reduce some of that vibrating, try moving the amplifier off the floor. I purchaed a Gator brand amp stand and a high dollar guitar cord. I've experienced none of those issues. Good luck.

Sickriverlespaul

Reaction score
How did the cv75 work out? I was looking at a code just for a practice amp and bing a tone nut knew that’s the first thing to go ... just curious

zero0grav

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a

Celestion F12M-150 Triple Cone Guitar Speaker​

it is 8 ohma and rated 150watt ?

Am looking at that or a 4 ohm WGS Et65 or the G12C/S ?

okbassplayer

Reaction score
Bought one recently to put in my C50 but haven't installed it yet.

I plan to install it the week after Christmas...

Last edited:

okbassplayer

Reaction score
Hey guys spent a few hours on the Code 50 bang for the buck really nice unit. However I feel the speaker (which is more than likely the biggest area Marshall saves us and them money) needs attention. I just can not seem to get much low/bass out of it. Have many of you tried other speakers yet? If so what can you recommend and if you have any comparison clips that would be awesome. I play with a Les Paul that has a super distortion in the bridge. Thanks guys.
I just installed the F12M-150 in my Code 50. Using patch #9 Classic Metal and my Gretsch G2655, which is a semi-hollow body with their Broadtron pickups, it sounds GREAT!!!

Also, I can't tell a bit that the 8 ohm speaker has cost me any power. It's still loud as hell. Bass, I seem to have plenty, but I was happy with the stock speaker, bass-wise.

AndreasAvt275

Reaction score
I just installed the F12M-150 in my Code 50. Using patch #9 Classic Metal and my Gretsch G2655, which is a semi-hollow body with their Broadtron pickups, it sounds GREAT!!!

Also, I can't tell a bit that the 8 ohm speaker has cost me any power. It's still loud as hell. Bass, I seem to have plenty, but I was happy with the stock speaker, bass-wise.
Hey,

My Code 50 has the typical problems:

sounding boxy - just not right, especially when it comes to cab-simulation etc.

Can you recommend the F12M-150 in general when it comes to sound? and is it easy to replace the speaker?

thank you very much! :)

Latest posts