Marshall code

• Thread starter Sickriverlespaul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sickriverlespaul

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am basically looking for a small practice amp that sounds good. The code is inexpensive but I am very unfamiliar with it. I bought a code 100h for a hundred bucks and have an old 2x12 mojocab laying around. What’s the opinion on how they sound? Can you get decent amp sounds out of them? I’ll have to load the cabinet with speakers , I was thinking cv75 8ohm pair. Just curious on experiences with this amp thanks

PelliX

Reaction score
I bought a code 100h for a hundred bucks

Tentative congrats on the new amp... :)

What’s the opinion on how they sound?

Some people seem to squeeze the odd decent tone out of them. I couldn't. Many seem to agree.

I’ll have to load the cabinet with speakers

Ah, so it's currently just empty? You *could* put some nice speakers in there, though, honestly - I'd probably flip the CODE (certainly if you can get your $100 back) and put that together the money for the speakers towards a nice little combo. I'm rather steadfast in my "all valve" approach, but if you dig solid state and want something decent, how about a Katana combo? There's a lot of love for the PG Spark amps, Yamaha and a few others.

Despite my valve obsession, I've honestly put a Katana on my "someday" list. The Sparks to me are just so shoddily built that I refuse to pay any significant amount of money for them, but that applies to the CODEs as well. I recently had a go through a little Yamaha T-something - that was fairly OK.

Sorry if I ended up slagging your amp and telling you to flog it, just personal opinion, of course. Those Katanas *are* sexy though....

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am basically looking for a small practice amp that sounds good. The code is inexpensive but I am very unfamiliar with it. I bought a code 100h for a hundred bucks and have an old 2x12 mojocab laying around. What’s the opinion on how they sound? Can you get decent amp sounds out of them? I’ll have to load the cabinet with speakers , I was thinking cv75 8ohm pair. Just curious on experiences with this amp thanks
1. Congrats on the new amp.
2. Get the Gateway app on a phone or tablet - way easier than using the knobs to set up some presets on the amp.
3. Where are you on the planet? - I have a pair of 12" CODE speakers that I'd send you for the cost of shipping.

PelliX

Reaction score
1. Congrats on the new amp.
2. Get the Gateway app on a phone or tablet - way easier than using the knobs to set up some presets on the amp.
3. Where are you on the planet? - I have a pair of 12" CODE speakers that I'd send you for the cost of shipping.

I'll raise @fitz 's offer with a Celestion Seventy/80. I'm in Europe. :D

jeffb

Reaction score
It sounds far better direct to your computer/interface than it does in the room. That's not to say you cannot have some fun with them, at times I still plug into it. But it does not sound like an actual amplifier in the room. It sounds like a recording of a recording.

The closest I was able to get it to sound like an actual traditional guitar amp was by running the headphone out (on my Code 25) to the return of my Origin 20 (bypassing the Ori preamp) , and that goes into my 2x12 with H30 55hz and M25 75hz. Then I disabled the cab sim on the code. The JTM45 model sounded the most like a real amp set up this way. That said, a Friedman DS pedal run into the Origin set for cleans sounded more realistic A/Bing them back and forth.

I keep thinking I'll convert it over to having a speaker jack and get one of those Celestion FX200 speakers to try, but that is an expensive experiment, and I need/want other toys.

MarshallForum427

Reaction score
You can get a decent sound out of it if you get a iPad so you can see the APP better, you have to download all those User Presets, I couldn't get a decent until I did all those, a 12inch speaker is a must for my ears, I can come very close to my original Jubilee by modifying someone elses Preset

Latest posts